No Young Film Coposers Competition This Year???

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Gagman 66

No Young Film Coposers Competition This Year???

Post by Gagman 66 »

:( Very sad and exceedingly disappointing news here. It certainly appears as if this years TCM YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION has been canceled? Why is no one talking about this? There has been no formal announcement to the best of my knowledge, either by TCM, Warner's or anyone else?

:? Normally, promo's for the Annual Event start airing by Mid-December. Well, here it is well into January, and absolutely nothing has happened? Nothing pertaining to a contest being held in 2008 of any kind? I was very much looking forward to see which film would be selected to be scored for next year?

:roll: In years past, the Website always started running the Film Clips on January 2nd. This year there are no new posts of any kind? A few of us were wondering if TCM didn't perhaps lose one or both of it's sponsors? Or perhaps that budget-cuts may have put and end to the competition?

:cry: If so, then I for one am very upset about this! Each of the previous Three Winners work had been exceptional! I certainly hope that the event will return next year, and has not been discontinued completely? Does anyone here have any additional information at all?
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o Well, I must say that I am pretty disappointed at the lack of response to this post! I expected that I would see a fair amount of feedback?

:cry: Anyway, it's official the YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION is "On Hiatus for 2008, while they evaluate the program!" That's basically a polite way I'm afraid of saying that this Annual event has been discontinued! What a dark day indeed! TCM has some new people in charge and all, and this certainly does not bode well for the future in my opinion!

:( What happens now with MGM titles such as King Vidor's WINE OF YOUTH (1924), and HIS HOUR (1924) is unknown? Will TCM ever get to these movies? Also what about titles such as SALLY, IRENE, AND MARY (1925) with Joan Crawford, Constance Bennett, and Sally 'O Neil? AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925) with Eleanor Boardman, and Renee Adoree? The Norma Shearer feature THE DEVIL'S CIRCUS (1926), the William Haines comedy SLIDE KELLY SLIDE (1927), The John Gilbert feature MAN, WOMAN, AND SIN (1927), with Jeanne Eagels, THE FIRE BRIGADE (1927), with Charles Ray, and May McAvoy, and Clarence Brown's THE COSSACKS (1928) with Gilbert, Adoree, and Nils Asther? Also how about the Marion Davies comedies TILLIE THE TOILER (1926), THE FAIR CO-ED (1927), and THE CARDBOARD LOVER (1928)?

:x Then you have a host of First National Silent's in particular THE PATENT LEATHER KID (1927), with Richard Barthelmess Oscar Nominated performance, and the newly discovered Colleen Moore feature HER WILD OAT from the same year? I wonder if TCM still intends to have the same amount of films scored this year, even without the Young Film Composers Competition, or will we see anything new to speak of at all?

:roll: TCM is debuting WINGS next month. Hopefully, it is a new restoration? They will also air the William Haines feature SPRING FEVER in March? But that is a hold-over from last years YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION as the Winner is always contracted to score two films. In this case it is Darrell Raby's who's score to THE SHOW last year that won the contest I found to be outstanding.

:shock: In addition, TCM in the States has yet to debut the new restorations of Henry King's THE WHITE SISTER (1923), PEG 'O MY HEART (1922), King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE (1925), and Tod Browning's THE BLACKBIRD with Lon Chaney, Adoree, and Owen Moore, among others? So those may appear, but what happens after that is very much up in the air????
Last edited by Gagman 66 on January 11th, 2008, 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I had checked the TCM site to see if there was anything official. It is disappointing as it seemed like a great way for new composers to get in the door and show their talents.

Thank you for the additional comments. It gives me some more things to look for.

Would you imagine this is economics?
Last edited by movieman1957 on January 11th, 2008, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Gagman,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I guess TCM just wanted the cancelation to fly under the radar by ignoring it. I suppose that we can still hope for new scores for these other films, they just won't come from the contest winners. Overall, this last year has been an impressive one for TCM with the number of premieres they've had. I sincerely hope they continue in that direction.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:shock: So did anyone happen to catch the promo that TCM is now running for Tuesday's presentation, and the Television debut of John Barrymore's BEAU BRUMMEL (1924), with James Schafer's brand new score? Anyway, it clearly reads "THE 9TH ANNUAL TCM YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION"???

:roll: Huh, well, it can only be the "9th Annual" event, if they are still going to have one in 2008! Last year would have been the 8th Annual? Very confusing promo??? This would certainly lead one to believe that the contest may yet still take place after-all??? Let's hope so!!! :wink: