Holiday Affair (1949)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Holiday Affair (1949)

Post by moira finnie »

ImageImageImage
I was quite charmed by the low key quality of this Christmas movie on TCM last night, which I'd never seen, called Holiday Affair (1949). I found that the little boy, Gordon Gebert*, gave a remarkably un-mawkish performance. It was so nice to see a Holiday movie that wasn't trying to knock your eye out with some ersatz idea of perfection, but did an exceedingly nice job of weaving a quiet spell through the good script by Isobel Lennart and genuine performances by one and all, particularly Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh and Wendell Corey. I liked the way that the director (Don Hartman) and the script allowed each character some time to develop and even those in small parts, such as Henry O'Neill as the department store boss, Griff Barnett and Esther Dale as Leigh's parents, and Harry Morgan as a cop, all had their moments.

It was fun to read in a TCM article about this movie that Mitchum, who was at his best in this movie playing against type, became genuine friends with relatively new actress, Janet Leigh. According to the article, "During a tense dinner scene, [Mitchum] and co-star Wendell Corey each slipped a hand onto her knee under the table. She started fidgeting in response, which turned out to be the perfect reaction for the scene." Naughty boys! She was very good in that particular scene, as she was in the scene when in the car with Corey, when they make a mutual, surprisingly mature decision together. Corey was exceptionally expressive in this movie, though the poor guy was always getting jilted in his career, wasn't he?--even his partner John Hodiak wanted to ditch him in Desert Fury (Corey's very good premiere performance on film)!

If you're interested in seeing Holiday Affair, it's on again on TCM at 1:45pm ET today.

ImageImageImage
* Say, here's a little article from the Des Moines Register about the boy who played Timmy. Believe it or not, it's a success story about a former child actor!
Last edited by moira finnie on December 29th, 2007, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have always liked this film. Leigh and Mitchum do a great job although my favorite scene is stolen by a squirrel. :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira:

One of my favorite Mitchum pictures, I can't for the life of me understand why audiences didn't accept him in this part. They wanted him to stay in the heavy film noir, or Captain/Lieutenant, or whatever in his tough army roles. They didn't like him to show this softer side, and after seeing this movie, years ago, I always wished he would do more like it. I liked seeing him being a nice guy, but I guess his 'bad boy' rep was harder to hold onto if he played fellows that kids liked.

A few years ago they re-made this as a Lifetime TV movie with the lead guy from J.A.G. but it lacked the charm of the original.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I did not know there was a thread devoted to this film!! GOOD!!!

These are my feelings after watching it:

WOW!!!! :D :D :D

I have just seen "Holiday Affair" (1949), a FANTASTIC film of that class "they don't make 'em anymore". I rated it 10/10 at imdb.com.

I was so amused, kept giggling in some parts, especially those scenes in which Timmy (Janet Leigh's son) appeared and in others I was moved by the honesty of it all. The three leads Janet Leigh, Bob Mitchum and Wendell Corey are superb. And so is all the cast. The boy who impersonates Leigh's son -Gordon Gebert- is one of the most charismatic kid actors I've ever seen. He's so incredibly natural and cute. I wonder why he did not became a bigger child star. Janet looks so beautiful with darker hair and she and Bob have some strong romantic chemistry going on there. Their scenes are very well played. Who said Bob Mitchum could not act and was not a versatile actor? He sure has got that "animal" quality about him, just like among female actresses Ava Gardner had it too. Esther Dale plays a sympathetic role for a change (Lately I had seen her only in nasty roles in "Private Worlds" and the "Ma & Pa Kettle" Series).