This week on SVENGOOLIE...

TikiSoo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by TikiSoo »

Wow, never thought Svengoolie would result in such a heated debate. My favorite demon of all time-

As with most Hammer, I found last night's offering a complete bore. The players seem to be over-acting but maybe that's a result of really lousy dialogue - I'm never engaged by a Hammer film.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:55 am Wow, never thought Svengoolie would result in such a heated debate. My favorite demon of all time-

As with most Hammer, I found last night's offering a complete bore. The players seem to be over-acting but maybe that's a result of really lousy dialogue - I'm never engaged by a Hammer film.
My favorite demon too!

Last night's film was indeed a bore. I had never seen it. They seemed to be trying to conflate a vampire movie with a devil-worshipping cult movie, like The Black Cat (1934). Just didn't work.

There was so much Latin at the beginning, I was wondering if it was authentic and really meant something!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_worship: :smiley_clap:

unfortunately, it looks like it's Creature from the Black Lagoon
...again :?
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Aw, too bad. I've never seen Killer Clowns From Outer Space. But I've seen Creature numerous times-several times in 3D in a theater.
The Universal horror library is limited and I've been over-exposed, but well, I'm a senior citizen.

I'm glad there's a TV show that introduces a new audience to these classics. Especially with 3 Stooges shorts first, replicating my childhood theater-going experience.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

2/4: Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) w/ Richard Carlson, Julie Adams, Richard Denning, Antonio Moreno, Nestor Paiva, Whit Bissell, Ben Chapman and Ricou Browning.

2/11: Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) w/ John Vernon, Royal Dano and Christopher Titus. So you still have the opportunity to catch it, TikiSoo!

2/18: Duel (1971) w/ Dennis Weaver. Written by Richard Matheson. And directed by Steven Spielberg.

2/25: War of the Gargantuas (1966) w/ Russ Tamblyn, Kumi Mizuno and Kenji Sahara.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

LiamCasey wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:05 am This month on Svengoolie...
So you still have the opportunity to catch it, TikiSoo!
YAY! Thanks for the list! I've never seen Duel & don't recall the other. But I'm a huge Russ Tamblyn fan, so sure to like it.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:31 am
YAY! Thanks for the list! I've never seen Duel & don't recall the other. But I'm a huge Russ Tamblyn fan, so sure to like it.
War of the Gargantuas is a Japanese movie, with Tamblyn added to generate international appeal. It's interesting, but really goofy.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ANOTHER HARD PASS! :(
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:27 pm
TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:31 am
War of the Gargantuas is a Japanese movie, with Tamblyn added to generate international appeal. It's interesting, but really goofy.
Did they add Tamblyn in the style of Burr, or was Tamblyn in it from the start?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:26 pm
Did they add Tamblyn in the style of Burr, or was Tamblyn in it from the start?
He was in it from the start, much as Nick Adams was in Invasion of Astro-Monster and Frankenstein vs Barugon, the latter of which War of the Gargantuas is a sort-of sequel to.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

2/25: War of the Gargantuas (1966) w/ Russ Tamblyn, Kumi Mizuno and Kenji Sahara.
IMO, The War of the Gargantuas is a superior kaiju eiga, distinguished by the hit song (Number 1 with a bullet on Monster Island!) The Words Get Stuck in My Throat by Kipp Hamilton ("Miss Optometry of 1953"!).

"If I had a hidden microphone inside of my heart
I would turn the power on"

Eat your heart out, Cole Porter!

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:19 pm
IMO, The War of the Gargantuas is a superior kaiju eiga, distinguished by the hit song (Number 1 with a bullet on Monster Island!) The Words Get Stuck in My Throat by Kipp Hamilton ("Miss Optometry of 1953"!).

"If I had a hidden microphone inside of my heart
I would turn the power on"

Eat your heart out, Cole Porter!

Thanks for that EP! I'm not familiar with the movie, or the song. I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:52 pm I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
Funny you should mention that. In another thread I was talking about Bollywood Horror. I said, "You've never seen a Vampire movie until you've seen one with song & dance numbers"

This is my favorite:

The most famous is from Gunum '65, the one Thora Birch dances to in GHOST WORLD, but you do not get a sense of how it fits in. Here's a better example (super corny) from the same movie:

https://youtu.be/pgeyRvKTFdc
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:52 pm . . . I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
If you love Ann's performance in The Mummy's Curse, I suspect that you also enjoy "Faro-la Faro-li" performed by Adia Kuznetzoff in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields