The Hit- two theories

LostHorizons

The Hit- two theories

Post by LostHorizons »

There are two theories as to why Terrence Stamps changed his stoic tune so easily when confronted with his execution. Either

1. He wasn’t happy that his execution was done the “wrong way” as he hadn’t met the hitmen’s boss before dying

Or what is more likely

2. He thought when he met the boss he would be able to talk himself out of the hit or else he would get leverage in some way and go free

This ending was interesting because Braddock was the one who died more tranquilly despite being of the two, the one more worried with death throughout the film. For all his bluster, Terrence Stamps character died like a weakling. That is interesting that the tables turned at the last second so they each took on each other’s persona showing that they are parallel versions of the same personality I guess. All people embody both sides of the aisle in regards to death.
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: The Hit- two theories

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I go with theory #2.

I saw this when first released and I loved it. John Hurt and Terence Stamp were both great as hit man and stoolie.
This was the first time I saw Tim Roth as Hurt's youthful assistant. Laura Del Sol was also impressive as the feisty Spanish girl who will do anything to survive.
LostHorizons

Re: The Hit- two theories

Post by LostHorizons »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: May 16th, 2023, 7:57 am I go with theory #2.

I saw this when first released and I loved it. John Hurt and Terence Stamp were both great as hit man and stoolie.
This was the first time I saw Tim Roth as Hurt's youthful assistant. Laura Del Sol was also impressive as the feisty Spanish girl who will do anything to survive.
I agree. Making his cowardice even worse was his ability to bring others down with him while being smug about it. Like when he told Braddock to go back and kill that Australian guy. I like how at first the character seems stoic but it slowly disintegrates by the end of the film.