2023 TCM Film Festival

txfilmfan

Re: 2023 TCM Film Festival

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: April 26th, 2023, 10:02 pm The first time I saw Bye Bye Birdie (the movie) as a kid, I was disappointed. It was at Radio City Music Hall, and when Ann Margret opened the film with that song, I thought, "What the hell is that?" I had grown up with the original Broadway cast album, which I loved, and there ain't no such song in the show. The movie also cut one of my favorite songa: "Normal American Boy," which was really disappointing ("An English Teacher" was also cut). Chita Rivera's memoir has recently been released, it will be interesting to see what she says about Birdie.

As the years went by, I got to like the film.
I have a copy of the score for piano. It has all the dialogue cues and music cues. When I was in Junior High, my future HS did Bye Bye Birdie for their spring musical. They did two a year back then, before it got too expensive to stage two a year. The cast was always largely students from the choral department, and they always bought a full piano score for their musicals, whereas the pit orchestra scores were always rented - what a pain erasing your marked-up part when they had to go back. When I was a senior in HS, the choral department head was tossing a bunch of stuff, and this score was one of them. I asked if I could have it and she said yes. I've kept it for 40 years.