WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY!

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: April 20th, 2023, 9:50 pm I think I’ve squirreled away a can of corned beef hash somewhere in the kitchen, but since “lights are out” I’ll never find it tonight. Think breakfast, that’s what I think now. There’s more light and less complaining about crumbs and dishes.
I'm glad that you didn't beef away a can of corned squirrel hash, because, as I'm sure you know, you can get CJD (similar to Kuru) from eating squirrel brains. It was a real problem in Kentucky many years ago, when people there made the original recipe for Burgoo.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

A Jamie Oliver simple dish of pasta with canned tuna that can be made in < 15 minutes:

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Put in red chili flakes and a few crushed garlic cloves. Don't let the garlic get brown and remove after a few minutes.

While the above is heating, take 12 oz of cherry or grape tomatoes and cut them in half. Turn up the heat and cook the tomatoes for 4 minutes. Push them down to slightly break them down (but not too much) and add a teaspoon of dried oregano. The juice of the tomatoes is the starting of the sauce.

Take two cans of tuna in olive oil. I use solid albacore (chuck tuna doesn't work well). I don't drain the tuna since that adds favor but for those that don't wish for too-much of a fishy favor, drain the tuna. Put the tuna into the pan, with another teaspoon of dried oregano and cook another 4 minutes.

While the above is going on cook 10 oz of pasta. Make sure the pasta water is well salted. Oliver recommends medium sized shell (which is what I do), but penne and other type of short pasta will work. Save some of the pasta water. Put just undercook pasta into the pan. Stir to create the final sauce and add pasta water if too dry. Finish with capers.

Note that I often start with a few anchovies before the chili flakes and garlic. Anchovies will melt where they just disappear into the olive oil, but they add a lot of favor.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Man, that sounds good, jjg, but I can’t do all that. Man, if I can get the can of tuna open it’s a miracle, and maybe add a hard boiled egg? Then I will have to rest for ten minutes and pat myself on the back several times. Then there is the stirring part and the mayonnaise addition. That’s a twenty minute rester there. That’s when you put the tuna salad in the fridge to chill.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Now, what you don’t want to do while your tuna salad is chilling in the fridge is use your new walk—in Kohler bath to take a bath. You gotta get in the thing before you fill it, and that takes forever. Then, finally, you are sick of the bath and the jets and the bubbles, so you unplug the plug. But the water doesn’t go down. You are trapped in the tub and you can’t call 911 or that other same day service and your fingers look like prunes and . . . well, you are in a pickle.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But since taking Balance of Nature vitamins the world is my oyster. I now can lean over the pool table and shoot my shot. I couldn’t do that before taking Balance of Nature vitamins. I’ve also noticed an increase in blood pressure. Before taking Balance of Nature vitamins I had weak and girly blood pressure. Now my blood pressure is good and high and manly to boot thanks to Balance of Nature. I wouldn’t venture outside without first taking my six huge capsules of Balance of Nature vitamins.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Last night was one of my nephew's birthday. Went there for dinner and family get together. He's on my wife's side of the family so there was plenty of some Mexican dishes. Picadillo, rice and beans, taco fixin's. And enough left over they sent me home with plenty for me to have a good dinner tonight.(and a few more nights).
Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to warm my tortillas by nuking them or heating them over a stove burner.

Sepiatone
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Sepiatone wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 4:08 pm Last night was one of my nephew's birthday. Went there for dinner and family get together. He's on my wife's side of the family so there was plenty of some Mexican dishes. Picadillo, rice and beans, taco fixin's. And enough left over they sent me home with plenty for me to have a good dinner tonight.(and a few more nights).
Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to warm my tortillas by nuking them or heating them over a stove burner.

Sepiatone

No, don’t nuke ‘em, Sepiatone. Got a nuke oven not long ago and it is NOT the way to go. It cooks things and reheats things inside out. Food does not like to be cooked inside out.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

How to reheat tortillas:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-re ... as-2342846
The Internet knows all.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Thompson wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 4:28 pm

No, don’t nuke ‘em, Sepiatone. Got a nuke oven not long ago and it is NOT the way to go. It cooks things and reheats things inside out. Food does not like to be cooked inside out.
I used to heat 'em up the way my wife showed me;
Turn a stove burner on to a low flame, place the tortilla on the burner's grate over the flame and flip it over a few times with your fingers(fast and carefully) until warmed to where you like. And be careful not to burn it. Or you. ;)

But the last several years have seen my fingers getting progressively sensitive to heat, So I might try flipping them with a pair of tongs, or like in the link Jimimac posted, heat up a frying pan and flop 'em around in that. The link also suggests nuking corn tortillas covered with a damp cloth. I might try a variant of that as how I reheat pancakes... Placed on a foam plate covered with a dampened paper towel. In the case of flour tortillas I might just nuke 'em for 10-15 seconds, not the minute I nuke the pancakes or French toast (I only make three slices of French toast for my breakfast, but make enough batter to make six or nine slices, and when I make the extras I put them in a ziplock (three slices each) and put 'em in the fridge.

Sepiatone
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

We have an electric smooth top stove. We also have a cloth tortilla warmer for the microwave.
Out here in progressive California, some are trying to eliminate the use of natural gas.
I spent a lot of my life with wood heat exclusively and a propane stove.
While I'm no expert, a cast iron skillet probably works best for your tortillas.
Hope your leftovers were good Sepiatone.
There are so many great chefs on PBS. You might like Patti's Mexican Table.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Boiled eggs, hard boiled, like the movie genre, like that fella Robert Mitchum, like that gal Jane Greer. First, put six eggs in cold water that covers the eggs in a saucepan. Turn the burner on high and keep an eye on the boiling water. When the water starts to rumble turn the burner to medium but still keep on eye on the water. Boil on medium for ten minutes. Take the saucepan off the burner and prepare a bowl of ice water large enough for the six eggs. Dump the hot water while running cold water on your new hard boiled eggs then put all six into the bowl of ice water. Wait ten minutes. Then pat dry the eggs with a pat dryer. The reason for the ice water is to facilitate the peeling process. Don’t be discouraged (be patient) when the peeling process seems too labored. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel, but ice water helps. Always keep a hard boiled egg in a loose pocket if you venture out.
Last edited by Thompson on April 24th, 2023, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

We use cold water and ice cubes.
Spot on Thompson.
Why put an egg in your pocket?
If you want to be left alone, let a Hershey bar melt in your back pocket.
A direct quote from the late, great Dr. Don Rose.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: April 24th, 2023, 3:50 pm Boiled eggs, hard boiled, like the movie genre, like that fella Robert Mitchum, like that gal Jane Greer. First, put six eggs in cold water that covers the eggs in a saucepan. Turn the burner on high and keep an eye on the boiling water. When the water starts to rumble turn the burner to medium but still keep on eye on the water. Boil on medium for ten minutes. Take the saucepan off the burner and prepare a bowl of ice water large enough for the six eggs. Dump the hot water while running cold water on your new hard boiled eggs then put all six into the bowl of ice water. Wait ten minutes. Then pat dry the eggs with a pat dryer. The reason for the ice water is to facilitate the peeling process. Don’t be discouraged (be patient) when the peeling process seems too labored. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel, but ice water helps. Always keep a hard boiled egg in a loose pocket when you venture out.
Etienne Girardot played Dr. Doremus, the coroner, in several Philo Vance movies, always exasperated because he's called away from a meal to examine a corpse. In The Dragon Murder Case (1934), Sergeant Heath, played by Eugene Pallette, tells the exasperated Doremus: "Why don't you carry a hard boiled egg in your pocket?"

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Columbo was always peeling and eating a hard boiled egg that he carried around in the pocket of his famous raincoat. He also preferred chili over caviar. I’m not sure if he favored chili with or without beans. Speaking for myself, I always opt for chili with beans. Fiber, you see, and the magical fruit. The more you eat the more you . . .
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans with onions, and gravy. The mashers are better with the skins on. Gravy is tricky, too thick too thin too lumpy too this and too that. That’s why potatoes are mashed so’s they can make that “too” gravy boat. Bread and butter. Always bread and butter.