Discussion of programming on TCM.
Allhallowsday

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

Last night on TCM :

nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Her Sex and the Single Girl 1964 allure is my all time favorite Nathalie Wood ,at 26, she was at her ultimate best imo.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

kingrat wrote: September 30th, 2023, 10:55 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: September 30th, 2023, 9:50 pm Last night on TCM :

Yes! My husband and I love this film, and we enjoyed it again last night. This time I was noticing the excellent framing, editing, and the reaction shots by Darren McGavin and Melinda Dillon.

Confession of heresy: I would take this movie over It's a Wonderful Life any day.
Wow so interesting!
I dislike A Christmas Story and never warmed up to it. I find the charactors mean and belittling to each other, not funny.

That's not to say there wasn't cruelty in I'd A Wonderful Life, but it's mostly Mr Potter with the rest of the townspeople just a little misguided. I also think IAWL sends a clear message of love, acceptance & unity while ACS's message is not quite as positive.

Maybe ACS is a black comedy & I just didn't "get" it?
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: October 1st, 2023, 6:51 am ...
Wow so interesting!
I dislike A Christmas Story and never warmed up to it. I find the charactors mean and belittling to each other, not funny.

That's not to say there wasn't cruelty in I'd A Wonderful Life, but it's mostly Mr Potter with the rest of the townspeople just a little misguided. I also think IAWL sends a clear message of love, acceptance & unity ...
And that's why his films are called CAPRA CORN.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

TikiSoo wrote: October 1st, 2023, 6:51 amI dislike A Christmas Story and never warmed up to it. I find the charactors mean and belittling to each other, not funny.
Same here. You'd think that since the author, Jean Shepherd, grew up just a couple of miles from where I did, that it would appeal to me at least on some level. Nope. I even went to the same school as he did. The movie changed the locale to Cleveland - ironic in a way 'cause his childhood home was on Cleveland St, but in the Hessville section of Hammond, Indiana.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: October 1st, 2023, 1:31 pm
TikiSoo wrote: October 1st, 2023, 6:51 amI dislike A Christmas Story and never warmed up to it. I find the charactors mean and belittling to each other, not funny.
Same here. You'd think that since the author, Jean Shepherd, grew up just a couple of miles from where I did, that it would appeal to me at least on some level. Nope. I even went to the same school as he did. The movie changed the locale to Cleveland - ironic in a way 'cause his childhood home was on Cleveland St, but in the Hessville section of Hammond, Indiana.
The movie A CHRISTMAS STORY was filmed in Cleveland, but it is set in the fictitious Hohman, Indiana, substituting for author Jean Shepherd's hometown of Hammond, Indiana (which is part of the Chicago metropolitan area).

This movie is part of the winter holiday viewing for the sweetie and me.
We always look forward to the scene where Flick's tongue gets frozen stuck to the flagpole during recess after he's triple-dog dared and his classmates leave him (in their defense, the bell did ring).
Supposedly there's now a statue in Hammond of Flick with his tongue stuck to the flagpole.

"Come back! Don't leave me, come back!"
Last edited by HoldenIsHere on October 2nd, 2023, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 1st, 2023, 4:05 pm
dianedebuda wrote: October 1st, 2023, 1:31 pmThe movie changed the locale to Cleveland - ironic in a way 'cause his childhood home was on Cleveland St, but in the Hessville section of Hammond, Indiana.
The movie A CHRISTMAS STORY was filmed in Cleveland, but it is set in the fictitious Hohman, Indiana, substituting for author Jean Shepherd's hometown of Hammond, Indiana (which is part of the Chicago metropolitan area).
The fictitious town name came from Hohman Ave, one of the main streets in downtown Hammond. When I was growing up there in the 50s & 60s, downtown really was a busy place. Hessville, the eastern part of the city, was more small town like.
HoldenIsHere wrote: October 1st, 2023, 4:05 pmSupposedly there's now a statue in Hammond of Flick with his tongue stuck to the flagpole.
Couldn't prove it by me, but wouldn't be surprised. I moved away in the late 60s, before the steel mills closed and the economy there and Gary basically died. Funny, but I never heard of Shep until many years later.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

GOJIRA 1954 Shown last night as GODZILLA at TCM. They show it frequently, and I've seen the only worthwhile and original and that was it last night. In the entire franchise of Kaiju, this is an honest-to-goodness GREAT movie.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

kingrat wrote: September 30th, 2023, 10:55 pm ...Image

Yes! My husband and I love this film, and we enjoyed it again last night. This time I was noticing the excellent framing, editing, and the reaction shots by Darren McGavin and Melinda Dillon...
The first time I saw A CHRISTMAS STORY was shortly after it was new, on videotape. I saw much I remembered as a child in the '60s and '70s, but did not find it personally nostalgic and didn't like it. Years of TV broadcast later, I generally ignored it but first noticed MELINDA DILLON's reaction to DARREN McGAVIN explaining loading and use of the BB gun to Ralphie, and got hooked. The kids are perfect, but the parent performances just wonderful. Now, I love it.
Masha

Post by Masha »

A Woman of Distinction (1950)

A no-nonsense career woman who needs a man in the same manner that a fish needs a bicycle has a man thrown at her by a publicity agent.

This movie has all the ingredients for a truly tremendous bit of fluff. It is sad to say that they never blend into a treat. Some parts are under-done while others are quite appallingly over-done to a crisp.

Rosalind Russell and Ray Milland are perfect for an older-generation girl-catches-man-whom-she-was-not-chasing lighthearted romantic comedy. It is sad to say the script is quite heavy-handed, somewhat erratic and has all the subtlety of week-old roadkill. The direction was weak and inconsistent.

I very truly wished this was a glorious romp which would make me forget the world for a small while. I am very sad to say that it is such a muddy mess that it does not engender the slightest bit of enjoyment.

4.2/12

This movie is available for viewing for free with commercials on: TubiTV but I recommend it only to Rosalind Russell completists.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 1st, 2023, 4:05 pm Supposedly there's now a statue in Hammond of Flick with his tongue stuck to the flagpole.
I saw that! It's outside at the flag pole at a Welcome Center for tourism, believe it's in Indiana.
We'll be seeing The Christmas Story House while in Cleveland next week-even though I dislike the movie, MrTiki likes it.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

About an hour of THE X FROM OUTER SPACE (1967) :roll: :headbang: :smiley_chinrub: :yahoo: Bad, bad, bad. I think I could love this drek...

This is the theme music, which is Mexicali brass harp heavy Bossa Nova Sci-Fi silliness:

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE X FROM OUTER SPACE (1967)
I got to Mars. It''s blue. :headbang:
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

dianedebuda wrote: October 1st, 2023, 5:16 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: October 1st, 2023, 4:05 pm
dianedebuda wrote: October 1st, 2023, 1:31 pmThe movie changed the locale to Cleveland - ironic in a way 'cause his childhood home was on Cleveland St, but in the Hessville section of Hammond, Indiana.
The fictitious town name came from Hohman Ave, one of the main streets in downtown Hammond. When I was growing up there in the 50s & 60s, downtown really was a busy place. Hessville, the eastern part of the city, was more small town like.
HoldenIsHere wrote: October 1st, 2023, 4:05 pmSupposedly there's now a statue in Hammond of Flick with his tongue stuck to the flagpole.
Couldn't prove it by me, but wouldn't be surprised. I moved away in the late 60s, before the steel mills closed and the economy there and Gary basically died. Funny, but I never heard of Shep until many years later.
Did you go to Warren G Harding Elementary School?