Noir Alley on TCM

jamesjazzguitar

Re: Noir Alley on TCM

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:55 am
ElCid wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:16 am Well, y'all have succeeded. I have sent a request to the administrators to be removed from SSO.
Not "y'all", just one troublemaker.
I don't see any troublemaker. Can't people have a sense of humor at this forum? No one was insulted.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:58 am
TikiSoo wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:55 am
ElCid wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:16 am Well, y'all have succeeded. I have sent a request to the administrators to be removed from SSO.
Not "y'all", just one troublemaker.
I don't see any troublemaker. Can't people have a sense of humor at this forum? No one was insulted.
But James, but James ... oh never mind.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
BingFan

Post by BingFan »

I just saw Eddie Muller’s outro for the 2/26/23 edition of Noir Alley. He said Noir Alley would be off until May because of: 1) 31 Days of Oscar in March; and 2) a Warner Bros. tribute in April.

For me, this is a big disappointment. One of the reasons I don’t like Oscar month is that Noir Alley, my favorite TCM feature, is preempted. To add another “special” month of preemptions right after that is way too much.

My 2 cents...
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

BingFan wrote: February 26th, 2023, 11:48 am I just saw Eddie Muller’s outro for the 2/26/23 edition of Noir Alley. He said Noir Alley would be off until May because of: 1) 31 Days of Oscar in March; and 2) a Warner Bros. tribute in April.

For me, this is a big disappointment. One of the reasons I don’t like Oscar month is that Noir Alley, my favorite TCM feature, is preempted. To add another “special” month of preemptions right after that is way too much.

My 2 cents...
I totally agree. Two months is way too much of a break.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Why should Eddie be preempted by some Warner Bros salute?????? Is this a 24 hr/7 day week marathon ALL MONTH??????

Don't they show WB films half the schedule (at LEAST) as it is????????? WHY do they need a salute?????? LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RIDICULOUS!!!!
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

Just as an FYI, I've found some great noirs streaming on Prime. One has to pay for some of them, but many are free with a Prime membership. Also, the MOVIES network shows film noirs on Thursdays. I usually record them so I can fast-forward through the commercials. I'll miss Eddie's comments, but as Gloria Gaynor sang "I Will Survive".
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hoganman1 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:10 am Just as an FYI, I've found some great noirs streaming on Prime. One has to pay for some of them, but many are free with a Prime membership. Also, the MOVIES network shows film noirs on Thursdays. I usually record them so I can fast-forward through the commercials. I'll miss Eddie's comments, but as Gloria Gaynor sang "I Will Survive".
Are the noirs streaming on Prime associated with any specific studios? E.g., 20 Century Fox or Universal?

I ask because MOVIES-TV is associated with Fox and Get-TV Columbia. Of course, TCM is highly associated with Warner Bros., RKO, and MGM.

I believe Universal noir films (as well as Universal film in general), are the most "unavailable" (as it relates to a network that features them).

While I wish there were not commercials on MOVIES-TV, the station does have Noir Thursday Night, and Noir Sunday (most of the day and night). E.g. last Sunday was all of the Dana Andrews Fox noir films.
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

31 days of movies I've seen many times. But who am I to criticize tradition?
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_disco:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I watched Black Angel, although had seen it before. It is entertaining and does not drag like a lot of movies. As Eddie said in the intro, don't look for logic as Cornell Woolrich did not care about logic - just a good story.
Incidentally, I discovered Hastings Mystery Theater on YouTube. About 250 1930's and '40's mystery movies. The guy behind it put them together for a local access channel and now it has been uploaded to YouTube. The quality is very good.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Saw BLACK ANGEL for the first time last night. Interesting "doubling" aspect of the two married couples. And who doesn't love Dan Duryea? (is the guy who plays that Hollywood columnist the oily salesman whispering to Joe Gillis "as long as the lady is paying, why not take the vicuna?" in SUNSET BOULEVARD?)
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Here is a Cornell Woolrich based film that unfortunately completely changes the entire setup of the novel.

The 1943 novel takes place in New York City, The 1946 film adaptation unfortunately moves everything to Los Angeles. That wipes out the entire searching The Bowery flophouses for "Heartbreak" sequence. Though, interestingly enough Heartbreak shows up in the film as a song on a record.

In the novel the main protagonist is a woman Alberta Murray. The first inkling that something is wrong is when her husband stops calling her by his pet name for her, "Angel Face." Then she finds a solid gold powder compact engraved "To Mia from Marty," in Kirk's overcoat pocket. Kirk tells Alberta that he found it on the street. When the next day it is gone, and she asks about it, Kirk tells her that he took it to a jewelers and left it there when the jeweler told him it was just a gilt metal fake. Suspicious because she noticed a "14 k," Alberta visits the jeweler who tells her Kirk was never there. Alberta now suspects her husband Kirk's infidelity with Mia Mercer, a woman of somewhat loose morals whose real profession is left to the imagination. Woolrich describes a publicity photo of her as a scantily clad "attraction," at a place called Dave Hennessey's The Hermitage. Probably a topless showgirl or a stripper. (In the film the name Mia Mercer is changed to Mavis Marlowe and she is now a nightclub singer).

Alberta, after finding a valise and two of Kirk's suits missing, thinks her husband is going off on a weekend trip with Mia.

Alberta decides to go and do something about it. She sleuths out Mia's address from The Hermitage and goes to confront her in person. Mia lives in a posh apartment that has various pieces of bric-a-brac festooned with her initials MM. When she gets to Mia's apartment building she finds the door to Mia's unlocked and Mia in her bedroom laying on the floor, suffocated to death with a pillow. While the threat to her marriage is now defunct, Mia, worried about any scandal connecting Mia to her husband Kirk, grabs Mia's address / telephone book. Leaving the apartment Alberta notices on the way out, that the front door didn't lock because someone, the murderer, jammed a matchbook with a single letter M on it's cover, into the doors lock mechanism. It prevented the bolt from engaging.

Alberta rushes back to her home and frantically tries to get ahold of her husband at his office, to warn him about going to Mia's. It's already too late. When Kirk gets to Mia's the murder has already been discovered, and he is arrested by the police. Various witness statements place Kirk at Mia's apartment many times.

The trial is quick, Kirk is found guilty, and ever loyal Alberta armed with Mia's address book decides to try and find the real murderer before Kirks execution date. In the address book there are four "M's".

Marty ----- Crestview 6-4824

Mordant ---- Atwater 8-7457

Mason -- Butterfield 9-8019

McKee ---- Columbus 4-0011

So the rest of the novel is about Albert's quest to find the killer and exonerate her husband.

The film switches the action from New York to Los Angeles then of course drops the whole Bowery search, all of Dr. Mordant and the drug dealing angle altogether, and combines alcoholic Marty "Heartbreak" Blair and socialite Ladd Mason into pianist/composer Martin Blair. Alberta and Kirk Murray in the novel, are changed to Catherine and Kirk Bennett. Mavis Marlowe (Mia Mercer in the novel) changes from being a slutty playgirl to a slutty blackmailer aka the Black Angel of the film title) The film also expands a police captains role.