Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Sepiatone

Re: Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by Sepiatone »

I have always had the opposite appraisal of The Shining. I thought the movie was much better than the book (the hedge animals are very dumb, imo), and in fact count it among one of my all-time favorite movies regardless of genre. I thought the mini-series was a pale shadow of the film. The film of Doctor Sleep is very good, though.

I loved The Dead Zone, but thought The Stand mini-series was corny and overlong. I haven't bothered with the newer version.

As for the movies you question being listed as horror, it's a big tent genre. And I don't think I've listed anything that isn't generally considered horror.

And the turntable I had was "back in the day".
[/quote]

We'll just have to be content on opposite sides of the fence where THE SHINING is concerned. The kid doing that silly "finger puppet" thing and speaking in that forced gravelly voice was a surprisingly pathetic thing to see in a Kubrick film. I expected much better from him.

THE DEAD ZONE? OK I guess, but I would have liked to see the progression of Struggling door-to-door Bible salesman Greg Stillson to the successful businessman turned maniac political candidate.

Sepiatone
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Up until last year, I had never seen The Goonies. I felt like I was JUST on the cusp of too old to identify with the young kids in the movie, and too young to identify with the older teens. I just couldn't get interested in seeing it. Meanwhile no one else in my age group and younger had that issue, apparently. :lol: I don't know if we can consider The Goonies a classic film at this point, but it's one that comes to mind that "everyone" saw at the time. Except me.

Side note: I didn't care for it last year when I finally DID see it. :lol:
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I like the new avatars from TikiSoo and laffite.
For every movie I haven't seen, there's one I have and choose to mention.
I am not a fan of Cary Grant but love Audrey Hepburn.
Sorry Lomm. Charade gives me the heebie-jeebies.
I can't bring myself to watch Wait Until Dark.
If you want to see a film spotlighting blindness: A Patch of Blue.
I suppose there might already be a thread for stars you don't like except for ...
I like Mickey Rooney in The Black Stallion. You can have the others when he was young.
Giant is too long and I don't like it much.
Favorite Rock Hudson film is Man's Favorite Sport with Paula Prentiss.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

jimimac71 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 3:57 pmI like Mickey Rooney in The Black Stallion. You can have the others when he was young.
I didn't think much of Mickey Rooney until I saw him live at a local dinner theater many years ago. The play was lame, but that man certainly could work an audience. Several years after that, saw him at a large local theater in the national tour of Sugar Babies. Just wow!

-------------

Back to the topic: I finally watched the Godfather movies a year or so ago. Those are hours I'll never get back...
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:33 pm
LawrenceA wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:40 pm Maybe just accept that it isn't for you, and leave it to the rest of us puerile-minded cretins.
LawrenceA wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:04 pm As I said before, it's quite likely that you won't find one that changes your overall opinion of the genre, and that's something you'd probably do better to accept . . .

Here's a list of older horror titles that you could try out that are less likely to have extreme content:

https://letterboxd.com/lawrencea/list/1 ... 1920-1969/

And here's a list of newer titles that may contain more "R-rated" material:

https://letterboxd.com/lawrencea/list/1 ... 0-present/
There's no reason that laffite should like horror movies! People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. I don't see the point of trying to convince or persuade someone to try something if they don't really want to. The "eat your spinach" approach is never good for winning hearts and minds, IMO.
For the record, no one has tried to convince me to watch horror movies. I have requested three persons for recommendations. I say this not for your particular edification, rather to clear the others of your erroneous misconceptions of them.
"Pippo"
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: March 1st, 2023, 9:39 pm
For the record, no one has tried to convince me to watch horror movies. I have requested three persons for recommendations. I say this not for your particular edification, rather to clear the others of your erroneous misconceptions of them.
Laffite, I still think (as I've mentioned elsewhere), that the horror film for you to start with is The Old Dark House (1932), based on a play by J.B. Priestley.

But to continue with my point about horror films being the way certain moods are expressed that were expressed in other ways in earlier centuries, I give you what is basically a horror poem, by your own (presumably) beloved John Donne. If he flourished today, Donne might have been a film maker, and this poem a horror film.

The Apparition

By John Donne

When by thy scorn, O murd'ress, I am dead
And that thou think'st thee free
From all solicitation from me,
Then shall my ghost come to thy bed,
And thee, feign'd vestal, in worse arms shall see;
Then thy sick taper will begin to wink,
And he, whose thou art then, being tir'd before,
Will, if thou stir, or pinch to wake him, think
Thou call'st for more,
And in false sleep will from thee shrink;
And then, poor aspen wretch, neglected thou
Bath'd in a cold quicksilver sweat wilt lie
A verier ghost than I.
What I will say, I will not tell thee now,
Lest that preserve thee; and since my love is spent,
I'had rather thou shouldst painfully repent,
Than by my threat'nings rest still innocent.

Last edited by Swithin on March 1st, 2023, 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite, have you ever watched Robert Wise's The Haunting ?

(...even after well over 50 years since my first viewing of it, I still think it's one of, if not, THE best horror film ever made)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Has anyone here seen an Indian film named Pyaasa (1957)? It's been recommended to me elsewhere, but I'm not crazy about most Indian films that I've seen, with the exception of the Satyajit Ray movies.

It's on Criterion Channel at the moment, but will be expiring at the end of the month, so I'm debating whether to watch it or not before it leaves.
Watching until the end.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Come to think of it(which I rarely do) I've never seen BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. Just never sounded appealing to me.

Sepiatone
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

skimpole wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:24 pm I have seen it. It's OK, I don't have particularly strong feelings about it, but I might rewatch it if it was on TCM and it didn't strike me as worse as most honored American films from 1957.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. :smiley_cheers:
Watching until the end.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

I was watching Sabata (1969) last night when it hit me that I've never seen Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). There are obviously some major holes in my genre education! :oops:
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

skimpole wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:24 pm I have seen it. It's OK, I don't have particularly strong feelings about it, but I might rewatch it if it was on TCM and it didn't strike me as worse as most honored American films from 1957.
I see now that there's another film by the same director, 1959's Paper Flowers/Kaagaz Ke Phool, that's also leaving the Criterion Channel, so I'll probably watch them both.
Watching until the end.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I feel as though most of my big omissions among classics are foreign language titles. Many are hard to find around here, so I have gone without seeing some big ones, like Seven Samurai.

Big English-Language omissions:
The Man with No Name Trilogy
Dirty Harry
Once Upon a Time in the West
Paths of Glory
Scarface (1983)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Halloween (1978)
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
The Servant

I'd have to think of some others. I feel like I have, otherwise, in large part exhausted most of the best known English-language titles from the 20th Century. What's mostly left are the lesser-known titles. I'm not the most well-versed on 21st century films, although I have chipped away a bit at those the last few days.