Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

Fedya

Re: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

Post by Fedya »

I thought he killed the dog because the dog was digging under those flowers and was going to find something (I want to say the knife) that was buried there.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Sepiatone wrote: June 19th, 2023, 11:55 am ...
My only disappointment in the movie is never learning why Thorwald killed Mr. Drucker's dog. And had there at one time been something significant buried under that flower that got shorter?
Sepiatone
The dog was killed because it was sniffing around Throrwald's "pet flower bed" where Mrs. Thorwald's HEAD was buried (we learn quite snappily all that including the head is in a hatbox in Thorwald's apartment... wanna look...?)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Dargo wrote: June 19th, 2023, 11:03 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: June 18th, 2023, 10:13 pm
Dargo wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:40 pm

As I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here Bagel, could you elaborate upon this here? Sounds like an intriguing thought.

Would you be suggesting the idea that Raymond Burr's character hadn't actually murdered his wife in it, or something other than this?
The first time I saw Rear Window I had a suspicion that Lisa (Grace Kelly) and Detective Tom Doyle were colluding to make to make Jeff (James Stewart) think he was losing his mind and, yes, that Thorwald (Raymond Burr) was involved in their plot and had not actually murdered his wife. So Lisa was in no real danger when she goes into Thorwald's apartment. This would have been a twist on the plot of Hitchcock's previous release Dial M For Murder where Ray Milland's character had set up his adulterous wife (played by Grace Kelly) to take the fall for murdering the man that Ray Milland's character had hired to kill her.

But in Rear Window it turned out to be a "it was what it was" situation. James Stewart's character had seen the aftermath of a murder committed by Raymond Burr's character.
Interesting concept here, Bagel. I must admit this idea had never crossed my mind during the times I've watched this film.

However, somethin's telling me here it just might've also crossed Brian De Palma's mind the first time he ever watched 'Rear Window', anyway. ;) De Palma of course being well known for taking Hitchcock movies and putting his own little spin on them.

(...in fact, your spin on this sounding a bit to me like the plot in De Palma's film 'Body Double', and which in turn is really somewhat a convoluted concoction of both Hitchcock's 'Rear Window' and 'Vertigo')
I've never seen Body Double, Dargo.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing to know that my mind possibly went where Brian De Palma's did when watching Rear Window.
I have only seen a few of De Palma's movies, although I do like all the ones I have seen, to wit:
Sisters
Carrie
Dressed To Kill

PS. It's always nice when an occasion arises when I can use the expression "to wit" . . .
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Body Double was a riot to watch back when it first came out.

I'm not sure it would have the same kick on initial viewing now as it did then - so much has been seen since. But I loved it back then and recommended it to several people.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: June 19th, 2023, 8:31 pm
Dargo wrote: June 19th, 2023, 11:03 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: June 18th, 2023, 10:13 pm

The first time I saw Rear Window I had a suspicion that Lisa (Grace Kelly) and Detective Tom Doyle were colluding to make to make Jeff (James Stewart) think he was losing his mind and, yes, that Thorwald (Raymond Burr) was involved in their plot and had not actually murdered his wife. So Lisa was in no real danger when she goes into Thorwald's apartment. This would have been a twist on the plot of Hitchcock's previous release Dial M For Murder where Ray Milland's character had set up his adulterous wife (played by Grace Kelly) to take the fall for murdering the man that Ray Milland's character had hired to kill her.

But in Rear Window it turned out to be a "it was what it was" situation. James Stewart's character had seen the aftermath of a murder committed by Raymond Burr's character.
Interesting concept here, Bagel. I must admit this idea had never crossed my mind during the times I've watched this film.

However, somethin's telling me here it just might've also crossed Brian De Palma's mind the first time he ever watched 'Rear Window', anyway. ;) De Palma of course being well known for taking Hitchcock movies and putting his own little spin on them.

(...in fact, your spin on this sounding a bit to me like the plot in De Palma's film 'Body Double', and which in turn is really somewhat a convoluted concoction of both Hitchcock's 'Rear Window' and 'Vertigo')
I've never seen Body Double, Dargo.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing to know that my mind possibly went where Brian De Palma's did when watching Rear Window.
I have only seen a few of De Palma's movies, although I do like all the ones I have seen, to wit:
Sisters
Carrie
Dressed To Kill

PS. It's always nice when an occasion arises when I can use the expression "to wit" . . .
Brian De Palma's SISTERS is a favorite of mine. I've seen it many times.
It's one of the movies that Quentin Tarantino discusses in his book CINEMA SPECULATION (which I highly recommend).
Tarantino says that SISTERS is only half a movie, and he criticizes Jennifer Salt's performance for missing the humor.
I disagree with him on both points.
Last August I went to Staten Island during a visit to New York City and learned how hilly the terrain there is (as captured by De Palma in the movie).

I almost forgot:
"There was no body because there was no murder."
Belle

Post by Belle »

Allhallowsday wrote: June 19th, 2023, 12:58 pm
Sepiatone wrote: June 19th, 2023, 11:55 am ...
My only disappointment in the movie is never learning why Thorwald killed Mr. Drucker's dog. And had there at one time been something significant buried under that flower that got shorter?
Sepiatone
The dog was killed because it was sniffing around Throrwald's "pet flower bed" where Mrs. Thorwald's HEAD was buried (we learn quite snappily all that including the head is in a hatbox in Thorwald's apartment... wanna look...?)
So reminiscent of the Robert Montgomery film "Night Must Fall" from 1937!! The head Danny (Robert Montgomery) carries around in the hat box!! Hunt Stromberg/Richard Thorpe and adapted from the play written by Emlyn Williams (a most interesting actor!!).