Follow Thru - on the big screen

Jezebel38

Follow Thru - on the big screen

Post by Jezebel38 »

Hi gang - well, I just recently saw this little "gem" on the big screen at the Stanford Theatre and am almost at a loss for words to describe the experience - I'm glad I saw it, but having experienced it once, have no need to endure it again (like Wagner). I was so curious to see it, as there was a little clip of it featured in the documentary Broadway: The Amercian Musical. Firstly, I found the 2 strip technocolor to be amazing on the print that was shown - and on the big screen, you could really see such detail, especially on the costumes, skin tones and such. Nancy Carroll's red hair, blue eyes really stood out, and you could practically count the freckles on her arms. And Thelma Todd's porcelain blonde glamor, Jack Haley's sparkling blue eyes, and Buddy Rogers pretty boy beauty really shown here, even behind the heavy lipstick.

But, oh my, is this a dated museum piece - I found it interesting on a historical basis to see what was considered to be typical 1920's musical hokum - did people really sit through this inanity prior to Show Boat? A couple cute tunes, but the warbling of Rogers and Carroll, the clod-hopping hoofing, the "gay" antics of Haley, and Eugene Pallette in drag - and the big production number of I Want to be Bad - jaw dropping entertainment. Anyways, I did want to attend this as a loyal supporter of my local retro theatre, and to check another title off my precode list.

BTW - I have not yet seen Golden Dawn.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Eugene Pallette in drag? Words fail me...
Moraldo Rubini

Stanford Theatre

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Wow! I wish I'd been there to check it off my list too! It's both wonderful and excrutiating at the same time. Thanks for the report. I've really grown to love the Stanford Theatre.
Moraldo Rubini

Stanford Theatre

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Wow! I wish I'd been there to check it off my list too! It's both wonderful and excrutiating at the same time. Thanks for the report. I've really grown to love the Stanford Theatre.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Jezebel,

I got this film from a foreign private collector and watched it some months ago. The print is rather poor and the two-strip technicolor rather washed out, but still I could enjoy it as an "historical" document. I felt quite the same as you regarding the film itself, but I'd loved to have seen a fine print on the big screen. You are lucky to have the Stanford Theatre.
benwhowell

Lost treasures...

Post by benwhowell »

I'd love to see "Follow Thru" and, especially, "Golden Dawn." (The "Blazing Saddles" of it's day?)
Another one on my list is "Howdy, Broadway-"from the "multi-talented" Charles J. Hunt.
Has anyone seen this?
EleanorPowellFan

Follow Thru

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

Eleanor Powell was in the original production of Follow Thru.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I have a copy of this film and while the color is terrific, the print itself is lousy. I'd love to see a good crisp print of this one.

And Nancy Carroll had green eyes, not blue.