A Little Life: Devastating New Play

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

A Little Life: Devastating New Play

Post by Swithin »

I'm in London at the moment and saw the English-language premiere of A Little Life, a play directed by Ivo van Hove, based on the novel by Hanya Yanagihara. It's one of the most powerful and disturbing plays I've ever seen. James Norton (as Jude) is brilliant as a deeply damaged man who was abused by monks as a child and forced into violent prostitution as a child/teen. The scars of his childhood lead him to a life of self harm. Here is the warning email I received from the Richmond Theatre, a few days before attending the play:

"We want to make you aware that this production includes strong language, nudity, sexual violence, physical and emotional abuse, self-harm, and suicide. These themes are not just suggested but will be portrayed throughout the production realistically and emotively which some viewers may find upsetting. It is intended for mature audiences and viewer discretion is advised."

To give one example: As a boy in a school run by monks (who abused Jude sexually), Jude steals a cigarette lighter. When he is found out, one of the monks pours olive oil on his hand and sets it aflame with the lighter. Decades later, during the time of the play, Jude promises his boyfriend that he won't cut himself, while the boyfriend is away. Instead, Jude pours olive oil on his hand and sets it alight. But most of the self harm is inflicted by razor blades. The play makes clear, in the course of the action, which moves back and forth to various periods in Jude's life, that the brutality he experienced has led to his compulsion to self harm. There are a couple of scenes of abuse and violent sex that are unbearable to witness. Norton bravely plays many of the scenes in the nude. Yet there is beauty in this play, even though the ultimate result is a character who simply wants to die.

The play takes place in New York City. The contemporary scenes feature Jude and his friends, who try to help him. More about this when I feel I can write more. This play is not for everyone; I saw people turn away during several scenes. Yet it is riveting.

A Little Life played at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in Dutch several months ago, prompting The New York Times critic to ask: "How much suffering can the protagonist -- and the audience -- endure?"