SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
jamesjazzguitar

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: October 4th, 2023, 11:40 am Considering all D-Backs games are shown via my cable service here in Sedona, this Dodger fan here since childhood has become a bit of fan of theirs as well. Their defensive skills, evidenced by that rally killing catch and double play Evan Longoria made yesterday, not to mention all the spectacular catches I've seen Alex Thomas make in centerfield, the same made by sure-to-be Rookie of the Year Corbin Carroll, and the overall play of young catcher Gabriel Moreno, are the best in the game, and their bullpen has been pretty darn good since their month of August slide.

(...but of course IF they advance to play the Dodgers, I'll still be rootin' for the Boys in Blue)
Yea, I watched that game and the D-Backs are a well managed group of players, both young and experienced (like Longoria who I forgot was on the team, but he reminded me otherwise given his stellar play).

As another old-time Dodger fan, I can never get behind the Giants or Padres, but was mostly neutral about the D-Back. While I hope for a Dodgers \ D-Back series I'll be rooting for my Boys in Blue as well. (but I hope this current series goes all the way, to wear out the arms of the pitchers, since that is where the Dodgers are weakest. (2 quality starters with one old-man Kershaw).
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: October 4th, 2023, 11:40 am Considering all D-Backs games are shown via my cable service here in Sedona, this Dodger fan here since childhood has become a bit of fan of theirs as well. Their defensive skills, evidenced by that rally killing catch and double play Evan Longoria made yesterday, not to mention all the spectacular catches I've seen Alex Thomas make in centerfield, the same made by sure-to-be Rookie of the Year Corbin Carroll, and the overall play of young catcher Gabriel Moreno, are the best in the game, and their bullpen has been pretty darn good since their month of August slide.

(...but of course IF they advance to play the Dodgers, I'll still be rootin' for the Boys in Blue)
Well, if the Boys in Blue meet the Desert Rats in Arizona, them Boys in Blue better play better that they did against the clergy contingent of San Diego last year.

(...Sorry, couldn't resist.)

:smiley_innocent:
"Edith"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: October 4th, 2023, 1:18 pm

Well, if the Boys in Blue meet the Desert Rats in Arizona, them Boys in Blue better play better that they did against the clergy contingent of San Diego last year.

True, but if the D-Backs DO advance to meet the Dodgers, and while I know in a short 3-out-of-5 series anything can happen (and such as in your example), in the last few regular season seires these two teams played, those Boys in Blue pretty much annihilated those boys from the desert Southwest if you recall.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: October 4th, 2023, 2:08 pm
laffite wrote: October 4th, 2023, 1:18 pm

True, but if the D-Backs DO advance to meet the Dodgers, and while I know in a short 3-out-of-5 series anything can happen (and such as in your example), in the last few regular season seires these two teams played, those Boys in Blue pretty much annihilated those boys from the desert Southwest if you recall.
Hardly a satisfying revenge, though. It's not as if the Dodgers were singly responsible for preventing a playoff appearance by those Taco Boys in Southwest. They were an incredible flop this year, one of the most disappointing seasons ever for a team, having third highest payroll and let's face it a pretty good team on paper. They didn't execute. Of course, since I am a hatchet man I advocate firing the manager. Melvin has a solid career but a change is needed after the disastrous season. If they like to spend money, pay for a different manager. But they won't. San Diego franchises are like that. The Chargers held on to Norv Turner for years. When they do fire coaches they fire really good ones, like Schottenheimer. Too bad the Pads didn't have Bochy. With this team Bochy would have made the playoffs and at least challenged the Dodgers ... maybe. Gosh, Dargo, I didn't know you were a Dodger fan. You and James. But if I am right, you grew up in Los Angeles, what with your knowledge of LA lore, names like Dick Lane and Gil Stratton (not to mention The Fabulous 52), not exactly household names in the world at large.
"Edith"
Andree

Post by Andree »

My wish has already been granted--the damn Yankees didn't even come close. Losers. Next up-- get rid of
the damn Braves. Bonus--Panthers are 0-4. Bunch of boneheads. It's fun to watch the coach come up with
all kinds of bs excuses. Going to be fun to watch them go down the drain.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: October 4th, 2023, 4:29 pm My wish has already been granted--the damn Yankees didn't even come close. Losers. Next up-- get rid of
the damn Braves. Bonus--Panthers are 0-4. Bunch of boneheads. It's fun to watch the coach come up with
Who are the Panthers?
"Edith"
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: October 4th, 2023, 5:42 pm
Andree wrote: October 4th, 2023, 4:29 pm My wish has already been granted--the damn Yankees didn't even come close. Losers. Next up-- get rid of
Who are the Panthers?

The Carolina Panthers - An NFL team. Been in the NFL since 1995.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Who are the Panthers?

They are the "professional" NFL team from North Carolina.
jamesjazzguitar

Andree wrote: October 4th, 2023, 7:36 pm
Who are the Panthers?

They are the "professional" NFL team from North Carolina.
Do you mind telling me what are your favorite professional sports teams? It says your location is Balbec, and the only city I could find with a similar name was in Lebanon. I'm curious since over the years you have told us what team you dislike but I can't recall what teams you favor and typically people tend to favor the local teams.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No game three’s in the Wildcard round.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 4th, 2023, 7:27 pm
Who are the Panthers?

The Carolina Panthers - An NFL team. Been in the NFL since 1995.
I know that and I also know there is a Florida Panthers in the NHL, but I thought we were talking about baseball.
"Edith"
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 4th, 2023, 7:46 pm

Do you mind telling me what are your favorite professional sports teams? It says your location is Balbec, and the only city I could find with a similar name was in Lebanon. I'm curious since over the years you have told us what team you dislike but I can't recall what teams you favor and typically people tend to favor the local teams.
My bad. Balbec is not a real place, it's a fictional French seaside resort town. I'm not a basketball or hockey fan,
so no teams there. Baseball, I'm a Met's fan, though I'm not admitting it this season. I like The Pirates. Not being
a Californian, I like both the Dodgers and the Giants. A Dodgers-Orioles WS would be fun to see, like a trip back
in time. Football, I'm mostly a Steelers' fan, and Jets a bit. I'm neutral on the great majority of teams and I have
a few I like and a few I can't stand. I'm not originally from NC, so I have no loyalty to the Panthers. And all the
local coverage gets to be annoying. The last few QBs they've had are making Cam Newton look like a Hall of Famer.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: October 4th, 2023, 9:49 pm No game three’s in the Wildcard round.
Good! I hope for wall to wall sweeps. The fewer the games the better.
"Edith"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: October 4th, 2023, 10:16 pm ...A Dodgers-Orioles WS would be fun to see, like a trip back in time.
Yeah, specifically 1966. I remember it well! ;)

And yeah, that WOULD be pretty cool, but somethin's telling me the Braves will be the NL Champs this year. And especially so because of how they manhandled the Boys in Blue during their last visit to Dodger Stadium this year.

(...but of course, I hope I'm wrong about this)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: October 4th, 2023, 2:38 pm
...They were an incredible flop this year, one of the most disappointing seasons ever for a team, having third highest payroll and let's face it a pretty good team on paper. They didn't execute.
Whaddaya talkin' here, laffite???

So, the Dodgers had/have the third highest payroll this season AND they won the third highest number of games this season, RIGHT?!

And so what doesn't compute here, dude??? ;) LOL

And besides the idea that winning 100 games in a season couldn't exactly be considered a "flop" by anyone's standards, wouldn't ya really say?!

(...well that is IF ya weren't such a big Dave Roberts hater, anyway)