He Was Her Man (1934)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

He Was Her Man (1934)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Any thoughts or info in this one? Comes on around 3am my time. Should I set the alarm?
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I haven't seen this since 2004 so it's one of my early early Cagneys, if that makes sense. I thought it was a really good one though. And hey it's Jimmy Cagney and Joan Blondell. It's always going to be worth watching just for that!
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

Mr. Arkadin,

Hope you did have the chance to watch "He Was Her Man" since prior to its showings on TCM it remained one of the more obscure of Jimmy's early 30s Warner films. The reason supposedly being because of Miss Blondell's playing of a prostitute. It's a neat little crime drama, with Victor Jory playing an uncharacteristic sympathetic role (compare his part in this to his role as Grayce in "Each Dawn I Die"). A good, rather unexpected wrap up, as well. Another film that I hope Warners will get around to releasing on DVD.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I woke up, hit record, and went back to sleep. I'll check it out sometime soon. TCM has been showing a lot of great stuff lately at all kinds of crazy times. The Wellman films were great, but my sleep pattern is still not back to normal. :roll:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I missed this one and I don't believe I've ever seen it. I hope TCM plays it again. I agree about the crazy hours all the good stuff is airing. I have to watch the schedule closely not to miss them.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I truly don't want to cause any furor here, but someone tell me seriously, does it not seem that TCM plays a lot of either brand new, or unseen for 4 or 5 years stuff in the early hours, or during the day, and in primetime for months now, it's been repeat, repeat theater? Yesterday, for example, all night, early morning, and most of the day, were all rare oldies, yet when it got to primetime, we get Brief Encounter, The Clock, and Wuthering Heights, why, why, why? Why can't they reverse themselves?

Although I still check TCM every day and night for their schedule, I find myself watching more and more of other channels in primetime because I've seen their movies time and again. Granted, there are many movies I enjoy over and over, but not all of them. It's like Carrie Fisher said "Just because its old, doesn't mean its a classic". A large part of my yardstick for classic is how many times I watch it, and as all of you, I'll see some films 50 times and still want more, whereas, for others, 5 or 6 viewings is enough, and I'll wait 2 or 3 years before re-viewing.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

I have this on tape, and watched it several times, but not lately -- I'll have to look at it again. This one came out of left field for me. It's the eighth and last film Cagney and Joan Blondell made together. Probably the most somber film they made together, too.

What gets me is the ending, which is even more ambiguous than ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES. While the ending is more fated for Blondell, we don't really know what happens to Cagney after he starts walking toward the border.

Anybody else who's seen the film care to comment?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I watched about half of it last night before I had to turn off the DVR and sleep. I've seen it before, but I'm trying to remember part of it.

Cagney and Blondell were a fantastic pairing though, the best of the early 30s, IMO.
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

I think there's little doubt that Cagney gets bumped off.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

raftfan wrote:I think there's little doubt that Cagney gets bumped off.
No, that's pretty clear. I finished watching it this afternoon. I had forgotten how dark this film really is.