The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
Masha

Post by Masha »

Three frustrated tarts living in a repressed and repressive small town forget the old adage: "Be careful what you wish for" and accidentally conjure the perfect man.

I trust that this movie was very much of its time. The fact that that was in the last century in a particularly uninspired decade means its resonance is lost on me.

The cast is nearly beyond reproach but for incidentals. Jack Nicholson's hairstyle is the worst this side of Niflheim. Cher has the flounciest chest of her career. I suspect that Susan Sarandon performed while on day passes from a rehab clinic. I have no idea what Michelle Pfeiffer thought she was doing.

The gem is: Carel Struycken as the enigmatic butler: Fidel. He is sheer perfection! Some may know him as Troi's mother's manservant in: Star Trek:The Degeneration or as Lurch in: The Addams Family (1991) and: Addams Family Values (1993). His very presence and disciplined manner brings in a surreal aspect.

The production values were quite high even although the cinematography occasionally used cheap tricks. The special effects were obviously conceived, designed and implemented by Mrs. Murphy's fifth grade class.

I am glad that I watched this movie but I feel absolutely no compulsion to buy the DVD for repeat viewings.

5.1/12

This movie is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Allhallowsday

Re: The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

Post by Allhallowsday »

Masha wrote: December 18th, 2022, 10:58 pm ... His very presence and disciplined manner brings in a surreal aspect...
He adds, but does not bring in surreal.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

The book (which I read) was so much better.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Memorable Moment (and a Moment of Truth, IMO)

POLL: Do you want a Like button?
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 19th, 2022, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Put over by a strong cast and strong visuals. I liked it considerably more than I thought I would.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 18th, 2022, 11:27 pm
Masha wrote: December 18th, 2022, 10:58 pm ... His very presence and disciplined manner brings in a surreal aspect...
My resident authority states my construction is correct. "His 'presence' and 'manner' are immaterial entities capable of any action. This includes revealing, defining or bringing in a previously unknown aspect."
Masha

Post by Masha »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 19th, 2022, 3:37 pm Put over by a strong cast and strong visuals. I liked it considerably more than I thought I would.
I believe the script would have led to a very mediocre movie if it had not been for the cast's and the cinematography's strengths.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Masha wrote: December 19th, 2022, 3:49 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: December 18th, 2022, 11:27 pm
My resident authority states my construction is correct. "His 'presence' and 'manner' are immaterial entities capable of any action. This includes revealing, defining or bringing in a previously unknown aspect."
My point was simply the whole story is "surreal".
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I'll watch anything that has Michelle in it.

Susan's great too.
Masha

Post by Masha »

skimpole wrote: March 29th, 2023, 2:04 am I haven't seen the movie or read the book. Does the movie have this line from the book: "Being a divorcee in a small town is a little like playing Monopoly: eventually you land on all the properties"?
I am sorry to saythat I do not recall the line
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Best thing about the movie to me is the John Williams score. Don't usually care much for Nicholson, but his mugging fits just right here.

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Y'know....

I'm still wondering what that favorite fruit of his that he brought as a gift was. :?

Sepiatone