Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 11:44 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:17 am Yeah. B.D. wrote her own tell-all book after Bette died, "My Mother's Keeper" I think was the title.

Yes, I read that, B.D. seemed to think it would be turn Bette into a monster like Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest but it just made Bette look like a cranky old broad. One of the things she complained about was at a party, Bette served cold cuts (oh the horror!)
Yeah, it was mostly Bette being Bette. Drinking; Cussing; Overbearing; The Mother In Law from Hell. About what you'd expect! (Considering how Bette supported them throughout her life you'd think Bette would have a reason for her meddling, but B.D. didn't mention that!) Then to have the book come out when Bette was sick from cancer.......
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: October 22nd, 2023, 4:45 pm Eddie Muller gets the Crap Award for the most egregious selection ever for a Noir Alley production. The movie---Casque D'or---is not crap but if one is a frequenter of Noir Alley there is a mental set one haves when tuning that is completely shattered when confronted with some disparate or random and quixotic selection like this.

Mind you, I don't expect Mr Muller to convert to a French person and speak impeccable French and thereby he heralded as hero by the L'Academie Francais (a relentlessness language watchdog group that has been protecting the French language for centuries think: Taliban) but simply possess the natural rough-and-ready way that normal American speakers do when speaking easy French words and phrases.

Here is what Muller said: cask DEE or .

This is correct: cask dor

This is very easy for a non-French speaker. Mr Eddie comes off as an dolt because for an expert as an sophisticated film reviewer and host of a TV show he ought not commit errors like this.

LOL! I thought I heard Dior also and thought of the fashion house! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I had seen the film on TCM before but couldn't remember a lot about it. I almost passed on it this time, but I'm glad I watched it. Forgot how good it was. Noir or not!
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

If you say KASK DOOR it will be fine
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

nakanosunplaza wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 11:31 am If you say KASK DOOR it will be fine
:D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:17 am Yeah. B.D. wrote her own tell-all book after Bette died, "My Mother's Keeper" I think was the title.

Actually it came out while Bette was alive! Published on Mother's Day yet!
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw it a couple of years ago, probably on TCM. Nice pictorial style and an interesting look at the underworld
of turn of the century France. The romantic idyll of Marie and Manda in the countryside looks like it could come
from a Renoir flick. It certainly lacks the harsh shadowy photography of your typical noir film and the French
criminals of the period are different from their 1940s American counterparts. Horse drawn carriages just don't
make it. But despite all that it is very well done. I found Manda to be a bit on the bland side. We don't know much
about him and he seems to be more of a counterpart to the gang of bad guys than an individual person, but that's
a minor point. My French is pretty rusty but even I noticed the dee or mistake. Eduard seemed to do okay with
the multisyllable tongue twisters, but he couldn't get the simple d'or right. It's a vowel man.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 4:34 pm I saw it a couple of years ago, probably on TCM. Nice pictorial style and an interesting look at the underworld
of turn of the century France. The romantic idyll of Marie and Manda in the countryside looks like it could come
from a Renoir flick. It certainly lacks the harsh shadowy photography of your typical noir film and the French
criminals of the period are different from their 1940s American counterparts. Horse drawn carriages just don't
make it. But despite all that it is very well done. I found Manda to be a bit on the bland side. We don't know much
about him and he seems to be more of a counterpart to the gang of bad guys than an individual person, but that's
a minor point. My French is pretty rusty but even I noticed the dee or mistake. Eduard seemed to do okay with
the multisyllable tongue twisters, but he couldn't get the simple d'or right. It's a vowel man.
Did you watch FTN last night?? That episode really made me angry. What a nutcase and hypocrite!!!!!!! A man of GOD?????
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: October 24th, 2023, 8:52 am

Did you watch FTN last night?? That episode really made me angry. What a nutcase and hypocrite!!!!!!! A man of GOD?????
Yes. I guess he was absent on the day they taught Thou shall not kill and turn the other cheek in seminary.
And then he had the nerve to plead self-defense because he needed to protect his daughter from...something.
He didn't even get a life sentence with no possibility of parole, but one that was pretty long so he very well
might die in prison. I'm pretty sure this guy had more than a few screws loose.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I would've voted for the death penalty! Wonder what his flock thought of it? AOK? The Lord's Will! LOL. In front of his daughter yet. Just unbelievable.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: October 24th, 2023, 5:09 pm I would've voted for the death penalty! Wonder what his flock thought of it? AOK? The Lord's Will! LOL. In front of his daughter yet. Just unbelievable.
Pretty sad. Maybe he was one of these persons who can be normal and even friendly in his official
capacity and totally different in his private life. At least he'll likely be in prison for the rest of his life.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:58 pm
Hibi wrote: October 24th, 2023, 5:09 pm I would've voted for the death penalty! Wonder what his flock thought of it? AOK? The Lord's Will! LOL. In front of his daughter yet. Just unbelievable.
Pretty sad. Maybe he was one of these persons who can be normal and even friendly in his official
capacity and totally different in his private life. At least he'll likely be in prison for the rest of his life.
Maybe he can earn brownie points by being a prison chaplain while in there?
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: October 25th, 2023, 11:50 am
Probably better than another way of earning brownie points, though he doesn't seem very knowledgeable
about the basics of Christianity.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: October 25th, 2023, 4:48 pm
Hibi wrote: October 25th, 2023, 11:50 am
Probably better than another way of earning brownie points, though he doesn't seem very knowledgeable
about the basics of Christianity.

LOL!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Hibi wrote: October 24th, 2023, 8:52 am

FTN? Find The Noir?