Quentin Tarantino does a Very Good Thing

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

Quentin Tarantino does a Very Good Thing

Post by Lzcutter »

Here in Los Angeles, we have a small revival theater, the New Beverly Cinema, located on Beverly (not sure if it's a street or an Avenue even after 30+ years here). Its' small, the seats have never been all that comfortable and the sound system has waned in years. But the family that runs the theater has been bringing double bills of classic films to Los Angeles audiences for over forty years.

Tarantino, himself, talks in various interviews about driving up from the South Bay to watch old movies at the New Beverly.

A few years ago, Sherman, the father contacted Tarantino because the DVD market was eating away at the Beverly's revenue. Tarantino began paying $5,000 a month to help the 200 seat theater stay afloat.

Then, in 2007, Sherman Torgan passed away unexpectedly. His son stepped in and took over the daily running of the theater. Within a week, the owner of the building was looking for a new tenant in an effort to force the family run business out. Luckily, the son found a copy of the original lease that gave them first right of refusal.

The Torgan's began weighing their options. Super Cuts really wanted the space. The Torgans really wanted to keep the New Beverly alive.

Mrs. Torgan contacted Tarantino personally about the matter. Tarantino refused to let the New Beverly become a Super Cuts. He bought the space that the Beverly occupied outright.

"I always considered the New Beverly my charity -- an investment I never wanted back," he said. "I already had a good relationship with the family and the theater, so it was a natural step."

It wasn't a smooth and easy transaction but a non-disclosure agreement keeps both sides from talking.

Tarantino is the landlord and the Torgans are running the New Beverly without worrying about Super Cuts.

Since taking over the property, Tarantino has made it possible for the New Beverly to undergo some badly needed renovations such as new light fixtures and seats and a digital projection system. But he doesn't want the place to change too much. The 35mm projector is still the preferred screening method, popcorn and sodas remain cheap -- and the Torgans are still in charge, with an Oscar-winning angel over their shoulder.

"As long as I'm alive, and as long as I'm rich, the New Beverly will be there, showing double features in 35mm," Tarantino said.

With help from the Hollywood Reporter.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Birdy

Re: Quentin Tarantino does a Very Good Thing

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for posting this story, Lynne,
I had also read this on Yahoo and am glad attention was brought here at SSO.
I wish I could visit there with you!
Birdy
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for reviving that old article. I'm not surprised by the story, Tarantino is an emotionally driven guy.
I just finished reading his book which I loved, I just can't watch his movies because of the violence.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm Thanks for reviving that old article. I'm not surprised by the story, Tarantino is an emotionally driven guy.
I just finished reading his book which I loved, I just can't watch his movies because of the violence.
Ya know Tiki, I'm thinkin' you could perhaps sit through Quentin's 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'. My wife Judie, who's probably just as adverse to violent movies as you are and who also had never before watched any of his films because of this, was able to sit though it and enjoyed this one anyway.

(...just a suggestion here)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 7:31 pm Ya know Tiki, I'm thinkin' you could perhaps sit through Quentin's 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'
I watched that movie last year and sorry to say I was underwhelmed.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies from Tarantino's list I like:

1. The Thing
2. Top Gun Maverick
3. Rio Bravo
4. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
5. Dunkirk
6. The Bad News Bears
7. The Great Escape
8. His Girl Friday
9. Jaws
10. Mad Max: Fury Road
11. The Matrix
12. There Will Be Blood

G.C.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith