Noir Alley

Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 27th, 2023, 4:48 pm
I don't recall one either. Most of the episodes revolve around the same track. Noise; kids; property disputes. Every once in awhile there's a really out there episode that stands out. Some have pretty gruesome results.

He didn't need one. He had an umbrella! :D
And pets. I had forgotten the one, though it didn't start the feud, where the neighbor had a gruesome skeleton display for
Halloween that he wouldn't take down.

Yeah the umbrella. Even this dope wouldn't be stupid enough to leave his hoodie in the bank.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Whiplash is okay. A better Dane Clark-Zachary Scott movie with Janis Paige in the middle is Her Kind of Man. Scott is a shady gambler. Clark is a reporter. Paige is a singer.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

DELETE
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 27th, 2023, 9:01 pm
Hibi wrote: September 27th, 2023, 4:48 pm
I don't recall one either. Most of the episodes revolve around the same track. Noise; kids; property disputes. Every once in awhile there's a really out there episode that stands out. Some have pretty gruesome results.

He didn't need one. He had an umbrella! :D
And pets. I had forgotten the one, though it didn't start the feud, where the neighbor had a gruesome skeleton display for
Halloween that he wouldn't take down.

Yeah the umbrella. Even this dope wouldn't be stupid enough to leave his hoodie in the bank.

Yeah, I forgot about dogs. There was a really gruesome one about that. (several others).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jameselliot wrote: September 28th, 2023, 8:51 pm Whiplash is okay. A better Dane Clark-Zachary Scott movie with Janis Paige in the middle is Her Kind of Man. Scott is a shady gambler. Clark is a reporter. Paige is a singer.
I wonder why this hasn't popped up yet on Noir Alley? Haven't seen this one either.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

jameselliot wrote: September 28th, 2023, 8:51 pm Whiplash is okay. A better Dane Clark-Zachary Scott movie with Janis Paige in the middle is Her Kind of Man. Scott is a shady gambler. Clark is a reporter. Paige is a singer.
Saw Her Kind of Man last night on MOVIES Noir Thursday night. I agree that film is better than Whiplash.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 29th, 2023, 10:16 am
Saw Her Kind of Man last night on MOVIES Noir Thursday night. I agree that film is better than Whiplash.

"Say WHAT?!!!"

;)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 29th, 2023, 9:48 am
Yeah, I forgot about dogs. There was a really gruesome one about that. (several others).
Very few neighbors make it out with just wounds. It's usually fatal. And though one party is
usually the clear aggressor, the other party often does things that make the whole situation
worse instead of just ignoring it.
laffite

Post by laffite »

The best part of Whiplash was the alcoholic brother who misquotes Milton. But at least he knew it was misquoting. Somber alcoholics can be quite erudite. Remember Van Heflen in JE? Eddie said that the fight sequences were awful. Nearly all fight sequenced are awful in Hollywood. The best was The Set-Up but that's because the fighter in that movie was not a hero. He was a fighter who took dives. The sequence were dull but could pass for realism. Alexis Smith was excruciatingly dull. Sakall was about as exciting as it gets. Eve Arden stepping on toes (literally) was funny. Eve Arden is gold digging? I hope the sugar daddy has a sense of humor (and steel-toed shoes). Eddie mention that Whiplash was at 91 minutes. It seem like 121 minutes.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

I'am not crazy about Dane Clark even if I have seen many of his movies. I would have liked to know if Clark was standing on a box to kiss Alexis Smith in the ending scene...but Eddie did not say anything about this alas..
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

nakanosunplaza wrote: October 1st, 2023, 3:43 pm I'am not crazy about Dane Clark even if I have seen many of his movies. I would have liked to know if Clark was standing on a box to kiss Alexis Smith in the ending scene...but Eddie did not say anything about this alas..
Clark was just a little bit taller than Smith.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

James I would be surprised Clark would be taller than Smith,her height was a problem at Warners most the leading men were 5'7, Smith was close to 5'10 or5'11,I watched about 30 movies with Dane Clark I always noticed he was diminutive, probably 5'6, nothing higher. On the internet it says more but it was probably studio pub, he is using the same tricks they used for Alan Ladd.Even the hairdo helped him to look taller
Andree

Post by Andree »

Another one of those not bad, not anything special films. I thought the first half hour was the best, as
the question is what is the story behind this mystery woman. After we learn the story, things get a little
dull. And the story is the usual jealous, control freak husband keeping a very close eye on the missus and
who she's interested in. Sure there are a goodly number of cliched situations in this noir, but there are
similar situations in most noirs, even the top drawer ones. Dane Clark was all right in the ring. He's obviously
more of a slugger than a boxer doing the manly art of self-defense thing. Whatever works. And it was enjoyable
to see Zachary Scott take that wheelchair ride into the street. It would have been even more enjoyable if
Jeffrey Lynn had got behind him and set him flying himself. Eve Arden as wittily sarcastic as usual--it makes
up for some of the awful hats she wears on occasion.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 29th, 2023, 4:33 pm
Hibi wrote: September 29th, 2023, 9:48 am
Very few neighbors make it out with just wounds. It's usually fatal. And though one party is
usually the clear aggressor, the other party often does things that make the whole situation
worse instead of just ignoring it.
Yeah, sometimes I can see both sides. Other times one person is the real nutcase. I see the debut is 2 HOURS LONG! This should be a good one! :D
Last edited by Hibi on October 2nd, 2023, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Whiplash was better than I expected. I'm not a Dane Clark fan and him falling in love after a half hr was NOT believable. But the rest was pretty good.I never realized what a shrimp Dane Clark was. Those skinny legs! The boxing parts weren't very good, but the rest held my attention. I'd never seen Alexis Smith looking so beautiful in a film before. Jeffrey Lynn was very good in his role. And Eddie was right about the ending! Worth waiting for! LOL.
Last edited by Hibi on October 2nd, 2023, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.