Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:smiley_cheer:
scsu1975 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 8:46 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 6:59 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: August 12th, 2023, 4:43 pm

Yes. Late, in the wee hours, sheer luck. It was so spectacularly B with good acting from the male leads, implausible and dead-scripted as it is, and RHONDA was featured in one off the rack Halloween costume Cleopatra after another. Spectookular! A treasure trove of Bad. :yahoo:

Oh my gosh, allhallowsday, you make it sound positively irresistible! I'm crazy for the schlock! Drat, they'll never show this again I fear....
You can watch it on YouTube.

Really? Oh my gosh, THANKS RICH!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 13th, 2023, 9:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 13th, 2023, 6:59 pm ...THE SERPENT OF THE NILE (1953)

Oh my gosh, allhallowsday, you make it sound positively irresistible! I'm crazy for the schlock! Drat, they'll never show this again I fear....
The best bad movie I've looked at maybe this year.
If you have a sweet-tooth for crap, it ranks... switch the "s"...pun intended!

LOL I'm guessing William Lundigan is Antony and Raymond Burr plays the asp.

(thanks to Rich I will check it out on YouTube!)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 7:58 pm ...LOL I'm guessing William Lundigan is Antony and Raymond Burr plays the asp...
Nope. Wah-rong. I don't know exactly who LUNDIGAN is supposed to be, but RAYMOND BURR plays Marc Antony... ;)
I had to watch that.
Belle

Post by Belle »

"Address Unknown", Director William Cameron Menzies, Cinematography Rudolph Mate starring Paul Lukas, Mady Christians. Excellent restoration.

Quite a gruelling film about Germany when Hitler came to power and the Jews. Made in 1944 no doubt as a propaganda vehicle. Recommended.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 14th, 2023, 10:04 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 14th, 2023, 7:58 pm ...LOL I'm guessing William Lundigan is Antony and Raymond Burr plays the asp...
Nope. Wah-rong. I don't know exactly who LUNDIGAN is supposed to be, but RAYMOND BURR plays Marc Antony... ;)
I had to watch that.

Good God, the mind boggles!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 14th, 2023, 10:04 pm
I had to watch that.
OMG!!!! Now that would reel me in!!! :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My favorite Raymond Burr role is as reporter Steve Martin in the 1956 American version of GODZILLA. Granted he doesn't have much to do since it's mainly the big lizard's show but I appreciate his character nonetheless. "Signing off from Tokyo!"
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 6:47 pm My favorite Raymond Burr role is as reporter Steve Martin in the 1956 American version of GODZILLA. Granted he doesn't have much to do since it's mainly the big lizard's show but I appreciate his character nonetheless. "Signing off from Tokyo!"
Like all Americans, I grew up with the chopped salad GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (1956) but long ago I was lucky enough to look at the original GOJIRA (1954) which TCM shows frequently. Unlike all of the later drek that grew out of that genre, the original is still powerful and superior.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I agree completely about GORIJA. Powerful as you say (the American version leaves out discussions by the locals, via subtitles of course, on the atomic bomb if I'm remembering correctly) and yes oh so superior to what followed in the "series".
laffite

Post by laffite »

Allhallowsday wrote: August 15th, 2023, 7:31 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 6:47 pm My favorite Raymond Burr role is as reporter Steve Martin in the 1956 American version of GODZILLA. Granted he doesn't have much to do since it's mainly the big lizard's show but I appreciate his character nonetheless. "Signing off from Tokyo!"
Like all Americans, I grew up with the chopped salad GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (1956) but long ago I was lucky enough to look at the original GOJIRA (1954) which TCM shows frequently. Unlike all of the later drek that grew out of that genre, the original is still powerful and superior.
Not all Americans I'm afraid. I have never been into Zillas of any kind. I have never heard of Gojira and am not tempted. Horror film bore me to death, though I still breathe. It's on me, I know. Just don't get it.
"Desire" (1936)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think they added his part to the movie when it was released in the U.S. It wasn't in the original version (if I remember correctly).
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

laffite wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:25 am ...
Not all Americans I'm afraid. I have never been into Zillas of any kind. I have never heard of Gojira and am not tempted. Horror film bore me to death, though I still breathe. It's on me, I know. Just don't get it.
I mean introduced by the chopped salad Godzilla on TV. If one doesn't like it, it's understandable. I don't think much of giant monster movies either.
Hibi wrote: August 16th, 2023, 10:08 am ...
I think they added his part to the movie when it was released in the U.S. It wasn't in the original version (if I remember correctly).
Yes. Of course.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Murder in Greenwich Village (1937)

A man catches a woman in pajamas. She decides to go to his apartment for a change of clothes rather than explaining to the police why she was jumping off a fire escape while wearing stolen pjs.

This movie has little plot and is not much of a mystery. It does have talented actors wandering through nearly every trope of 1930's boy-meets-girl, girl-hates-boy, boy-risks-all-to-help-girl-when-simply-telling-the-police-the-truth-would-put-him-in-the-clear, girl-gets-the-hots-for-the-boy movies.

It does prove that: Fay Wray was a good actress even when not co-starring with a big ape.

This does not fall within my parameters for calling it a bit of fluff because it is slightly more to the right in the silly->serious spectrum than movies which allow the viewer to totally turn off their mind.

6.1/11

This movie sporadically appears on the: Cinevault Classics live channel on: TubiTV. It may be difficult to find because schedules for those channels are limited to less than a day in advance. I can find no other reliable streaming service which carries it.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

The last movie I saw at CapitolFest was Reckless Living '31 starring Mae Clarke and Ricardo Cortez. It was basically a story of a girl married to the man she loved-who battled a gambling addiction and her old flame who is a successful bookie gangster type.

The story was breezy & fun- the gangster kept trying to lure the husband to place bets/lose money so Clarke would leave him, giving the gangster chance at getting her back. All principles were great, the writing was snappy and the situations were fun-especially when the cops came knocking when Mae's kitchen sink was full of home made gin!

But the real standout to me was Louise Beavers, whom garnered applause from the audience when she first came on screen. I love Beavers who can make the smallest, blandest "maid" role interesting. In this movie, she had very few lines but the gold was in her silent action:
As soon as she entered the apartment, she sat alongside "the action" and quietly poured herself a cup of tea, sipping & listening in while the principles were deep in conversation about their dilemma. When someone took out a pack of cigarettes, Beavers smiled, stealthily took one and smoked while all the dialogue/action took place around her! The doorbell rang and Beavers continued relaxing while the lady of the house rushed to answer, her entire pantomime receiving hearty laughs from the audience!

All I could think of was Marla Gibbs playing sassy maid Florence on The Jeffersons classic TV show 40-50 years later. While I'm sure the part was written that way, Louise Beavers did a great job fleshing out what could have been a minor, forgotten role - instead, her talent made the role & scene a standout!

Look how pretty she was!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Winter Kills (1979) Theater 8/10

The younger brother (Jeff Bridges) of an assassinated US President uncovers conspiracy theories.

A black comedy/thriller obviously based on the JFK assassination with different names. There is a once in a lifetime cast- John Huston, Anthony Perkins, Eli Wallach, Ralph Meeker, Dorothy Malone, Toshiro Mifune, Richard Boone, Sterling Hayden and an unbilled cameo by Elizabeth Taylor. Huston is especially hilarious as an unhinged Joseph Kennedy type. Bridges is the sole sane man among a bunch of nutjobs. Hayden seems to be playing an older version of Gen. Ripper from Dr. Strangelove. And Wallach's character is based on Jack Ruby, only called Joe Diamond here. Despite all the lunacy, there are enough twists and suspense to make this an involving thriller.
The film was a flop when first released, I guess it was still too close to the real assassination (only 16 years) to be accepted for it's humor.