MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Masha

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 6:11 am
(I can't believe any grown adult man cares about seeing bras/bewbs in a movie)
Our experiences are quite different. I have known only two men who were not interested in seeing breasts live, in movies or in images. One was: Bruce and the other was his very close personal friend: Alvin.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Masha wrote: July 27th, 2023, 9:51 am
Our experiences are quite different. I have known only two men who were not interested in seeing breasts live, in movies or in images. One was: Bruce and the other was his very close personal friend: Alvin.
Really. What kind of woman claims to not understand that heterosexual men are always interested in the breasts of attractive women - no matter what stage of "grown adulthood" has been reached?

A lying, bullying one - that's what kind.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Fedya wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 8:26 am She's not wearing a bra
Omigod-my EYES!
You are misreading a post based on your own biases. See the final sentence of "Also, even though it was only for a frame or two, I think she had the first topless scene in an American studio film)".

Fedya makes the point that two pre-code films might be considered to have the first topless scene in an American studio film.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

When discussing "pre-code" movies it always seems to surprise some guys, still not all that familiar with movies made before the Hayes code that such such images were quite common in movies of the time. I grew up seeing many "pre-code" movies on TV, but that was long enough ago that by the time I first saw them they were carefully edited and not until cable TV and stations like TCM came along is when I finally saw what the fuss was all bout back then. Like, I saw this movie many times but it wasn't until I saw it on TCM in it's earlier days I finally saw this scene from "Sons Of The Desert".

Or these often deleted scenes from KING KONG....

Sepiatone
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:18 am Fedya makes the point that two pre-code films might be considered to have the first topless scene in an American studio film.
WARNING: Do not read the following if you hate film history pedantry.

In Wings (1927), Clara Bow is briefly caught topless while changing clothes.

In Ben Hur (1925), a parade features topless flower girls.

Hypocrites (1915) features a nude statue and "allegorical" female nudity.

These are just examples I remember off-hand. The U.S. film studios during the silent era put out plenty of material that gave small-town censors the fits.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

j.lunatic wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:46 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:18 am Fedya makes the point that two pre-code films might be considered to have the first topless scene in an American studio film.

These are just examples I remember off-hand. The U.S. film studios during the silent era put out plenty of material that gave small-town censors the fits.
Thanks for this info. Note that I was careful and stated, "might be considered", since I recalled there were some silent films by US Studios that featured some degree of female nudity, and I'm not anywhere close to being able to claim knowledge as it relates to silent films.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 11:57 am
j.lunatic wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:46 am

Thanks for this info. Note that I was careful and stated, "might be considered", since I recalled there were some silent films by US Studios that featured some degree of female nudity, and I'm not anywhere close to being able to claim knowledge as it relates to silent films.
If you consider the silent, pseudo-travelogue Legong: Dance of the virgins to be a studio film then it is probably the first to feature up close nudity.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 10:18 am
TikiSoo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 6:11 am Omigod-my EYES!
You are misreading a post based on your own biases.
Heh, I was referring to the line:
Fedya wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 8:26 am(And then there's James Cagney looking at Joan Blondell's brassiere in Blonde Crazy

That's why I said, "My eyes!" as if Cagney is saying, " I just saw a brassiere!"
I didn't imagine seeing a bra would have that much impact on a worldly guy like Cagney.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

LostHorizons wrote: July 27th, 2023, 12:10 pm If you consider the silent, pseudo-travelogue Legong: Dance of the virgins to be a studio film then it is probably the first to feature up close nudity.
"National Geographic" nudity has a long, sordid film history. Trader Horn (1931) is an interesting example. First we see bare-breasted tribeswomen. Then we meet the white queen, wearing a necklace/breastplate over her chest. Then she throws a fit, during which the breastplate flies up enough to show her bare breasts. (Edwina Booth was a Mormon, returning to the church after her film career ended; she did not like to talk about her experience.)
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

j.lunatic wrote: July 27th, 2023, 1:08 pm
LostHorizons wrote: July 27th, 2023, 12:10 pm If you consider the silent, pseudo-travelogue Legong: Dance of the virgins to be a studio film then it is probably the first to feature up close nudity.
"National Geographic" nudity has a long, sordid film history. Trader Horn (1931) is an interesting example. First we see bare-breasted tribeswomen. Then we meet the white queen, wearing a necklace/breastplate over her chest. Then she throws a fit, during which the breastplate flies up enough to show her bare breasts. (Edwina Booth was a Mormon, returning to the church after her film career ended; she did not like to talk about her experience.)
Of the “goona goona films” Last of the Pagans might be the best example. It was both filmed and released by MGM so it is definitely a studio film and it includes a full body nude scene early on when the Tahitian woman is swimming in a pool beneath a waterfall.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Don't forget the ladies of Ingagi (1930).

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 12:23 pm
That's why I said, "My eyes!" as if Cagney is saying, " I just saw a brassiere!"
I didn't imagine seeing a bra would have that much impact on a worldly guy like Cagney.
Perhaps this sort of thing could be considered in the same vein as that cardinal rule in the art of the Striptease, Tiki.

You know. That thing about it being far more enticing to keep certain parts of the female body concealed from view until the very last moments of the act? And yes, even though I know a bra's main purpose is for "support".

And so now further delving into this sort of thought, I'll now post the following meme here and not in Masha's thread, as I believe the timing for it HERE is most appropriate...

(...and even though I know you hate it when you read people saying the following, I'm gonna say it now anyway...HEY, "just sayin'!") ;) LOL
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

OH, and btw...

I see Bronxie here hasn't gotten around to posting the thought in her thread here of how Richard Widmark's post-Tommy Udo career seemed to be filled with so many self-righteous characters. She had brought this thought up in passing in another thread recently.

And so in this case, here's what first came to my mind when I read her comment the other day:

Perhaps this was why Widmark was so well cast as the lead prosecutor in 'Judgement at Nuremberg'?

So, any ponderings on this thought or the career of Richard Widmark in general here, folks?

(...as you can see, I'm done talkin' about women's breast here for the moment) ;) LOL
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, Dargo!

To paraphrase the judge in ANATOMY OF A MURDER, let's get our minds off the boobies! lol well, "for the moment"

Dargo, you got it, man, with JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG. Of course if ever a character had more impetous to be self-righteous it was with that subject matter; however, Richard does go a bit over the top...I mentioned in another thread I could name five films of his off the top of my head where Widmark overdoes it but now at midnight and with a heat index in South Florida of 100 my brain is melting so I can only come up with THE SWARM. I guarantee I will have the other four when our temperature drops to only 85 degrees.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 27th, 2023, 11:06 pm
Dargo, you got it, man, with JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG. Of course if ever a character had more impetous to be self-righteous it was with that subject matter; however, Richard does go a bit over the top...I mentioned in another thread I could name five films of his off the top of my head where Widmark overdoes it but now at midnight and with a heat index in South Florida of 100 my brain is melting so I can only come up with THE SWARM. I guarantee I will have the other four when our temperature drops to only 85 degrees.
I'd like to weigh in on Richard Widmark. My favorite film of his would have to be Kiss Of Death (1947), his skull like face and evil giggle is still chilling to this day. I also want to defend him in Judgement At Nuremberg , I thought he was excellent, one of the stand outs in the star studded cast. I loved the look he gives defense attorney Maximilian Schell early in the film.
Some of my other favorites-

The snarling racist in No Way Out (1950)

The pickpocket in Pick Up On South Street (1953)

The tough drill sergeant in Take The High Ground (1953)