MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Swithin »

It was all that Folger's that contributed to her longevity!

Btw, speaking of The Mummy's Curse, I think the death of Tante Berthe (brilliantly played by Ann Codee) at the top of the film, after singing that song, is one of the great tragedies in all moviedom.

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:50 am I turn 2,000 years old tomorrow, like Virginia Christine in THE MUMMY'S CURSE.

Still, many people have been telling me I don't look a day over 1,999.
This reminds me of the episode of BEWITCHED where Darrin's mother meets Serena for the first time and is fishing for Endora's age.
Serena's response: "She admits to a thousand."
This is the fifth season episode "Mrs. Stephens, Where Are You?" where Serena transforms Mrs. Stephens into a cat.
Samantha has to come to the rescue when her mother-in-law is taken in by Morning Glory Circle's resident cat mama.
(The bell around Mrs. Stephens's neck is to warn the birds . . .)

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 21st, 2023, 1:05 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:50 am I turn 2,000 years old tomorrow, like Virginia Christine in THE MUMMY'S CURSE.

This reminds me of the episode of BEWITCHED where Darrin's mother meets Serena for the first time and is fishing for Endora's age.
This is the fifth season episode "Mrs. Stephens, Where Are You?" where Serena transforms Mrs. Stephens into a cat.
Samantha has to come to the rescue when her mother-in-law is taken in by Morning Glory Circle's resident cat mama.

Looks like the neighborhood cat lady is squatting in Shirley Partridge's house (for the interior shots). IIRC (haven't seen this episode in a few years), the exterior of the cat lady's home was next door to 1164, which was Hazel's - I mean the Baxter's - house.

Sadly, the last of the old Columbia Ranch Blondie Street, including 1164 Morning Glory Circle, have finally been razed. Just happened a few weeks ago. The Partridge house exterior, however, was destroyed months ago as part of a plot device on Young Sheldon. It served as the exterior of MeeMaw's (Annie Potts) house.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: October 21st, 2023, 12:27 pm It was all that Folger's that contributed to her longevity!

Btw, speaking of The Mummy's Curse, I think the death of Tante Berthe (brilliantly played by Ann Codee) at the top of the film, after singing that song, is one of the great tragedies in all moviedom.

"Hey you!"

Cajun Joe: "Poor Tante Berthe, she's-a dead, and the girl, she's-a gone"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 21st, 2023, 1:05 pm

I remember all those great episodes because Bewitched was my favorite sitcom! Maurice Evans was so enjoyable as the father. Who can forget the episode where they're discussing names for Darrin and Sam's second child -- Maurice says: "I've always been fond of Adam" then, noting a look of shock on Darrin's face, adds: "Not THAT Adam" So I guess witches and warlocks aren't exactly timeless, lol.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: October 21st, 2023, 2:22 pm Sadly, the last of the old Columbia Ranch Blondie Street, including 1164 Morning Glory Circle, have finally been razed. Just happened a few weeks ago.
Haha I just saw 1164 Morning Glory Circle on Svengoolie in the movie Kolchak The Night Stalker '74
It was a great crane shot from above and that house was brightly lit!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

MARNIE: "Hitchcock considered Marilyn Monroe for the title role" But she was already dead two years (1962) unless he was thinking about casting choices a few years before this movie was made in 1964.

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR: "Gene Tierney continued to have a good career after 1947" Gene is one of my favorite actresses but imho this is not true -- her best roles and performances were unfortunately behind her after 1947, athough she gives a wonderful and largely underrated effort in 1955's THE EGYPTIAN.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 1:50 pm MARNIE: "Hitchcock considered Marilyn Monroe for the title role" But she was already dead two years (1962) unless he was thinking about casting choices a few years before this movie was made in 1964.
He started pre-production in 1961 shortly after the novel was published. Princess Grace was originally cast, but dropped out due to backlash from her subjects in Monaco. According to Wikipedia, it was Monroe who pursued the role after Grace Kelly dropped out, in 1962. Hitchcock is on record as stating it's "an interesting idea."

The source for this is a Variety article:

https://variety.com/2015/film/news/mari ... 201553652/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 1:50 pm MARNIE: "Hitchcock considered Marilyn Monroe for the title role" But she was already dead two years (1962) unless he was thinking about casting choices a few years before this movie was made in 1964.

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR: "Gene Tierney continued to have a good career after 1947" Gene is one of my favorite actresses but imho this is not true -- her best roles and performances were unfortunately behind her after 1947, athough she gives a wonderful and largely underrated effort in 1955's THE EGYPTIAN.
I noticed that too! LOL. Plus Hitch would have never put up with MM's tardiness and calling off. She wouldnt have made it through the first week. I highly doubt she was ever considered (aside from her being DOA!)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 1:50 pm
The Egyptian is one of my favorite films. Gene Tierney does indeed give a wonderful performance as Baketamon. All of the women in the film are great, but the star that shines brightest is this one, who also doesn't get enough credit for her performance:

(Here's a little quiz for you Bronxie: Who in The Egyptian has a non-speaking part in one of Hitchcock's greatest films?)

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Oh, I dunno about that, Bronxie.

I think she with the sexiest overbite in all of Hollywood history was ALSO very good in the 1950 noirs 'Night and the City' and 'Where the Sidewalk Ends', and the 1951 western 'The Secret of Convict Lake', as well.

(...btw, I remember my dearly departed adoptive mother who due to the Rh Factor suffered through two still births during the late-1940s, once telling me she always had a tough time ever liking Gene Tierney in any movie ever again and after she watched her purposely fall down those stairs in 'Leave Her to Heaven' in order to elicit a miscarriage in that movie...oh the things we remember, eh?!)
Last edited by Dargo on October 24th, 2023, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: October 24th, 2023, 12:19 am
Oh, I dunno about that, Bronxie.

I think she with the sexiest overbite in all of Hollywood history was ALSO very good in the 1950 noirs 'Night and the City' and 'Where the Sidewalk Ends', and the 1951 western 'The Secret of Convict Lake', as well.

(...btw, I remember my dearly departed adoptive mother who due to the Rh Factor suffered through two still births during the late-1940s, once telling me she always had a tough time ever liking Gene Tierney in any movie ever again and after she watched her purposely fall down those steps in 'Leave Her to Heaven' in order to elicit a miscarriage in that movie...oh the things we remember, eh?!)
I agree with you. Some of Tierney's best films and performances were post-Laura. In some of her early films her acting was rather weak.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

txfilmfan wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 2:20 pm
He started pre-production in 1961 shortly after the novel was published. Princess Grace was originally cast, but dropped out due to backlash from her subjects in Monaco. According to Wikipedia, it was Monroe who pursued the role after Grace Kelly dropped out, in 1962. Hitchcock is on record as stating it's "an interesting idea."

The thing I'm having trouble imagining is Paula Strasberg's presence on the set. Hitchcock's head would explode probably. But, otherwise, Marilyn was sort of the ultimate blonde "Girl", so I can see why he would have at least thought it was an interesting idea. It might seem wrong-headed and counter-intuitive to use Marilyn as a character who worked unnoticed at a company for months before she cleaned out the safe. But there are stories about Marilyn going unnoticed in public until she asked her companion if they'd like to see "her" and almost instantly transformed, bringing people around them running. But Hibi's right about the tardiness, which would be a no-go with him.
Just taking a moment here to reintroduce myself. It's taken me all this time to register here, though admittedly I gave up for a long stretch. But as Bronxie's birthday approached I renewed my efforts. Unfortunately, birthday greetings are now past due, but I at least gravitated to your thread first, Miss B. I used to be DougieB on the TCM boards, with the Nowhere Man avatar, but that label only applied to me for a brief time in my life, so voila!..a new moniker, but same old borderline dullard. (I'm saying it so nobody has to.) I'll probably stick my nose into community affairs here occasionally. I'll introduce myself in the new members thread but I just wanted to say Hi to some of those I remember well here first because Bronxie's digs always were the most welcoming of places.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I Love Melvin wrote: October 24th, 2023, 6:28 pm

The thing I'm having trouble imagining is Paula Strasberg's presence on the set. Hitchcock's head would explode probably. But, otherwise, Marilyn was sort of the ultimate blonde "Girl", so I can see why he would have at least thought it was an interesting idea. It might seem wrong-headed and counter-intuitive to use Marilyn as a character who worked unnoticed at a company for months before she cleaned out the safe. But there are stories about Marilyn going unnoticed in public until she asked her companion if they'd like to see "her" and almost instantly transformed, bringing people around them running. But Hibi's right about the tardiness, which would be a no-go with him.
Just taking a moment here to reintroduce myself. It's taken me all this time to register here, though admittedly I gave up for a long stretch. But as Bronxie's birthday approached I renewed my efforts. Unfortunately, birthday greetings are now past due, but I at least gravitated to your thread first, Miss B. I used to be DougieB on the TCM boards, with the Nowhere Man avatar, but that label only applied to me for a brief time in my life, so voila!..a new moniker, but same old borderline dullard. (I'm saying it so nobody has to.) I'll probably stick my nose into community affairs here occasionally. I'll introduce myself in the new members thread but I just wanted to say Hi to some of those I remember well here first because Bronxie's digs always were the most welcoming of places.

I'd forgotten all about Paula! That would've been a deal breaker. A control freak like Hitch would've banned her from the set! LOL.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thank you txfilmfan for this critical info!