MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Andree

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 20th, 2023, 3:54 pm

Yes, I remember that episode (the woman) it was a rerun and I had seen it before. Yuck! They are so matter of fact about the crimes (pretty gruesome) they commit....
Yeah, it was pretty disgusting. She was having a high old time eating her snack, drinking her soda, and describing the
murder. The longer the interview went on, the more fun she was having.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Much is made of the feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, but they competed only once against each other for an Oscar in 1952.

Bette was nominated for The Star and Joan for Sudden Fear. Plus this was the first time the awards were broadcast on television. However, we didn't get the showdown everyone would be hoping for. Bette did not attend since she had an operation on her jaw and was bandaged and in pain. At this time the show broadcast part of the time from New York and part from Hollywood, Joan was there in Hollywood. Shirley Booth was the winner for Come Back Little Sheba. she was in NY and tripped when she went up the stairs to accept the award. The other nominees were Julie Harris for The Member Of The Wedding and Susan Hayward for With A Song In My Heart. Neither of them were there, Harris was in a play in Baltimore and Hayward was vacationing in Europe, she didn't think she would win and had already lost twice.
Joan Crawford had a good time, at the after party at Romanoff's, she danced the Charleston like she had done in Our Darling Daughters in 1928.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

No weigh-ins on Elliot Reid? I do realize he was mostly forgettable...

Re: Columbo -- which was Peter Falk's glass eye -- right or left?

:smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: Dargo, in addition to that wascally wabbit, I do adore Snoopy, although, unlike Bugs, cannot think of any Hollywood actor who looked like him.

MEAN STREETS was on last night, one of my favorite Scorcese films. I will reiterate what I've said before: I would love to see a trilogy of MEAN STREETS, I VITELLONI and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 3:08 pm No weigh-ins on Elliot Reid? I do realize he was mostly forgettable...
. . . which is a shame and, IMO, unfair.

I must admit my familiarity with Elliott Reid was based on a few of his movies (The Whip Hand and especially The Absent-Minded Professor and Son of Flubber). After brief investigation, I discovered that he was talented at mimicry; Reid's impression of President John F. Kennedy entirely delighted JFK. During his 1967 interview with Studs Terkel, Reid offered his, to me, fascinating and insightful opinion on doing impersonations (impressionists should have a point of view otherwise their mimicry "will be empty of content").

Based on the few seconds of the interview that I listened to (and I intend to listen to all of it), I was impressed by Reid. There was more to him than met the eye, methinks.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wow EP, thank you so much for that! I read the entire transcript and have to agree with you on Reid but it still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! (btw, I like what Elliot had to say about Orson Welles)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:10 pm Wow EP, thank you so much for that! I read the entire transcript and have to agree with you on Reid but it still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! (btw, I like what Elliot had to say about Orson Welles)
What is so baffling? E.G. Robinson was cast as a romantic lead.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:10 pm . . . still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! . . .
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 21st, 2023, 6:02 pm What is so baffling? E.G. Robinson was cast as a romantic lead.
All a matter of personal taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, Reid somewhat resembles Henry Fonda in this pic:

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Andree

Post by Andree »

I don't remember which of Falk's eyes was the glass one. I think it was the right. If one doesn't know, it's not easy
to tell. Either way it never hurt Columbo in going about his detective work.

Not being a believer in demonic possession, I've never found The Exorcist to be scary. A bit gross with all the
puke flying around yes, but not scary. The scariest thing to me was that procedure Regan had to go through where
they ejected that thing into her throat. Yuck. But one of the most surprising things is that they had one of the greatest
demon busters around and never used him--Lee J. Cobb. Just let Cobby go into one of his over the top rants and any
demon would get the heck out of there ASAP. Exorcised? You bet I'm exorcised. What a missed opportunity.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Andree wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 4:15 pm
Not being a believer in demonic possession, I've never found The Exorcist to be scary. A bit gross with all the
puke flying around yes, but not scary. The scariest thing to me was that procedure Regan had to go through where
they ejected that thing into her throat. Yuck.
I do find the film scary, but I agree that the procedure is hard to watch, that is the only scene that I have to look away.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Andree wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 4:15 pm Not being a believer in demonic possession, I've never found The Exorcist to be scary.
That's the way every movie is for me. If I can't believe what I'm watching, why would I ever be scared?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 3:08 pm
:smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: Dargo, in addition to that wascally wabbit, I do adore Snoopy, although, unlike Bugs, cannot think of any Hollywood actor who looked like him.
Offhand, I can't think of a human actor who reminds me of Snoopy either, Bronxie. However and in this regard, did you happen to catch the following little news item which was making the rounds on the internet the other day?...

https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/snoopys-r ... ed-bayley/

(...is that one cute dog or what?!)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Ya know, I don't know of any Hollywood actor or anyone at all who Looked like Bugs OR Snoopy.
But, my ex had an uncle who was the exact human replica of ELMER FUDD!
Right down to that funny hunting cap Elmer wore. :D

I'd ask her cousins(his sons) if Dad ever caught that "wascally wabbit" and they'd laugh because they too, though Dad looked like Elmer. ;)

Sepiatone
Andree

Post by Andree »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:07 am

I do find the film scary, but I agree that the procedure is hard to watch, that is the only scene that I have to look away.
Yes, the medical procedure is very graphic and detailed. That would frighten me if I had to undergo it. The scenes
about demonic possession are a bit spooky, but they're not something that scares me personally. I hadn't seen the movie
in a long while and it's still pretty well done, especially the gradual buildup to the possession. That works better than
just rushing right into it.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:48 am

That's the way every movie is for me. If I can't believe what I'm watching, why would I ever be scared?
I think that's true in most cases. One of the scriest movie I ever saw was In Cold Blood because you know
there are folks like them still out there. I find Alien to be scary, even though it's not something that is
likely to happen anytime soon.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I haven't seen all of Edward G. Robinson's films, so there likely are a few where he plays the romantic lead,
but that's certainly not his usual role. A guy with a bag over his head would be a better romantic lead.