MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Dargo wrote: October 12th, 2023, 12:30 am

Is that the episode on YBYL where she gets into a debate with her fellow contestant (a rather large man as I recall) about the "quality" of the then new Rock & Roll music?

(...as I recall, the guy also burst out singing some more traditional song in order to "prove" his point)
I remember that episode, the song he sang was "The Golf Song", Groucho joined him on it.

The teenage girl was given equal time, she sang Elvis' "All Shook Up" with Groucho doing some of his wacky dance moves.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ha! No, unfortunately the film cut away to its next scene (with Elvis singing) after the cream cheese remark from Groucho.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wow, you guys have great memories!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Anyone watching Ben and Mario Cantone on Creepy Cinema this month?

One thing I noticed was Cantone does an awful Bette Davis impression, he seems to be doing Bette after her 1983 stroke.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Can't get any creepier than Mitchum in CAPE FEAR, with NIGHT OF THE HUNTER close behind.

One thing that always bothers me about CF -- I guess it would be called the BIAM (because it's a movie) factor -- little Lori sees slimy Bob staring at her in the neighborhood but what does she do? Not the sensible thing like running down the street where groups of people are and yelling for a cop. No, she hightails it into her EMPTY school building, trying to "hide". This is supposed to provide "suspense".
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I used to get these three actresses mixed up: Sally Forrest, Mona Freeman and Mala Powers.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 13th, 2023, 9:57 am Anyone watching Ben and Mario Cantone on Creepy Cinema this month?

One thing I noticed was Cantone does an awful Bette Davis impression, he seems to be doing Bette after her 1983 stroke.
No. I find Mario Cantone incredibly obnoxious.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Absolutely ! totally agree with you Fedya I ff the intro now
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 13th, 2023, 9:57 am Anyone watching Ben and Mario Cantone on Creepy Cinema this month?

Mario Cantone introduced The Old Maid at the 2023 TCM Film Festival.
The Bette Davis impression he did there was definitely post-stroke Davis with a reference to working with "Miss Dunaway."

I enjoy Mario Cantone's commentary because it's obvious he's seen the movies being discussed many times and that he truly loves the movies. He talks about things that only someone who has seen a lot of movies from all eras would.

His comments on Shadow Of A Doubt and Dressed To Kill were excellent.
I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte .
I hope he talks about Bette Davis's scene on the stairs and the scene in the car with Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Speaking of intros, all I can say is "so much misinformation, so little time".

GASLIGHT: "....and with a 17 year old Angela Lansbury" No, she was actually 19.

EXPERIMENT PERILOUS: "Victorian era" No, the story is set in 1903. That's Edwardian. "Hedy Lamarr was previously at her home studio Warner Bros. before making this RKO film" No. She had a contract with Metro until 1945. EXPERIMENT PERILOUS was made in 1944.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 7:23 pm Speaking of intros, all I can say is "so much misinformation, so little time".

EXPERIMENT PERILOUS: "Victorian era" No, the story is set in 1903. That's Edwardian. "Hedy Lamarr was previously at her home studio Warner Bros. before making this RKO film" No. She had a contract with Metro until 1945. EXPERIMENT PERILOUS was made in 1944.
LOL!!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

A little Mario goes a long way! I don't really care for many of his choices. None of these picks are what I'd call Halloween type horror movies! Not that I don't mind rewatching some of them. But they don't really fit that theme.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: October 14th, 2023, 2:16 pm

Mario Cantone introduced The Old Maid at the 2023 TCM Film Festival.
The Bette Davis impression he did there was definitely post-stroke Davis with a reference to working with "Miss Dunaway."

I enjoy Mario Cantone's commentary because it's obvious he's seen the movies being discussed many times and that he truly loves the movies. He talks about things that only someone who has seen a lot of movies from all eras would.

His comments on Shadow Of A Doubt and Dressed To Kill were excellent.
I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte .
I hope he talks about Bette Davis's scene on the stairs and the scene in the car with Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland.

Bette called off the day of the face slap and Livvy had to slap her stand in! Guess Bette couldn't stand the idea of Olivia slapping her. Now if only Joan Crawford had stayed in the film!!! Payback for all that kicking in Baby Jane!
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Maybe they could have brought in Miriam Hopkins to shake Bette.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: October 16th, 2023, 12:04 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 7:23 pm Speaking of intros, all I can say is "so much misinformation, so little time".

LOL!!!!

I fear Dargo will come after me with "Still nit-picking with Mank, eh?"

Believe me I'm really not -- it is just that those poorly researched gaffes bother me. no matter which host.