July 2023 Schedule Posted, 1970s film stars featured

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: July 2023 Schedule Posted, 1970s film stars featured

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 2:25 pm
Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 11:23 am
CinemaInternational wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm The 70s SOTM theme is only WB library titles, most of which were already seen in April. They could have done much better.
Par for the course, though! :D
I'm curious if anyone is using "Max," the new name for HBO Max?
I don't use any streaming TV. My Xfinity is already too expensive.
Max is $15.99 without ads. TCM is $9.99 in a separate package on my Xfinity.
I agree with you Hibi, programming on TCM is blah.
I know I've been with TCM 15 years but not 20.
I'm sure it's a little different for others just getting started.
For someone new to classic films, it's great resource, but for viewers like myself (old timers). There isnt much new or interesting being aired.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

norfious wrote: May 24th, 2023, 3:15 pm
jimimac71 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 2:25 pm I'm curious if anyone is using "Max," the new name for HBO Max?
I have HBOMax, as it used to come free with my cable package. My cable package has since changed, so I am buying the service now only because someone in my family enjoys watching it.

While I don't watch very often, I notice a lot of the titles on the TCM Hub of HBO Max seem to be titles that were recently on TCM, or movies from the 1990s. Still, but they do have some unique finds. In particular, I watched an interesting Japanese silent film there called "Dragnet Girl" a while back that I don't think was ever on TCM.
I get it from my phone plan. It was included, back when AT&T owned WB. Even though they sold it to Discovery etc., they still include it, surprisingly. I'm sure once their internal agreements lapse, I will lose it. I haven't logged in since it changed to max yesterday.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 2:25 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:05 pm The 70s SOTM theme is only WB library titles, most of which were already seen in April. They could have done much better.
I'm curious if anyone is using "Max," the new name for HBO Max?
I have Max too but that's because it comes free with my phone. I watch it on occasion; but only when it so happens that they're streaming something I want to watch. I don't make a point to watch Max. HBO does do some interesting documentaries. A documentary about Mary Tyler Moore is premiering on Friday I think.

I have a few different streaming services, but they're not all for me. We have a Hulu/Disney+ bundle. Disney+ has all 34 seasons of "The Simpsons" which is usually what I watch. At the TCMFF my husband and I attended a panel hosted by Brian Henson, son of Jim Henson. Brian and his team did a puppetry demonstration and explained how their puppet technology has evolved since his father started puppeteering in the 1950s. Because of this, my husband was inspired to read Jim Henson's biography, which he's already finished. Now he wants to watch all The Muppets shows and movies. Because Disney owns Jim Henson's company, all the Muppet stuff is available on Disney+. Hulu shows a lot of television shows that I like (The Golden Girls, Mary Tyler Moore, Cheers, Frasier, King of the Hill...) so it's good for background noise or when you just want something easy to watch. We have Amazon Prime through our Prime membership. I subscribe to the Criterion Channel, because they show a lot of Classic Hollywood movies. We have a Netflix subscription too, though I'm not sure how long I'll keep it. I only watch The Great British Baking Show on it. My sister rents a room in our house, so I think she uses Netflix. My husband subscribes to Crunchyroll to watch anime.

I have an app on my phone that I have connected to the streaming services to which I have access. I can perform searches for specific television shows, movies, or an actor or crew member. The app will then tell me what is available on which service. E.g., if I searched for "Alan Ladd," the app says I can watch a documentary on George Stevens on Max; The Reluctant Dragon on Disney+; Proud Rebel on Amazon Prime; Goldwyn Follies on Kanopy (free library streaming service); and The Green Hornet on Amazon Prime. I love this app, it saves me a lot of time.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I realize my post should have been in a different thread, but I'm trying to sneak in the idea of people getting tired of programming on TCM and looking for a replacement or just a little break.
Excellent post speedracer5.
I used to own The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper on RCA Video Disc.
I get frustrated with a company like Disney owning so many properties and getting into a regular habit of increasing costs. That said, Disney+ would be a better option for me and Ma versus Max. I don't see a reason to have Hulu or ESPN+.
My Xfinity cable box has a growing number of apps available. My TV has just two HDMI ports and they are both in use. Granted, I'm not using the Blu-ray player frequently and it is not a smart device. I like simplicity and Mom doesn't like more confusion.
I have found at least one streaming related thread that could be started up again.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

We just got a new TV. It's pretty sweet because we're able to put all our streaming services on it. On our old TV, we had the streaming services on it, except I couldn't access Criterion Channel, because the app wasn't compatible with our TV. I used a Google Chrome Cast to cast the app from my phone to the TV. I could also access it via my husband's XBOX. However, with the new TV, Criterion Channel works, so I'm excited about that. It also seems to load everything much quicker.

We have 4 HDMI ports on the TV (I think), but we also have an HDMI switch box with 4 more ports, because my husband owns every video game system under the sun. The switchbox lets him alternate between which system he wants to use, without having to un-hook and re-hook everything up constantly. I have a blu ray player that I think has apps on it as well, but I don't need to access the apps through it when I have the TV. I also have a 4k player in the form of my husband's PS5.

I watch TCM when they're showing something I'm interested in. While I like the channel, I was never one to just have it on all the time regardless of what they were showing. I will put TCM in as background noise occasionally, but I like to put shows on--something I've seen a million times, so I always know what's happening when I catch bits and pieces of the programming. I am not lacking in options for things to watch, so I don't need TCM to cater to my specific programming tastes. If they're showing something I like, great. If not, I have hundreds of other options. That's why I don't really care so much what's on the schedule month to month. I watch/record what's interesting to me, then fill in the gaps with my DVR recordings (it has a 2TB drive, so I have 500+ movies on there), my physical media collection, streaming, or whatever. I even get movies from the library if it's something I don't own and can't find on streaming.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:50 am I realize my post should have been in a different thread, but I'm trying to sneak in the idea of people getting tired of programming on TCM and looking for a replacement or just a little break.
Excellent post speedracer5.
I used to own The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper on RCA Video Disc.
I get frustrated with a company like Disney owning so many properties and getting into a regular habit of increasing costs. That said, Disney+ would be a better option for me and Ma versus Max. I don't see a reason to have Hulu or ESPN+.
My Xfinity cable box has a growing number of apps available. My TV has just two HDMI ports and they are both in use. Granted, I'm not using the Blu-ray player frequently and it is not a smart device. I like simplicity and Mom doesn't like more confusion.
I have found at least one streaming related thread that could be started up again.
I used to have The Muppet Movie on VHS. I actually just saw The Great Muppet Caper for the first time a couple years ago when it was in the theater for its 40th birthday. I also have The Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD. I consider that the definitive version of A Christmas Carol, and the only version of that tired story that I'm willing to watch at Christmastime. I used to watch the Muppet Babies cartoon in elementary school. I've only seen bits and pieces of the 70s show, because It is never shown in syndication and it was on before I was born. I'm happy that we have the chance to watch it on Disney+. Though I do agree with you re: companies owning so many different companies. It doesn't really give you any options when it comes to which companies you want to do business with, when in reality you have no choice because it's the same parent company owning everything.

I have Hulu and added Disney+ to it. I don't have ESPN+. I don't care about sports enough to watch people talk about sports. I will watch the games; but I don't care about the analysis.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I plan on creating a thread for all things streaming.
There's nothing simple about it anymore.
You might even hear me complain that satellite TV does not carry MeTV, and I love my MeTV.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

True, it is. I see they scheduled it for Fridays, so Ben will be doing the wrap-arounds. Makes sense since its clear from his intros that he loves the 70s more than any other era of film history.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

So Ben may not be a good fit for TCM if his favorite movies are from the 70s.
I don't watch much TCM except for the weekends, and even then, during the day.
Ben's first movie is prime-time, during the week, at 5 PM my time.
Mamma watches a lot of news and 5 PM is news time.
I am guessing Ben announces the movie that would likely start at 7 PM my time.
It looks like the 70s stuff on Friday rolls over into Saturday. Have no idea how many movies Ben announces.
I disagreed with the likes of TopBilled, who considered there were little or now boundaries for what could be called a classic film.
What I like about TCM is how it is nearly wholesome programming.
The movies that don't fit the G/PG mode should be moved over to Max.
I'm just one person and a minority at that. My opinion is probably of little importance, but I have spoken.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:20 pm I plan on creating a thread for all things streaming.
There's nothing simple about it anymore.
You might even hear me complain that satellite TV does not carry MeTV, and I love my MeTV.
I used to have MeTV too, but it was taken off. I think with Me-TV specifically, it was available on Dish as part of an agreement with a local television affiliate. In Portland, that station was KATU. Last year, the company that owns KATU and other local stations, ended their agreement with Me-TV. The only way to watch it now is with an over-the-air antenna or something like that. I'm not going to put that much effort in to watch heavily edited (and I swear sped up) shows with commercials, so I just don't have ME-TV now. I loved Nick at Nite as a kid and was sad when it devolved into what it is now. I use my unedited DVDs and Hulu to watch the classic shows I enjoyed.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:53 pm So Ben may not be a good fit for TCM if his favorite movies are from the 70s.
I don't watch much TCM except for the weekends, and even then, during the day.
Ben's first movie is prime-time, during the week, at 5 PM my time.
Mamma watches a lot of news and 5 PM is news time.
I am guessing Ben announces the movie that would likely start at 7 PM my time.
It looks like the 70s stuff on Friday rolls over into Saturday. Have no idea how many movies Ben announces.
I disagreed with the likes of TopBilled, who considered there were little or now boundaries for what could be called a classic film.
What I like about TCM is how it is nearly wholesome programming.
The movies that don't fit the G/PG mode should be moved over to Max.
I'm just one person and a minority at that. My opinion is probably of little importance, but I have spoken.
I think Ben Mankiewicz has gone on record as stating that "Casablanca" is his favorite film. He was born in the 60s, so I could see him having an affinity for films of the 70s since those are the films he grew up with. I think people can like movies from the 30s and 40s and like movies from the 70s and 80s. I don't think it has to be either/or. I've seen some of the other hosts, like Eddie Muller, pulled in to introduce films during timeslots other than their usual, so it doesn't have to be Ben on Friday. Eddie Muller just introduced Ann-Margret's guest programming segment on Tuesday. Regardless of who is doing the introductions, I think Primetime is roughly the first 3-4 movies scheduled during the evening starting at 5pm PST. I miss the Late Night music and intro that used to show for the late night films. When watching old DVR recordings, I am always excited when one pops up that has the Late Night intro.

I don't care about the content of the films. I just want to watch movies with stories that interest me. I wouldn't want some arbitrary rating to dictate what is shown. I think the Hayes Code did enough to "protect" the sensibilities of the audience, often at the expense of the film's plot. Not that I think f-bombs or full frontal nudity need to be thrown in for a film to be enjoyable, but so often was the case, the happy ending would completely undermine the entire plot that preceded it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I have started an All Things Streaming thread.
It probably isn't proper to talk about streaming here.
I do enjoy all your posts SR5. Wasn't that a Toyota?
You are flawlessly detail oriented and always good reading.
Maybe you could write Ben's stuff.
I know there is something called Pre-Code but know nothing about it.
Casablanca is not Noir. Eddie says so. Don't know what makes a movie Noir or not.
I am fond of Mildred Pierce.
My favorite is Victor/Victoria and I know what yours is.
I think it plays on July 1st. Ma and Pa Kettle play in July as well.
You can't help but enjoy Marjorie Main.
She should be a part of Summer Under The Stars with all 10 Ma and Pa Kettle films, and of course, a really long trailer.
Like Thelma Ritter. Gotta love Thelma Ritter.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

jimimac71 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 4:53 pm I have started an All Things Streaming thread.
It probably isn't proper to talk about streaming here.
I do enjoy all your posts SR5. Wasn't that a Toyota?
You are flawlessly detail oriented and always good reading.
Maybe you could write Ben's stuff.
I know there is something called Pre-Code but know nothing about it.
Casablanca is not Noir. Eddie says so. Don't know what makes a movie Noir or not.
I am fond of Mildred Pierce.
My favorite is Victor/Victoria and I know what yours is.
I think it plays on July 1st. Ma and Pa Kettle play in July as well.
You can't help but enjoy Marjorie Main.
She should be a part of Summer Under The Stars with all 10 Ma and Pa Kettle films, and of course, a really long trailer.
Like Thelma Ritter. Gotta love Thelma Ritter.
"Speedracer" is a cartoon character. I do drive a Toyota, alas it is not a Toyota Speedracer, but rather a Corolla.

Thank you re: my writing.

Pre-Code refers to the films that were produced after the silent era, but before the Hayes Production Code began to be strictly enforced. This era spans roughly 1929-mid 1934. The Hayes Production Code began to be strictly enforced July 1, 1934. Any films that were released prior to that date are "pre-code." Everything after that are Production Code. 1934 is an interesting year. Some 1934 films, like "It Happened One Night" and "The Thin Man" are pre-code; but films like "The Girl From Missouri" and "Evelyn Prentice" are production code.

I would agree that "Casablanca" is not film noir. Film noir seems to have a bit of a loose definition, but they're usually the stylish crime films featuring a cynical anti-hero, perhaps a femme or homme fatale, shadows, and has an overall feeling of pessimism. I don't think that's the best definition and it's hard to articulate what makes something noir or not noir. I love film noir and have seen a lot of them. I also enjoy "Mildred Pierce." It's one of my favorite film noir and favorite films in general. I love Veda. She's my favorite character. Not because I think she's good; but I love her because she's relentless in being such an awful person. Nothing is too low for Veda.

I do love The Long Long Trailer. I just watched it on TCM a week or two ago. I don't necessarily have to watch it every time it's on TCM, but I'll watch it if I can. I've seen this movie at least a hundred times, no exaggeration. I wore out 2 VHS and was on my second DVD before I got the blu ray. Marjorie Main is hilarious in that movie. I love Ma and Pa Kettle. And I agree that she would be a great SUTS candidate. She's also great in dramatic roles, like her heartbreaking performance as Bogart's mother in "Dead End."

I also love Thelma Ritter. I just watched her last night in "Rear WIndow." "Must've splattered a lot."
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I love Thelma Ritter in Pillow Talk.
Decades ago, we watched Rear Window on The Movie Channel.
I'm talking the 1980s and our house did not have air conditioning.
It was summer and very hot.
Our cable company was 12 channels plus The Movie Channel.
It could have been Showtime but it was discovered that TMC was all movies, all the time.
I am bragging when I say my mother, the manager of our cable system, and later a district manager, discovered TMC.