Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:24 am I was prepared to stay up for the entire line-up (Christopher Walken unforgettable in BILOXI BLUES, lol) but fell asleep during the first five minutes of PORTNOY. Don't know if I should be happy or sad about that.

LOL!!!! It's been so long since I've seen it, I can't say for sure. I remember the scathing reviews and the film disappeared after a couple weeks. I found the film disappointing compared to the book at the time, but don't remember thinking it was as awful as everyone said. Because of the language, it never had a network showing and has been pretty much forgotten. I remember Karen Black being good in it.

I would've watched Biloxi Blues again, but didnt see the line up until the film was almost over. Agree about Walken. LOL.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I was hoping they'd run GOODBYE, COLUMBUS. That's a favorite of mine since I grew up with those people back in the Bronx.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

That one rarely shows up. I think they've shown it, but it's Paramount. The problem with Portnoy is they didn't want an x rating so it came across as tasteless but genteel. Not a good mix!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I really like Richard Benjamin in GOODBYE, COLUMBUS but they probably should have gone with George Segal for PORTNOY.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:10 pm I really like Richard Benjamin in GOODBYE, COLUMBUS but they probably should have gone with George Segal for PORTNOY.
I think they also considered Gene Wilder for Portnoy.....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I could see that if they were going for Funny Neurotic.

CI, I don't mean to put you on the spot but, Jessica or Glenn?
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:08 pm I could see that if they were going for Funny Neurotic.

CI, I don't mean to put you on the spot but, Jessica or Glenn?
Are you referring to Jessica Lange and Glenn Close? If that is the case, I would say Jessica Lange, largely due to her fine work in Frances, Country and Music Box, although Glenn Close is also a fine actress. I was depressed for days after she lost the Oscar in 2019. She deserved that win for The Wife.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Sorry, I meant who do you think was more effective as an obsessive female nutjob, Jessica Walters in PLAY MISTY FOR ME or Glenn Close in FATAL ATTRACTION? A few people have weighed in (I myself opt for Walters) and I'd love to have your opinion.
CinemaInternational

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 2:39 pm Sorry, I meant who do you think was more effective as an obsessive female nutjob, Jessica Walters in PLAY MISTY FOR ME or Glenn Close in FATAL ATTRACTION? A few people have weighed in (I myself opt for Walters) and I'd love to have your opinion.
Walters. Close was hamstrung by that ending, and quite frankly prior to that ending, I felt she would harm herself before anyone else. Walters was just very chillingly effective. Ironic that Donna mills was playing the "good girl" in that film as she was so convincing as a manipulator on Knots landing.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, CI! And agree about Donna Mills.

Oops -- I should have asked you the Walters vs. Close question in my Musings thread, not here. Sorry about that -- I think I need more coffee.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:10 pm I really like Richard Benjamin in GOODBYE, COLUMBUS but they probably should have gone with George Segal for PORTNOY.
I watched Portnoy over the wknd. Pretty tame by today's standards. It's hard to to believe the uproar it caused at the time. It's nowhere as explicit as the book and way too mainstream. I don't know what Lehman was aiming for but it fails on all counts. I was pretty bored during parts of it (particularly the trip to N.H. or Vermont or whatever it was). Karen Black was good as I remembered, but not much else to recommend it. Some stuff in the film was never in the book and much of the book was left out in the film, particularly his younger years. The book was probably unfilmable and they needn't have bothered.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ernest Lehman was a fine screenwriter but I cannot imagine him as a director, and most especially with that kind of material.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:14 pm Ernest Lehman was a fine screenwriter but I cannot imagine him as a director, and most especially with that kind of material.
He was. He should've passed on this one. Except for the language in spots it was like a PG version of the book.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

SINCERELY YOURS -- Liberace goes deaf. Decides to do a REAR WINDOW and use special WWII binoculars to spy on random people in Central Park from his penthouse patio so he can more effectively learn to lip read from a distance. This inappropriate behavior is encouraged by his doctor and manager. In the midst of this peep fest Lee discovers certain individuals on the benches who need help so he goes into Good Samaritan mode in order to take care of their life problems. Two women vie for Lib's affections, Joanne Dru and Dorothy Malone. I couldn't have been more surprised than if they had been Jayne Mansfield and Yvette Vickers. Chopin, The Beer Barrel Polka, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling and a host of other favorites are performed by the personably wooden Liberace, who also treats us to some deft tap dancing in between keyboard numbers. This special brand of '50's kitsch will move you to tears.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 10th, 2023, 6:42 pm SINCERELY YOURS -- Liberace goes deaf. Decides to do a REAR WINDOW and use special WWII binoculars to spy on random people in Central Park from his penthouse patio so he can more effectively learn to lip read from a distance. This inappropriate behavior is encouraged by his doctor and manager. In the midst of this peep fest Lee discovers certain individuals on the benches who need help so he goes into Good Samaritan mode in order to take care of their life problems. Two women vie for Lib's affections, Joanne Dru and Dorothy Malone. I couldn't have been more surprised than if they had been Jayne Mansfield and Yvette Vickers. Chopin, The Beer Barrel Polka, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling and a host of other favorites are performed by the personably wooden Liberace, who also treats us to some deft tap dancing in between keyboard numbers. This special brand of '50's kitsch will move you to tears.
I watched about 15 minutes today. Dreadful. LIBERACE could not act. Poor DOROTHY MALONE. I think I need to see more of this farce! He just "...loves talking to all of you..." 4 old ladies while sitting on the edge of the stage he was invited to play on from the audience he was in... The big lady is invited to touch Anthony Marin...she's delighted. :roll: