Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LawrenceA

Re: Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by LawrenceA »

scsu1975 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 5:26 pm Would you like to take over my "Now Playing 100 Years Ago" thread? I imagine you've seen most of those lost films. :D
I didn't make it to the picture house too often back then. I was working double shifts at the tobacco mines since '11.
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:07 pm
Is it possible there exists out there a classic horror movie that might open that door to epiphany and make horror a real exciting thing on a screen? Where is my Delilah in the horror genre?
Laffite, I wonder if The Old Dark House (1932) might be a horror film that you would like. It's based on a play by J.B. Priestley and features an assortment of creepy characters and no gore. It also includes many traditional horror movie tropes. And Lawrence Olivier's then mother-in-law plays one of the most singular characters!

Gloria Stuart, Eva Moore in The Old Dark House

I came to horror films early in life, when I began watching Shock Theater at the age of about nine. Later, I studied Theology with Jesuits and found that the themes of horror were covered in my coursework. I particularly enjoyed my Demonology course.

But I do understand that some genres just don't appeal to some people. Although I've seen many "Noir" films, that's far from my favorite genre, and I think it gets overplayed among cineastes.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:00 am . . . I read your entire post & agreed with Lawrence's response.
Your post comes across like you're baiting for an attack rather than participating in conversation.

Nailed it!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:29 pm . . . I have to laugh up my sleeve at those who don't care for musicals.
Anyone who has not seen RV with Robin Williams should . . .
Yo, Laughing Boy!

I detest Robin Williams, and wouldn't walk across the street to see RV or any of his movies.

People should enjoy what they want to enjoy and not concern themselves about what other folks enjoy or don't enjoy -- let alone offer unsolicited prescriptions on what movies anyone should see.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:04 pm Here's a list of older horror titles that you could try out that are less likely to have extreme content:
And here's a list of newer titles that may contain more "R-rated" material:
Interesting lists. Not a Horror fan, so have only seen a few of these. On the older list, was surprised to see The Uninvited (1944) - that strikes me more as mystery with a ghost. And The Birds (1953) and Psycho (1960) are, well, just Hitchcock. 😆 Now 13 Ghosts (1960) I remember seeing as a kid at a theater with the stupid colored glasses that you could use or not to see the ghosts. I wasn't scared ... or impressed. 😆 I've seen Dracula, Frankenstein and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari mostly just for historical context.

On the newer list, I remember seeing and being bored by The Blair Witch Project (1999); being disappointed in The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) because I thought it would be a scientific crime mystery, and really enjoying The Sixth Sense (1999). I've seen Final Destination (2000) and some of the sequels mostly because I was intrigued by the inventive ways that Death reclaimed those who had escaped it previously.

Now the Stephen King entries are a mixed bag for me. I had watched and enjoyed the unlisted The Dead Zone (1983) several times before I realized that it was based on King's work. So I started collecting and reading his novels. When I watched The Shining (1980) after having read it, I hated it and classified it as Jack Nicholson mugging for the camera. King didn't like it either, so the later mini-series was much, much closer to the book and I liked that. 👍 The only other one that I recall watching was Carrie (1976) which seemed like it had a good cast, but the story was pale compared to the book. After that, I pretty much avoided movie versions of his work except the very good The Stand (1994) mini-series.

Ah, think I got a little carried away with the Horror part. :D
Sepiatone wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:58 pmFor me it's musicals. I generally avoid most
Think I'm the opposite. If it's not rap or rock and it's classified as a Musical, I'm right there to watch it. :yahoo:
jimimac71 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 2:29 pmAnyone who has not seen RV with Robin Williams should. ... Awakenings, also Robin Williams, is a wonderful film.
I'm not much of a Robin Williams fan, so doubt RV would be of much interest to me since a synopsis lists it as a road trip comedy, but I'll agree that Awakenings IS a wonderful film. It's a touching pic based on the real efforts of a doctor to bring catatonic patients back to reality.
Masha wrote: February 28th, 2023, 3:22 pm laffite: Perhaps you might consider horror with no gore. I have been told that most men find: Anita Liberty (1997) to be quite horrific due to the primal fear of having a person such as that in their life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLHGzN-NBX0

TikiSoo: I understand well that the: "misunderstood child has special powers" schtick might not appeal to you. I will be sufficiently forward to suggest that you nevertheless watch: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
I'd classify that film more as a fantasy/adventure rather than Horror. Have the entire series, but have only seen the first couple. 🤷‍♀️
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 4:49 pmThe phonograph I had used a little centerpiece that popped up as needed for different sized records. I never saw anyone use one of those.
Our turnables back in the day weren't so fancy, so we used 'em.
Last edited by dianedebuda on February 28th, 2023, 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LawrenceA wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:40 pm Maybe just accept that it isn't for you, and leave it to the rest of us puerile-minded cretins.
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:04 pm As I said before, it's quite likely that you won't find one that changes your overall opinion of the genre, and that's something you'd probably do better to accept . . .

Here's a list of older horror titles that you could try out that are less likely to have extreme content:

https://letterboxd.com/lawrencea/list/1 ... 1920-1969/

https://letterboxd.com/lawrencea/list/1 ... 0-present/
There's no reason that laffite should like horror movies! People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. I don't see the point of trying to convince or persuade someone to try something if they don't really want to. The "eat your spinach" approach is never good for winning hearts and minds, IMO.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

dianedebuda wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:31 pm
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:04 pm Here's a list of older horror titles that you could try out that are less likely to have extreme content:
Interesting lists. Not a Horror fan, so have only seen a few of these. On the older list, was surprised to see The Uninvited (1944) - that strikes me more as mystery with a ghost. And The Birds (1953) and Psycho (1960) are, well, just Hitchcock. 😆 Now 13 Ghosts (1960) I remember seeing as a kid at a theater with the stupid colored glasses that you could use or not to see the ghosts. I wasn't scared ... or impressed. 😆 I've seen Dracula, Frankenstein and The Cabinet of Dr Caligari mostly just for historical context.

On the newer list, I remember seeing and being bored by The Blair Witch Project (1999); being disappointed in The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) because I thought it would be a scientific crime mystery, and really enjoying The Sixth Sense (1999). I've seen Final Destination (2000) and some of the sequels mostly because I was intrigued by the inventive ways that Death reclaimed those who had escaped it previously.

Now the Stephen King entries are a mixed bag for me. I had watched and enjoyed the unlisted The Dead Zone (1983) several times before I realized that it was based on King's work. So I started collecting and reading his novels. When I watched The Shining (1980) after having read it, I hated it and classified it as Jack Nicholson mugging for the camera. King didn't like it either, so the later mini-series was much, much closer to the book and I liked that. 👍 The only other one that I recall watching was Carrie (1976) which seemed like it had a good cast, but the story was pale compared to the book. After that, I pretty much avoided movie versions of his work except the very good The Stand (1994) mini-series.

Our turnables back in the day weren't so fancy, so we used 'em.
The lists of horror films I posted above are not meant to reflect my favorites, but rather the titles I think best represent the history of the genre and the more important titles throughout the years. There are a few listed that I didn't personally care for (Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, Cannibal Holocaust), but are nonetheless noteworthy milestones in the history of horror films.

I have always had the opposite appraisal of The Shining. I thought the movie was much better than the book (the hedge animals are very dumb, imo), and in fact count it among one of my all-time favorite movies regardless of genre. I thought the mini-series was a pale shadow of the film. The film of Doctor Sleep is very good, though.

I loved The Dead Zone, but thought The Stand mini-series was corny and overlong. I haven't bothered with the newer version.

As for the movies you question being listed as horror, it's a big tent genre. And I don't think I've listed anything that isn't generally considered horror.

And the turntable I had was "back in the day".
Watching until the end.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

EP Millstone wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:33 pm Now, LawrenceA, really. Why bother? laffite does not really have "a desire to know a horror movie that [he] might enjoy." He just wants to needle and poke folks discussing movies that he doesn't like because he feels left out of the conversation.

And there's no reason that laffite should like horror movies! People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. I don't see the point of trying to convince or persuade someone to try something if they don't really want to. The "eat your spinach" approach is never good for winning hearts and minds, IMO.
Laffite and I go way back, so I give him the benefit of the doubt as to his sincerity.

And I've already stated (twice in this thread) that he most likely will just not ever like horror films.

As for recommending movies, that's one of the chief reasons I'm even on these message boards - to find out about films that I might otherwise overlook. So I never mind people bringing up films that they think one "should" watch.

Even when they're as bad as RV. :lol: :smiley_cheers:
Watching until the end.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:21 pmI have always had the opposite appraisal of The Shining. I thought the movie was much better than the book
My biggest problem was that the focus was changed from the kid and his ESP to Jack's trip into dementia.
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:21 pmI loved The Dead Zone, ... I haven't bothered with the newer version.
The newer version is not worth your time, IMO.
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:21 pmAnd the turntable I had was "back in the day".
Well I was going to say that maybe my day goes back further, but I'm only 74 compared to your 123. 😆
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Popeye (eat your spinach) is a laughable movie.
There are plenty of movie stars I don't care for, yet others would disagree.
I don't detest anyone in film or even music.
I have a long list of people who are not favorites.
That could be a reason for some people to avoid some movies because of the cast.
Shelley Duvall is hilarious in Popeye.
Not matter what, I think ratings were not good.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

dianedebuda wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:34 pm
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:21 pmI have always had the opposite appraisal of The Shining. I thought the movie was much better than the book
My biggest problem was that the focus was changed from the kid and his ESP to Jack's trip into dementia.
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:21 pmI loved The Dead Zone, ... I haven't bothered with the newer version.
The newer version is not worth your time, IMO.
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 8:21 pmAnd the turntable I had was "back in the day".
Well I was going to say that maybe my day goes back further, but I'm only 74 compared to your 123. 😆
To clarify, I was referring to the recent version of The Stand, and not the more-recent series version of The Dead Zone, although from what I saw of that, it's a skip, too.

And I thought the film version of The Shining did focus on Danny, as much or more than on Jack. But hey, I know my opinion on the book-vs-film argument in this case is the unpopular one. Most of the book's fans that I've spoken to over the years prefer the book to the film.

One fun thing about classic movie message boards is that everyone thinks they're older than everyone else. We're all fogies in here (at least in spirit, for some).
Watching until the end.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

skimpole wrote: March 1st, 2023, 3:19 am I've never seen Home Alone.

A Touch of Class
Hello Dolly!
I also have never seen HOME ALONE.
Aren't some movies best watched at a certain age? FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF was like that for me - not so amusing watching as a 50 year old teacher.

The last two you mentioned were recent first viewings for me. I loved Class and was blown away by Barbra Streisand's command in Dolly.
There was no doubt she was to become a legend.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

skimpole wrote: March 1st, 2023, 3:19 am I've never seen Home Alone.

I have seen every best picture winner.

I have seen 99.9% of theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies of all time: https://theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_al ... _table.php

I have seen 260 out of 264 of Sight and Sound's top 250 movies of all time (there's a 22-way tie for 243rd): https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/ ... s-all-time

Leaving aside this year's nominees (there are four of which I haven't seen, but which I plan to), these are the last 10 best picture nominees I have not seen, going backwards in time:

Chocolat
The Green Mile
The Postman
Tender Mercies
The Turning Point
A Touch of Class
Hello Dolly!
Alfie
The Russians and Coming, the Russians are Coming
Decision before Dawn

And I have never seen Brigadoon, Oklahoma or Damn Yankees. They never appear on TCM Canada.
Damn Yankees and The Pajama Game were in rights limbo/hell for a very long time. It's only been in the last year or two that they've been more readily available in the US.