This week on SVENGOOLIE...

TikiSoo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for the update!

Saturday night is always my TV Night-first dinner with Stooges (which can range from great to awful) and then a movie with Svengoolie. Most of the time I've seen the movie far too many times or it's just a plain stinker (like last week) so I make crafts & just listen.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

This month on Svengoolie...

7/1: The Car (1977) w/ James Brolin, Kathleen Lloyd, John Marley, Elizabeth Thompson and Ronny Cox. Plus R.G. Armstrong, John Rubinstein and Roy Jenson.

7/8: Ghoulies (1985) w/ Peter Liapis, Lisa Pelikan, Michael Des Barres and Jack Nance. Plus Mariska Hargitay.

7/15: Ghoulies II (1987) w/ Damon Martin, Royal Dano, Phil Fondacaro, J. Downing and Kerry Remsen.

7/22: The Uninvited (1944) w/ Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Donald Crisp, Cornelia Otis Skinner, Alan Napier and Gail Russell.

7/29: The Haunted Strangler (1958) w/ Boris Karloff, Jean Kent, Elizabeth Allan and Anthony Dawson.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

THANKS! Although I'm not thrilled over the selection. I've never seen Ghoulies, guess it struck me as a little kid monster movie like Gremlins which I thought was far too silly. Must've been good, they made a sequel.
I can ALWAYS watch THE UNINVITED, like last week's CURSE OF THE DEMON, just a great movie.

First time viewing THE CAR was pretty over the top weird. I thought the dialogue was the WORST!
Actual line: "I don't know, what do you think?"

Of course I missed the very end. I came back from refilling my drink and it was over!
Can anyone enlighten me?
Was the car killing on auto-pilot or remote control? Or just "possessed"?

NM, just found a clip on YT

Apparently the car was possessed by Godzilla.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:shock:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Decisions, decisions. I will watch just about anything on Svengoolie once. But Ghoulies might be my limit.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

j.lunatic wrote: July 8th, 2023, 8:16 am Decisions, decisions. I will watch just about anything on Svengoolie once. But Ghoulies might be my limit.
Yea, even a "young Mariska Hargitay" isn't going to make me watch this train wreck.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

OH NO! It's a bad movie? I've never seen it so was looking forward to it. Same for last week's movie THE CAR.
It was a stinker, but glad I saw it. Once.

OTOH, I've seen The Uninvited several times, even on the big screen. But if it's on, I'll watch it. I love the eerie atmosphere, the mystery & the real ghost at the end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: July 8th, 2023, 11:26 am OH NO! It's a bad movie? I've never seen it so was looking forward to it. Same for last week's movie THE CAR.
It was a stinker, but glad I saw it. Once.

OTOH, I've seen The Uninvited several times, even on the big screen. But if it's on, I'll watch it. I love the eerie atmosphere, the mystery & the real ghost at the end.
Ghoulies is "a cut-rate 'Gremlins'" with "unexceptional performances" and "a lot of badly simulated gore". But hey, that doesn't mean it is bad.

As for Uninvited: one of my favorite films from any genre. Solid cast where the horror element is central but doesn't dominate.

Gail Russell at her most vulnerable with the lovely and haunting song Stella By Starlight.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

really appreciate the effort they show re: trivia resaerch

:smilie_happy_thumbup: :smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks Nanette.

Of course I watched last night, but had the sound off at times while on the phone. I missed NOTHING.
What a horrible movie, I can't believe it ever made money...and a sequel? :smiley_sick:

BUT...I was tickled when Sven told us about the long varied career of Michael Des Barres who played the Evil Master Malcolm Graves:

Although completely recognizable, I couldn't believe he was the cute, loveable kid in To Sir With Love

Still recognizable in his early rock star career:

..and still super handsome today! And I think he looks exactly the same!

The Three Stooges shorts 6-8p had a few surprises too, although the episodes themselves were meh.

Outer Space Jitters '57 had a monster played by Dan Blocker! Blocker obviously was a big, beefy guy. His cute face was obliterated by prosthetics but he used his body very effectively. Last scene, the babysitter is wearing the goofy make-up. Reminded me of the bear in The Shining-

...and the 1951 short Scrambled Brains had Shemp as mentally ill/delusional, with one scene where he was playing piano and extra hands emerged from his back playing with him. He slammed the keyboard cover down and broke off his fingers-the dismembered finger tips continued to play! All I could think of was that Japanese horror film Hausu '77.

Maybe horror gets it's inspiration from the Stooges?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

For anyone who has never seen the classic THE UNINVITED I hope you did not watch it this evening as it was shamelessly edited to death without a shred of guilt or decency.

They had to make room for Spawn of Svengoolie.

I was appalled.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:23 pm For anyone who has never seen the classic THE UNINVITED I hope you did not watch it this evening as it was shamelessly edited to death without a shred of guilt or decency.
Maybe appalling to us, classic film fans.
But if just ONE kid watches & enjoys it, it may get them past the common "black & white movie" prejudice.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

TikiSoo, you are putting a reasonable and positive spin on this but I have to tell you that I AM INCENSED!!

THE UNINVITED is not the kind of movie one expects on a Svengoolie show because there is nothing to be spoofed at (or interrupted) -- it's a quality production all the way through. We're not talking about fun schlock stuff like, say, ROBOT MONSTER or THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE where part of the enjoyment watching them is all the Sven schtick. But THE UNINVITED? Hell no.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I watched it but was unsure what got edited out. Hadn't seen it in a long time. Though a quality production, I thought the book was so much better. Hated the Milland wisecracks. The book wasn't like that at all. How long is this movie? Sven is 2 1/2 hrs now. Over 45 mins of schtick and commercials???
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Hibi wrote: July 25th, 2023, 1:29 pm I watched it but was unsure what got edited out. (snipped) Over 45 mins of schtick and commercials???
The Uninvited, like most mysteries & horror, is best seen without interruption to the story flow.
Anytime you watch a movie on TV your concentration of the story will be temporarily broken.

According to Wiki, The Uninvited is 98 minutes long.
Svengoolie's time slot is 150 minutes, which leaves 52 minutes for credits/schtick/commercials, so Hibi's not far off.

Bronxgirl, please enlighten us which crucial scenes were edited out.