The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
- Audrey Hepburn

Posting photographs

How to register an account

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

SSO Admins
Administrator

Posting photographs

Postby SSO Admins » April 14th, 2007, 2:15 pm

If you look above the text entry box when you are typing, you'll see a button called "Img." Clicking it pastes IMG tags into your post, between which you put the URL of a photograph. Shown below is an example of how this should look, with spaces added to the tags so they will appear here.

[IMG ]http://plasticage.net/gallery/albums/userpics/tolabledavid.jpg[/IMG ]

will, with spaces removed, show up like this:

There is a place on plasticage.net where you can post photos and link to them. PLEASE put your photos there, or alternatively use a photo hosting web site like Google Picasa or Flickr. DO NOT link to photos on other sites, as this is considered stealing bandwidth, and I'd prefer not to get nasty letters.

The plasticage.net site for photos is here. You will need to register separately from the forums to use it, although I'm trying to figure out how to combine them in one registration.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » April 14th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Jon, could you please double check on the uploaded picture that I've placed in the Western section to make sure that I used the protocol as per your request? Here's the image that I uploaded from my computer to the plasticage.net gallery:

http://plasticage.net/refugees/viewtopic.php?p=113#113

Thank you.

SSO Admins
Administrator

Postby SSO Admins » April 14th, 2007, 9:31 pm

Perfect!

moira finnie
Administrator

Photo question

Postby moira finnie » May 12th, 2007, 11:34 am

Jon,
I have had a Geocities Website for a few years. I'd like to link directly from a post here to a picture posted on that site, enabling me to show a photo that I've posted there within a comment here. I try to do this by listing the address of the photo, highlighting that namestring and then clicking on the Img tag. Whenever I try to do this, the image doesn't show up. Why? Do I need to upload this photo first through the Plastic Age Net Gallery? I am out of disk space on the Plastic Age Net Gallery and this seems to be a logical workaround, but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks for your help.

SSO Admins
Administrator

Postby SSO Admins » May 12th, 2007, 11:54 am

I don't think Geocities allows linking to photos (they're still around?).

I tried upping the amount of disk space that users were allowed on plasticage.net galleries, but apparently it didn't take.

You have two choices, at least until I can figure out what's wrong.

1. Open a new plasticage user account. That will start you fresh with a new allotment.

2. Use Flickr to host your photos. Alternatively, use Google Picasa. Both allow linking.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » May 12th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Thanks Jon.
Yes, Geocities is still around. I put a website together there as a learning experience about 6 years ago and haven't touched it since. I was hoping that I could use it to simplify posting my pictures here, but it may only be do-able if I cough up some money every month to get a "premium" account. I have a Picasa & Photobucket account, and I'm trying to get used to using them. I found the Plastic Age Gallery to be very user friendly. I'll try registering anew on the Plastic Age Net Gallery. I appreciate your help. Thanks again--very much.
moira

P.S. I was able to use Jon's suggested solutions to workaround this issue by registering anew on the Plastic Age Net Gallery. One needs another email account, but that's certainly not a problem for most of us, who tend to maintain several for personal and professional reasons.

SSO Admins
Administrator

Postby SSO Admins » May 12th, 2007, 2:14 pm

moirafinnie wrote:P.S. I was able to use Jon's suggested solutions to workaround this issue by registering anew on the Plastic Age Net Gallery. One needs another email account, but that's certainly not a problem for most of us, who tend to maintain several for personal and professional reasons.

If you like, I can provide a plasticage.net (or a silverscreenoasis.com) mail account. The only thing I ask is that you not use it as a "junk" account for registering on dicey web sites so that spam starts to eat up a lot of bandwidth. But I can do that for any user.

moira finnie
Administrator

Email accounts

Postby moira finnie » May 12th, 2007, 2:19 pm

That's very generous of you, Jon. I don't feel the need for that at this time. I share your desire to avoid visits to and from "dicey" websites & individuals on the web, (I try to filter & block them out as much as possible), and I have enough email accounts for my relatively small needs at this time. Perhaps others would be interested, though. Thanks for your help.

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » January 12th, 2008, 5:29 am

I registered on the Pastic Age website, but it doesn't allow me to upload any image :?:

Can I add images from my own Image Shack account? Is it allowed?

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » January 12th, 2008, 10:11 am

Ann Harding wrote:I registered on the Plastic Age website, but it doesn't allow me to upload any image :?:

Can I add images from my own Image Shack account? Is it allowed?

Hi Ann Harding,
I'm not sure why you aren't able to upload an image from your computer to the Plastic Age gallery site, found here, unless you are trying to upload an image that might be too large. I'm hoping that Jondaris, (our technical sensei) will add his insight into this matter.

For what it's worth, I have image sites other than the plastic age where I store images that I sometimes use here. I use picasa, flickr, and photobucket, but mostly use a geocities site as well. Because I've been able to utilize these sites, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to upload images from your site as well, (though we do ask members not to hotlink to any other site).

To assist you, I'll give you an example of one of my photos to illustrate the steps I use to show a picture here, (most of which I keep in the 400 x 450 max. range, though 500 x 500 is the maximum I'd recommend going for viewability. This makes it easier for all users, (dial up and broadband) to view. The following is the web address where I have a photo stored:

http://www.geocities.com/ssophotos88/mhcagney.JPG

By highlighting the webstring shown above, and then clicking on the IMG button (between the List and URL buttons) that appears on the upper right of your Post a Reply screen, I can then make the photo visible to others, as seen below, after clicking on Submit to post the message:

When you look at your text within the message box of your posting, you'll see [ img ] and [ /img ] bracketed without any spaces before and after your namestring for the location of your photo. Here it is with spaces to give you some idea of how it should look:
[ img ]h tt p:/ /w w w.geo citie s.com /s so photos 88 /mhcagn ey.JPG[ /img ]

I hope that this helps a bit!
Last edited by moira finnie on March 30th, 2008, 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » January 12th, 2008, 10:46 am

Thanks for the details. After a little searching, I found my way through. :wink:
Last edited by Ann Harding on January 12th, 2008, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » January 12th, 2008, 11:13 am

Ann Harding wrote:Thanks for the details. But, in actual facts, the problem rests within the website. I get an error message:

Sorry, there aren't any album where you are allowed to upload your pictures.

Perhaps, one needs to register to an existing album???

If you've logged in and uploaded an image, the next step would be to click on the Create/Order my albums button that appears next to the modify my albums button. Then when trying to view the pic that you've uploaded, you'll need to place the pic in an album that you've created. I've asked Jon to check out these issues and when he has time, I'm sure that he will post too.

Since you already have an image storing account at Image Shack, have you tried to follow the steps I mentioned in my previous message, posting the web address of the picture that you want to show
as in the example below, (with spaces added to make it readable)?:
[ img ]http://www.image shack.com/your picture. jpg [ /img ]

Good luck, and I'm sure that Jon will have more hints to offer. Thanks for being so patient.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » January 12th, 2008, 11:17 am

Thanks. It worked. :wink:

I had forgotten to create a 'new album'. I have already uploaded two images.

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » January 28th, 2008, 4:07 am

It looks as if your 'plasticage.net' website has changed completely.... :cry: The links I posted earlier do not work any more....
Any clues?

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » January 28th, 2008, 9:04 am

Hi Ann,
I see that the Plastic Net Gallery photos seems to have been affected by the upgrade to the server that Jon alerted us to over the weekend. I'll be sure and bring this to his attention and see if that can be restored asap.
I'll post here or ask Jon to do so when more information is available.

I am sorry that this has occurred and will do what I can to solve the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Moira

Return to “Registering as new user”