MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Years ago back in the 70s there was a period where public figures were getting pied! Didn't last long but it was fun seeing it if you disliked the person! (Like some politician. Our governor at the time got pied! :D)

I think they should bring it back. Plenty of current figures I'd love to see pied!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 11:47 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 12:52 pm I think Joan Crawford's performance as Crystal Allen in THE WOMEN is about the best thing in that movie. Steals the show imo from shrieky Roz and oh-so-noble Norma. Love Joan's little bouncy body movements after her sexual manipulations over the phone with Shearer's husband.

Did anyone else notice how, in THE GAZEBO, Herman the pigeon was cooing and doing all sorts of unmistakable mating noises on the shoulder of Glenn Ford when Ford embraces wife Debbie Reynolds? Was Herman jealous? Not that there is anything wrong with this....

Norma is so insufferable in that film. Nauseating. GAG. One keeps rooting for Crystal!

You got that right! Pow! Right in the kisser! LOL

I also hate when Norma does those cartwheels in the Bermuda home movie. I've seen her do those in at least another film (can't remember which one though) -- acts like she's some sort of glamorous athlete or something, I can't figure out the motivation....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:12 pm That ending with Norma and her arms outstretched: I keep hoping someone (Joan?) pies her!!!! :D

That would have been the perfect ending.

I always picture Leslie Howard as Stephen -- blonde, spineless, gentlemanly, just the kind who would fall for a shopgirl's machinations and then feel he had to marry her. A complete idiot. Why Mary Haines would want him back frankly baffles me.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Hibi wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:46 pm Years ago back in the 70s there was a period where public figures were getting pied! Didn't last long but it was fun seeing it if you disliked the person! (Like some politician. Our governor at the time got pied! :D)

I think they should bring it back. Plenty of current figures I'd love to see pied!
I have heard that people would hire others to throw a cake into a person's face.

I feel that is wrong. You should do it yourself to show the courage of your confections.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:45 pm
Hibi wrote: May 24th, 2023, 4:12 pm That ending with Norma and her arms outstretched: I keep hoping someone (Joan?) pies her!!!! :D
I'm surprised there wasn't one more jungle red cat fight in the ladies lounge. Crystal accepted defeat rather easily, considering how hard she worked to get there.

I don't understand why Crystal risks it all to fool around with Boland's radio star cowboy, even telling him over the phone that she'd come too far to lose everything as a society wife. But then I guess in the end Allen thought that if she was smart enough to hook Stephen she could continue to pull the wool over his eyes and have the best of both worlds if you know what I mean.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thank you for saying that-I thought I was the only person who wasn't impressed with Shearer & that closing scene's gesture in particular.
Good call on the Leslie Howard as Steven Haines.

My fave in The Women is Paulette Goddard & I often quote her line, "Countess your cowboy is STINKO" whenever me or someone else is too drunk. I love her little satin tap shorts she wears at the ranch. Oh and the catfight!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

The Thin Blue Line is a good film. There is also a swell, well run strip club on the other side of the river with the same name, The Thin Blue Line. No fat dancers allowed.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Thompson wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:29 pm No fat dancers allowed.
Thank everything that's good in our lives.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Deleted my rant.
It's a prejudice, but one I'm guilty of.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

;)

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:51 pm

That would have been the perfect ending.

I always picture Leslie Howard as Stephen -- blonde, spineless, gentlemanly, just the kind who would fall for a shopgirl's machinations and then feel he had to marry her. A complete idiot. Why Mary Haines would want him back frankly baffles me.
To answer your question about why Haines would want him back; Idiots love the company of fellow idiots.

As for your point about Leslie Howard: he plays a character like the one in Animal Kingdom more often than he plays the type of character you describe. In fact, in which film does he even play that type of character? In Human Bondage and A Free Soul he plays weak men, but in Bondage he doesn't feel the need to marry the Bette Davis character, and in A Free Soul (also with Norma Shearer), he kills the other man.

I do wonder if The Women had been done in the pre-code era if it would have more of a feminist POV.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on May 31st, 2023, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Masha wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:56 pm
Hibi wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:46 pm Years ago back in the 70s there was a period where public figures were getting pied! Didn't last long but it was fun seeing it if you disliked the person! (Like some politician. Our governor at the time got pied! :D)

I have heard that people would hire others to throw a cake into a person's face.

I feel that is wrong. You should do it yourself to show the courage of your confections.
AGREE! :D LOL.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

The BIG BOY restaurants in Michigan used to do TV ads in an effort to promote their pies by using THIS familiar figure to hawk for them. ;)

Sadly, no clips of any of those ads could be found.

Sepiatone
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

The pie king himself!!!