Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
speedracer5

Re: Really? You've NEVER seen that Classic Film?

Post by speedracer5 »

kingrat wrote: May 12th, 2023, 5:39 pm And I thought I was the only curmudgeon who didn't luv luv luv Mrs. Doubtfire, as my spousal unit does. Since it's so unreal anyway, I thought it should have had the "happy" ending where the spouses get back together. For me, the film has all the problems noted by Cinema International and speedracer.
I like Mrs Doubtfire and will watch it, but it's not something that I need to watch again and again. I think I might have seen it in the theater when it came out in the 4th grade. We used to have it on VHS. I've seen it a handful of times since then. Re: the ending. I don't know if I think Sally Field and Robin Williams should have gotten together at the end, I think that Pierce Brosnan's character seemed like a much better fit for Sally. The film does have the happy ending in that Sally arranged for Robin to take care of the kids after school everyday, versus hiring a housekeeper. She gets someone who will take care of the kids properly (for free, obviously) and Robin gets to see his kids everyday, which is what he wanted when he was masquerading as Mrs. Doubtfire. Also his Mrs. Doubtfire persona does lead into what appears to be a steady and presumably well paying job, hosting a local children's show.

The part when Mrs. Doubtfire's mask falls out the window and is run over by the garbage truck is one of my favorite parts of the movie:

Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: May 12th, 2023, 6:22 pm
kingrat wrote: May 12th, 2023, 5:39 pm And I thought I was the only curmudgeon who didn't luv luv luv Mrs. Doubtfire, as my spousal unit does. Since it's so unreal anyway, I thought it should have had the "happy" ending where the spouses get back together. For me, the film has all the problems noted by Cinema International and speedracer.
I like Mrs Doubtfire and will watch it, but it's not something that I need to watch again and again. I think I might have seen it in the theater when it came out in the 4th grade. We used to have it on VHS. I've seen it a handful of times since then.
I saw MRS DOUBTFIRE in the theater when it came out (I was in the third grade) and I have seen it a few times since then. I enjoy it.

My favorite sequence is the one where Robin Williams's make-up artist brother (played by Harvey Fierstein) is trying to create the look for Mrs. Doubtfire. The segue from "Matchmaker" from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF to Williams channeling 1990s Streisand always makes me smile.

That sequence starts with a SUNSET BOULEVARD reference and ends with some of my favorite movie dialogue:

R WILLIAMS Need to go older.

H FIERSTEIN Older? You mean like Shelley Winters older or Shirley MacLaine older?

R WILLIAMS What's the difference?

H FIERSTEIN Some Scotch tape and red hair dye.

R WILLIAMS What about Joan Collins?

H FIERSTEIN Oh, I don't think I have the strength.

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 12th, 2023, 6:52 pm
speedracer5 wrote: May 12th, 2023, 6:22 pm
I like Mrs Doubtfire and will watch it, but it's not something that I need to watch again and again. I think I might have seen it in the theater when it came out in the 4th grade. We used to have it on VHS. I've seen it a handful of times since then.
I saw MRS DOUBTFIRE in the theater when it came out (I was in the third grade) and I have seen it a few times since then. I enjoy it.

My favorite sequence is the one where Robin Williams's make-up artist brother (played by Harvey Fierstein) is trying to create the look for Mrs. Doubtfire. The segue from "Matchmaker" from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF to Williams channeling 1990s Streisand always makes me smile.

That sequence starts with a SUNSET BOULEVARD reference and ends with some of my favorite movie dialogue:

R WILLIAMS Need to go older.

H FIERSTEIN Older? You mean like Shelley Winters older or Shirley MacLaine older?

R WILLIAMS What's the difference?

H FIERSTEIN Some Scotch tape and red hair dye.

R WILLIAMS What about Joan Collins?

H FIERSTEIN Oh, I don't think I have the strength.
I love that part too! It gives Robin Williams a chance to show off his talent for impressions. The Streisand part was funny. I like all the parts that don't have the kids. Lol. I enjoy the part where he tries to cook and lights his fake boobs on fire. I like the "Dude Looks Like a Lady" part with the vacuum. I laugh when the bus driver is always hitting on Mrs Doubtfire in the evening. Then in the one scene where Robin Williams' nylons roll down revealing his hairy leg and the bus driver notices and says "I like that in a woman." I also like when he pushes his face into his frosted cake to hide his appearance from the social worker. And even though it's mean, I like when he throws the lime at the back of Pierce Brosnan's head and then says "it must have been a drive-by fruiting."

This movie has a lot of good parts. Too bad the plot didn't allow for removing the kids and just focused on the three adult leads. LOL.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Sounds like it's time for me to see Mrs Doubtfire, didn't know fave Fierstein was in it. Actually avoided it after seeing the oft shown clip of the bewbs on fire - don't find that kind of humor funny.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

I had Quine-Lemmon-Novak double feature this weekend. First I saw Bell, Book, and Candle.

I liked the movie, but at the same time I was expecting a little more effort from James Stewart and Kim Novak. Witches as beatniks is a good touch, and the French mime at the club was terrific.I liked the supporting cast, specially Jack Lemmon and Hermione Gingold. I had never seen Ernie Kovacs before and he irrtitated me all the time.

Then I saw The Notorious Landlady.

Bell, Book, and Candle may be the better movie, but I enjoyed this one a bit more. Kim Novak seems more relaxed and Fred Astaire gets to do some physical comedy. I thought the chase scene near the end of the movie was very funny.
When in doubt, have another one.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Arsan444 wrote: September 5th, 2023, 8:53 pm

Then I saw The Notorious Landlady.
I've never even heard of this film, much less seen it. I thought I was pretty familiar with films from the 50s onwards, but just goes to show you there's always something new to discover.

I'll have to seek it out. Thanks!