I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Road To Salina aka La Route de Salina (1970) Neo Noir Film Soleil - Written & Directed by Georges Lautner (The Professional (1981), La maison assassinée ).

The film is based on Maurice Cury's novel La Route de Salina. Pascal Jardin and Jack Miller contributing dialogue and assisting with the adaptation. The excellent cinematography was by Maurice Fellous, Music by Christophe (Kill Bill), Clinic and Bernard Gérard.

The film stars Mimsy Farmer (The Outer Limits TV Series, 1963–1965, The Girl from Trieste) ) as Billie Salerno, Robert Walker (Route 66, The Naked City, Easy Rider) as Jonas / Rocky. Ed Begley (vet of 10 Classic Noir) as Warren, David Sachs as the Sheriff, Bruce Pecheur as Charlie, Ivano Staccioli as Linda's Husband, and Sophie Hardy as Linda, and also starring Rita Hayworth (Gilda, Lady From Shanghai) as Mara Salerno.

This film is another Spaghetti Western-ish Film Soleil Noir, and a Road Movie. The engaging cinematography of the Euro Western locations used to depict Mexico contribute greatly to that ambience. Think of this Noir as a combo of The Postman Always Rings Twice, Detour, Chair de poule , Twilight Zone, Inferno, Zabriskie Point, From Here To Eternity, This World, Then The Fireworks with even a dash of an old farmers daughter joke.

If you are tuned into Visual Noir Style, this film will pull you right into its vortex easily. The volcanic plains of the Spanish Canary Islands off Africa (standing in for Mexico) looks at times like the middle ground between light and shadow," right out of the Twilight Zone. It's such a wonderfully woven Dark twisted story of very believable family in dysfunction that you just can't turn away. The cinematography, music, and acting are flawless. The film was originally shot in English. I watched what was available an English subtitled version, all the actors like in countless Spaghetti Westerns were dubbed into French in post. It is a French - Italian Euro Noir with American Actors from both hemispheres. Its a kinky Noir movie for adults that is done with a lot of artistry and class.

Bravo! 10/10
wmcclain

Post by wmcclain »

This week:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

LawrenceA wrote: April 7th, 2023, 12:54 pm Okay, I'm done.
Anyone else get a gut feeling from this posting that Lawrence has decided to quit this message board?
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Okay, I'm done.

Anyone else get a gut feeling from this posting that Lawrence has decided to quit this message board?

I have the same feeling for his movie reviews as he had problems with the same troll on the TCM boards.I have been reading each of his posts for many years,he has great,intelligent humour,makes judicious comments on films and he was making excellent comments in the off-topics board at TCM,I do not know him personally but he is the main reason I visit this board,i'am not a frequent contributor but I decided to reduce my limited participation.I hope he will ignore the troll as he recommended it to another member about the same person, Me too I thought all the trolls decided to go at 'the other one' but some are here now...
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

I thought it just meant he was done for THAT day (?)
:smiley_huh:

was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

nakanosunplaza wrote: April 8th, 2023, 10:10 pm Anyone else get a gut feeling from this posting that Lawrence has decided to quit this message board?
I have the same feeling for his movie reviews as he had problems with the same troll on the TCM boards.
I too thought he had meant he was "done for the day" after completely watching all those silent shorts.

Please elaborate on the "Troll from TCM boards". I didn't see any detrimental comment towards Lawrence except the "why not go outside?" comment. While that was just a little challenging, it doesn't fall into "bullying/harassment", does it?

If Lawrence was offended by the comment, he could have simply reported it.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

TikiSoo wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:27 amI too thought he had meant he was "done for the day" after completely watching all those silent shorts.
I thought the same. Hope we're right.
TikiSoo wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:27 amI didn't see any detrimental comment towards Lawrence except the "why not go outside?" comment. While that was just a little challenging, it doesn't fall into "bullying/harassment", does it?
Actually I thought it was an attempt at a humor about the amazing amount of time spent finding the shorts, creating a logical sequence plan to see them, then actually view each AND post his individual evaluations here. It has been a fun journey to share.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I thought it had it had the underpinnings of a compliment. Sepia was simply registering admiration for the astounding number of movies you have seen. Or if he isn't, I sure am. I take the winkie that was used as sincere.

Lawrence, I appeal to you. Don't leave us. In my view, it is preposterous that you should not be here. This series of capsule reviews you are doing is informative and entertaining. And other contributions as well of course.

See you soon.

I hope.

---laffite
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) Africa is at stake for the Empire and which depends the building of a bridge in a crucial location. The overlord in command in this project is Robert Beaumont (Tom Wilkinson) who lays the project open to his builder (Val Kilmer). Wilkinson has a minor role but is brilliant every second of it. The building of the bridge is initiated but the bridge element of the story suddenly fades and the story becomes about something totally else. The bridge strikes me a little like a MacGuffin. There seems to me a genre switch here. It starts as straight drama and then transforms itself into something akin to Horror. Michael Douglas is striking as a mountain-man type, wearing a cowboy hat and has a long beard and talks like a hyperventilating Crocodile Dundee. What a pleasant surprise to see this performance. When the movie was switching genres I began to lose interest. I had to struggle to finish. The was an sudden implementation of treacly music and sappiness. The action scenes regarding the second part of the film were overlong and especially tedious. The story snowballed into something not wonderful, especially following such a promising beginning.

//

/
Last edited by laffite on April 9th, 2023, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

LiamCasey wrote: April 8th, 2023, 8:56 pm
No. I don't get that feeling at all.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 9th, 2023, 12:24 pm
That's what he meant. Leaving the Board. I have not communicated with him but he has threatened this before.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

laffite wrote: April 9th, 2023, 1:22 pm

That's what he meant. Leaving the Board. I have not communicated with him but he has threatened this before.
Hence my gut feeling. I hope that I'm wrong because I've always enjoyed his postings. And a lack of any new posts from him in the last 48+ hours could simply be an indication that he is having a long and busy and enjoyable Easter weekend. But I'm not feeling too optimistic here.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LiamCasey wrote: April 9th, 2023, 1:48 pm
laffite wrote: April 9th, 2023, 1:22 pm

Hence my gut feeling. I hope that I'm wrong because I've always enjoyed his postings. And a lack of any new posts from him in the last 48+ hours could simply be an indication that he is having a long and busy and enjoyable Easter weekend. But I'm not feeling too optimistic here.
Oh sorry. I misread your post. I turned it upside down in my head and gave it the opposite meaning.

//
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

What was said, that could have offended him?

Perhaps he's just watching his favorite Easter movie, over and over.