Had to create a new email to get here....

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
KayFrancis

Re: Had to create a new email to get here....

Post by KayFrancis »

Welcome CJ. Looking forward to your noir posts. I had to change my moniker, I also joined years ago as lavenderblue19 but had trouble getting back on the site so I had to change my moniker.
It's a fun site and so many of our old crowd are here. Glad to see you here.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Welcome! Glad to see some of the old board regulars turning up here.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

If you go to the bottom of the page, click on members and it will give you a members list by date. Jump to the end to see the recent immigrants. There were some old members like me who joined years ago but I wasn't active for years as the board here seemed to be dead. Some old TCM members changed their names or had to (like in your case). I kept mine.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I can change the username for you I think. There is no old account cigarjoe, so if you want it to be that or "cigarthejoe" I can do either. Need to know from you because you'll have to log in with the new name so I want to be sure you see this and tell me...don't want to lock you out again so quickly!
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

LawrenceA wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:35 pmI sent ya a [a rundown on who migrated and what's their new handles] PM.
I'd like to see that too. I was one of the oldest TCM members (by join date), but rarely posted even though I visited just about everyday.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:35 pm
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe wrote: March 30th, 2023, 4:44 pm LA do give me a rundown on who migrated and what's their new handles if they have any. I see you don't have a new one. I couldn't create CigarJoe because it uses a forbidden word "cigar." I guess, lol. Or since I've been here before I probably used it for that account, lol.
I sent ya a PM.
Lawrence,
Could you send me one too? I'm still confused about new members here who changed their tcm screen names. I can't keep them straight.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

dianedebuda wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:27 am
LawrenceA wrote: March 30th, 2023, 5:35 pmI sent ya a [a rundown on who migrated and what's their new handles] PM.
I'd like to see that too. I was one of the oldest TCM members (by join date), but rarely posted even though I visited just about everyday.
Me too!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I had an awkward situation where I created a post, but was told I needed to log in to submit it.
That made no sense since it is necessary to be logged in to create a post.
I was using my tablet versus my PC.
I wonder if occasionally there is a hiccup of some sort that gets in the way.
Needless to say I lost the entire post.
I also had trouble getting started here.
It was still necessary to get a code back from Admin. It never worked.
Then the email code requirement was removed.
I had to join using a new member name but Lomm fixed everything for me.
That's that good thing. Lomm seems to be the primary or only IT guy here, but is consistently helpful.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 11:31 am Lomm seems to be the primary or only IT guy here, but is consistently helpful.
Only. :) And thank you!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 11:31 am I had an awkward situation where I created a post, but was told I needed to log in to submit it.
That made no sense since it is necessary to be logged in to create a post.
I was using my tablet versus my PC.
I wonder if occasionally there is a hiccup of some sort that gets in the way.
Needless to say I lost the entire post.
I also had trouble getting started here.
It was still necessary to get a code back from Admin. It never worked.
Then the email code requirement was removed.
I had to join using a new member name but Lomm fixed everything for me.
That's that good thing. Lomm seems to be the primary or only IT guy here, but is consistently helpful.
I've run into this sort of thing on occasion as well jimimac, and so here's what I do whenever this happens to me.

After you enter your post and the sign-in function appears instead, go up to the top left of your screen and hit your previous page arrow. This has always returned me back to the comment that I had been attempting to post in full. I then just right-click copy that comment, and then hit submit again and which takes me back to the sign-in function again and I sign back into SSO. I then pull up the thread and the posting I was attempting to reply to again, hit the quote function on it again, and paste the comment I had previously been attempting to post.

(...now, I have no idea why this keeps happening and especially because when I get that sign-in page that appears, I always check the "remember me" box in it...perhaps Lomm might know why this keeps happening?)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Gee Dargo, thought it was just me.
The first time it happened I was able to back arrow like you said.
Not so lucky the second time. The back arrow took me too far back and the message was empty.
I use a tablet a lot for this stuff and that is where the trouble occurs.
My PC is hardwired via Ethernet to the Web. Naturally my tablets are WiFi.
Not sure if there is a connection or not. Oh, perhaps a little pun.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Welcome, CigarJoe! Enjoyed your postings on the TCM site so am glad to see you here.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Dargo wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:30 pm (...now, I have no idea why this keeps happening and especially because when I get that sign-in page that appears, I always check the "remember me" box in it...perhaps Lomm might know why this keeps happening?)
Early on there was an issue where if you logged in from a different IP address (every computer has a unique number address, which many internet providers change regularly), you'd get that behavior. I adjusted it so that if only some part of the address was different, you wouldn't get it anymore. However, some internet providers may change more than just the last couple of digits, which might cause this issue.

Because of the influx of spammers lately I'm reluctant to make another change which may make it even easier for more of those. But if this becomes a big problem I can reconsider. Of course, it MAY not even be the problem, but we could try. :lol:
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I've only had the login problem twice. Both times on a tablet.
There was a strange post about 3 days ago, in a language I could not recognize.
I hit the report button.
Some of us remember the huge spam issue with the old TCM forum.
There is a thread "over there" about people having trouble registering here.
I complain about 2 factor authorization, mostly Apple, but many others use it too.
The TCM forum had to use email verification to get rid of the spam.
I do appreciate how SSO requires a membership to post.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

There's no winning, really. If I make it very easy to register (as I have done) then it also makes it easier for spam accounts to get in. There is the "captcha" part of the registration, which saves us from a LOT of spammers, but some of them are going to get by.

On the other hand, if I make people jump through hoops to register...they just aren't going to. :lol: I'd rather spend a little time banning and deleting spammers. Unless it gets out of control, that is.