Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

7 Hours until the polls close.

Don't be left out in the cold!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

Considering the final match-up, does that mean we can soon divide everybody here into two groups: those who prefer TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and those who prefer THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Dan,
I suppose so. But like most of us, these films were not our individual choices of the top two films but a result of the process of elimination and majority rules. If we started the entire process again with the exact same films, I'd bet that the results would be different, which is what makes it so interesting for me.

Anyway, the Championship Round is open. Everyone please cast your votes so we can crown our champion by 1/4/2008.

Thanks to all for participating and have a fantastic (and safe) New Year!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

For all future competitions I will be using a new word to describe the best and or favorite selection. I will simply call it Bestavorite. Silly, but that way you can all make up your own defintiions to suit your interpretations of best and or favorite. We all seem to have very differing views on this (which is fine).

I have really enjoyed this competition and I hope all of you will vote in the Championship Match-up thread of To Kill a Mockingbird vs. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. At the moment it's not much competition as Mockingbird is taking poor Liberty to the shed with a switch in hand. I'm a little disappointed that the finale seems to be so one-sided, I was hoping for a tight, exciting race to go down to the wire, but you can never accurately predict competitions. Both of these fine films are deserving of your attentions at the polls. Happy New Year!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Today is the final day of our Movie Competition that has stretched back a couple of months. If you haven't voted yet you have until 11:59pm (Pacific) tonight to do so.

Barring some incredibly unforseen landslide of votes it appears that To Kill a Mockingbird will be named as Silver Screen Oasis's top film for the year of 2007. Thanks to all who participated. I think we generated enough interest to do it again later this year to crown a new champ for 2008. In the meantime, I will start a Bestavorite Western movie thread in a couple of weeks. I would like to get some input from our community on two things: 1) Is 16 films enough when starting the genre match-ups or do we need to start with 32 to get enough variety in there? (I think 64 is out of the question as we've seen how long it takes to wade through 64 films) and 2) I would like your feedback as to which genres you want to have competitions in. Westerns will be a definite, but after that it is up to you as to which genres you're most interested in. I would hope that we'll be able to do some of the less popular genres like silent comedies, foreign films broken down into categories, etc... But those decisions are in your hands, please let me know what you'd enjoy participating in.
Last edited by cinemalover on January 4th, 2008, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I will definitely participate in a Western round-up, and if there are other categories like films noir, drama / romance or comedy. I'm not sure I could name 25 silents, but I would try.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Chris, I think the more initial choices the better (within reason), simply because the Western is to a degree so formulaic, and there are bound to be candidates who are much too similar to each other.

I'd also like to see a broad array of candidates because personally the Western isn't my favorite genre, although there are individual films I think are pretty nifty. Those of you who are very knowledgeable about the genre can probably name movies I know of but might not have considered.

Let the games begin!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

MissGoddess,
If we just do the top 32 films in each genre then I'll probably only ask for everybody's top 15, so that will make it a little easier on you in some categories (and harder in your preferred categories). It will be interesting to see if The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance will dominate a western-filled contest since they did so well in the overall contest.
Last edited by cinemalover on January 4th, 2008, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Judith,
What would be your favorite genre for us to do?
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

cinemalover wrote:MissGoddess,
If we just do the top 32 films in each genre then I'll probaly only ask for everybody's top 15, so that will make it a little easier on you in some categories (and harder in your preferred categories). It will be interesting to see if The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance will dominate a western-filled contest since they did so well in the overall contest.
15 I can handle in any genre.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I'd be up for doing more of these. I don't know if I can name 15 movies for each genre but i'll try my best.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Ladies and gentlemen, your official champion for 2007 is:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Once again, thanks for your votes, your voices have been heard and the winner has been crowned! Stick around for our genre championships, coming soon to a thread near you!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

You're welcome, John. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You can start thinking about your favorite westerns now, because that will be our next challenge.
Chris

Moraldo Rubini

Pollcat

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

cinemalover wrote:...You can start thinking about your favorite westerns now, because that will be our next challenge.
Where will we find this next poll? In the Western Forum? This is my least familiar genre (other than Bollywood Jai Alai films, of course), so I've already begun trying to figure what to put down. Oh! And how many Westerns will we list in the first go-'round?