Oscar Nominations

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Hibi »

Really???? Good detective work! Doesn't seem that long ago. I wonder how I missed it? I'm pretty sure I watched it (maybe online). Maybe I just forgot. I'll stop complaining now. LOL (at least about Sally!)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:55 pm Really???? Good detective work! Doesn't seem that long ago. I wonder how I missed it? I'm pretty sure I watched it (maybe online). Maybe I just forgot. I'll stop complaining now. LOL (at least about Sally!)
The one thing that was a bit unusual for her clip was that the brief image of her did not come from MASH but looked to be around the mid 80s when she was in That's life and Back to School.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Sepiatone wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:41 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm
Sepiatone wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:25 am Due to me not seeing any of the movies that may have been nominated or any of the people in those movies that may have been nominated I'll be looking at something else tonight.
A sister in law of mine though, and who hates Jimmy Kimmel with a passion said she'd watch if it was guaranteed that someone would walk up on the stage and slap the snot out of Jimmy Kimmel .

Your sister-in-law could probably benefit from professional counseling.
Many counselors offer family rates.
Obviously a Kimmel fan. And one who needs to expand their sense of humor.

Encouraging others to expand their concept of humor to include amusement at the physical assault of another person is an indication of a potentially deeper disturbance. When counseling alone is not sufficient to address the problem, drug therapies have proven to be effective in some cases. A primary care provider should be able to provide the necessary referrals.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Expanding the sense of humor is also being able to discern if and when someone is being facetious and pulling the proverbial leg in order to prevent them from babbling pretentiously in vain effort to appear smarter or more emphatic then they actually are with supercilious verbiage. ;)

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Sepiatone wrote: March 16th, 2023, 10:46 am Expanding the sense of humor is also being able to discern if and when someone is being facetious and pulling the proverbial leg in order to prevent them from babbling pretentiously in vain effort to appear smarter or more emphatic then they actually are with supercilious verbiage. ;)

Sepiatone
Someone here needs therapy and it isn't you.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 16th, 2023, 11:37 am
Sepiatone wrote: March 16th, 2023, 10:46 am Expanding the sense of humor is also being able to discern if and when someone is being facetious and pulling the proverbial leg in order to prevent them from babbling pretentiously in vain effort to appear smarter or more emphatic then they actually are with supercilious verbiage. ;)

Sepiatone

And the fact that the two of you can't tell he's "taking the piss", as the Brits say, just makes it funnier.
Watching until the end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

LawrenceA wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Sepiatone

And the fact that the two of you can't tell he's "taking the piss", as the Brits say, just makes it funnier.
Everyone can benefit from therapy.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

LawrenceA wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Sepiatone

"He" Who? Originally, it was my sister in law's comment that was facetious, and for some reason you saw it as opportunity to insult somebody you haven't met and will never meet, in some pathological need to feel smugly superior. And the sad thing is that it had the opposite effect. I would have expected better from you Lawrence. :(

Sepiatone
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Sepiatone wrote: March 17th, 2023, 11:58 am
"He" Who? Originally, it was my sister in law's comment that was facetious, and for some reason you saw it as opportunity to insult somebody you haven't met and will never meet, in some pathological need to feel smugly superior. And the sad thing is that it had the opposite effect. I would have expected better from you Lawrence. :(

Sepiatone
I never said anything about your sister, Holden did. All I did was laugh at you chastising people about not being able to take a joke while at the same time not being able to take a joke, or else recognize one.

However, I expected no better from you.
Watching until the end.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Sepiatone wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:25 am A sister in law of mine though, and who hates Jimmy Kimmel with a passion said she'd watch if it was guaranteed that someone would walk up on the stage and slap the snot out of Jimmy Kimmel . :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Cool. My kind of girl.

Kimmel is a turd.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

LawrenceA wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:24 pm

Sepiatone
I never said anything about your sister, Holden did. All I did was laugh at you chastising people about not being able to take a joke while at the same time not being able to take a joke, or else recognize one.

You're right, upon review it was Holden. So an apology is given.

However, Holden's initial response did seem more condescending than facetious, and by the way, if adequate attention was paid, you might have realized it was my sister IN LAW, not my sister( Who does like Kimmel) who made the comment. ;)

Sepiatone
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LawrenceA wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:24 pm

Sepiatone

Yes, Lawrence, a scolding for "not being able to take a joke" from someone who can't recognize a joke himself is laughable.

But, like you, I expected no better from him.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Sepiatone wrote: March 16th, 2023, 10:46 am Expanding the sense of humor is also being able to discern if and when someone is being facetious and pulling the proverbial leg in order to prevent them from babbling pretentiously in vain effort to appear smarter or more emphatic then they actually are with supercilious verbiage.
I certainly was not trying to appear smarter than I am.
Although I am smart.

By the way, "pulling one's leg" is an idiom, not a proverb.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: March 16th, 2023, 11:37 am Someone here needs therapy and it isn't you.
LawrenceA wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:27 pm And the fact that the two of you can't tell he's "taking the piss", as the Brits say, just makes it funnier.
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:06 pm . . By the way, "pulling one's leg" is an idiom, not a proverb.
This exchange is the kind of biting, acerbic repartee that upsets SSO members who are hypersensitive cream puff-tattletales and induces migraines in SSO administrators and mods but which always tickles my funny bone and secures my SSO membership.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

t's Oscar night and I saw all the nominees in the Best Supporting Actor category.

THE NOMINEES

Sterling K. Brown in American Fiction
Robert DeNiro in Killers Of The Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr. In Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling in Barbie
Mark Ruffalo in Poor Things

I didn't think any of them were really outstanding, but I thought DeNiro was the best. It is one of his better performances in recent years and a role that he can really sink his teeth into. The character starts off one way and gradually we get to see who he really is later on. I don't think he will win, Downey Jr. appears to be the favorite, he was OK, not Oscar worthy IMO.