MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
I Love Melvin

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by I Love Melvin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:17 pm Pondering: Why didn't Jimmy Stewart have a fan in REAR WINDOW? It was certainly hot enough in that apartment and I am not talking about Grace Kelly, lol. I'm guessing Hitchcock thought it would be more suspenseful for the audience if they sweated along with Jeff.
Good point. We see into all the apartments and it doesn't seem like any of the others have fans either, maybe because a fan could potentially block Jeff's (and our) line of vision as he snoops. The ones who might be working up the biggest sweat are the newlyweds but we don't get to see inside to find out. ;) It's odd because the presence of a fan would actually be a reminder of how hot it is, but you're probably right that the actual sweat was important to Hitchcock, who seemed always to thrive on his characters' discomfort. Let's not forget he's the one who scared people away from showering.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 6:13 pm Holden, I know what you mean about Dennis Franz's native Chicago accent. Never attempts to sound like he's from anywhere else in every role I've yet seen him in. A good actor though. AMERICAN BUFFALO plays a lot on ScreenPix and Franz is terrific teamed up with Dustin Hoffman.

I agree that Dennis Franz is a very good actor.
He brought so many shades to the Andy Sipowicz character on NYPD BLUE.
That show had great acting -- and writing --- across the board.

AMERICAN BUFFALO is set in Chicago (or at least David Mamet's play from which the movie was adapted was set there) so Franz's Chicago accent is appropriate.
Full Disclosure: I am not a fan of David Mamet's writing. Being from the Chicago area, that is almost blasphemous.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

When I watched HUSH . . . HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE again recently (probably my fifth viewing of the entire movie), as usual I was amused by the photos of Bette Davis that were used for the photos of young Charlotte Hollis that appeared on the front pages of the local newspaper with the stories covering John Mayhew's murder in 1927.

The photo accompanying the "Gruesome Mutilation Murder" headline from the May 3, 1927 issue of the HOLLISPORT NEWS is one of a blonde Bette Davis.
(There's also an old photo of Olivia de Havilland used for Miriam Dearing, Charlotte's "up-north" cousin who was living in the Hollis home at the time of the murder.)

For the following day's issue, the front page headline was "Socialite Love Triangle Bared," and a photo of darker haired Bette Davis was used --- a much more flattering photo (in my opinion) than one accompanying the earlier headline.
(There's also an old photo of Mary Astor used for Jewel Mayhew, the wife of the murdered man who was having an affair with Charlotte.)

speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 4th, 2023, 2:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 4th, 2023, 2:32 pm Rita did have a sad life, much like Helen Walker.

Don't forget her ultimate Other Woman role in THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR.
I can't think of her role in THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR without hearing "beguiling" in my head.
Yes. I see Rita Johnson, I think "beguiling." It's like she learned a new word and had to use it whenever she could.

"So much beguiling love." (I know that was Ginger impersonating her, but it was still funny).
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Holden, great observations on all those photos in HHSC! Bette, Livvy and Mary are so good in this movie, one of my favorites. Oh, and of course Agnes stealing (or trying to) every scene, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My favorite Bette Davis lines in CHARLOTTE:

"Luke Standish, you smirkin' Judas!"

"You're a vile, sorry little b****!"

"You're in public relations? Sounds like somethin' DIRTY to me!"
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I like when Olivia de Havilland slaps Bette Davis and says "Damn you! Now, will you shut your mouth?" If she saw it, I'm sure Miriam Hopkins loved that scene.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

speedracer5 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 5:35 pm I like when Olivia de Havilland slaps Bette Davis and says "Damn you! Now, will you shut your mouth?" If she saw it, I'm sure Miriam Hopkins loved that scene.

Yeah, that's a good one too!

Agree about Hopkins, lol. I think one of the reasons Bette liked Olivia is that de Havilland never stole one of her lovers, at least none we know about.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

THE FOUNTAINHEAD -- one of the great bad films! (but unfortunately not one to love) Laughably pretentious and stylized. Every scene is hilarious. And girls, seriously, what woman would willingly marry Raymond Massey with GARY COOPER and his drill hanging around??

I'm generally a fan of Roman Polanski but can never make heads or tails out of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS. Jack Macgowran is always marvelous and Roman is cute and funny as his bumbling assistant but I swear that half the characters acted like villagers from a horror movie version of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, lol. Very discombobulating!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 1:22 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 6:13 pm Holden, I know what you mean about Dennis Franz's native Chicago accent. Never attempts to sound like he's from anywhere else in every role I've yet seen him in. A good actor though. AMERICAN BUFFALO plays a lot on ScreenPix and Franz is terrific teamed up with Dustin Hoffman.

I agree that Dennis Franz is a very good actor.
He brought so many shades to the Andy Sipowicz character on NYPD BLUE.
That show had great acting -- and writing --- across the board.

AMERICAN BUFFALO is set in Chicago (or at least David Mamet's play from which the movie was adapted was set there) so Franz's Chicago accent is appropriate.
Full Disclosure: I am not a fan of David Mamet's writing. Being from the Chicago area, that is almost blasphemous.

I was sort of shocked to read the closing credits of AMERICAN BUFFALO -- it was filmed in Rhode Island of all places.

It's ok about Mamet -- he's an acquired taste to be sure, lol. I like his writing but listening to him in personal interviews is a little weird. (I'm still trying to figure out what AMERICAN BUFFALO is really about) I lived in Chicago for ten years -- great city, I love it! Miss it...Every time I hear the song Lake Shore Drive (on YouTube) I burst out crying. Had some wonderful times there...
Andree

Post by Andree »

I hadn't seen TFVK in ages before it was on a couple of nights ago. I didn't find it very interesting the
first time around and it hasn't improved with age. It's kind of out there in no man's land--it's not that
funny and it's not very scary either, so there's not much to hold onto. There are some good old vampire
visuals and the ending is somewhat exciting, but it's not a movie I'd want to see very often. I think Monty
Python would have done a better job, though they would probably have gone over the top on the satire
and flunked the scary test.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 5:39 pm
speedracer5 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 5:35 pm I like when Olivia de Havilland slaps Bette Davis and says "Damn you! Now, will you shut your mouth?" If she saw it, I'm sure Miriam Hopkins loved that scene.

Yeah, that's a good one too!

Agree about Hopkins, lol. I think one of the reasons Bette liked Olivia is that de Havilland never stole one of her lovers, at least none we know about.
Was it Miriam that stole Bette's lover? I thought Bette was sleeping with her husband! Hmm...

Didn't the whole Bette/Joan feud start because Bette was in love with Franchot Tone during "Dangerous" and Joan married him to spite her?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 5:10 pm My favorite Bette Davis lines in CHARLOTTE:

"Luke Standish, you smirkin' Judas!"

"You're a vile, sorry little b****!"

"You're in public relations? Sounds like somethin' DIRTY to me!"
Don't forget the BIG one! : What Did You Think I Asked You Here For? COMPANY???? (might have a few words wrong)

Oh, and another one! From Where I'm Standing, I Could Spit In Your Eye! (or words to that effect)
Last edited by Hibi on November 6th, 2023, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 5:44 pm THE FOUNTAINHEAD -- one of the great bad films! (but unfortunately not one to love) Laughably pretentious and stylized. Every scene is hilarious. And girls, seriously, what woman would willingly marry Raymond Massey with GARY COOPER and his drill hanging around??

I'm generally a fan of Roman Polanski but can never make heads or tails out of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS. Jack Macgowran is always marvelous and Roman is cute and funny as his bumbling assistant but I swear that half the characters acted like villagers from a horror movie version of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, lol. Very discombobulating!
I think my favorite scene is a short one: Patricia Neal throwing a statue out a window, because it was perfect! About sums up the the movie.
Last edited by Hibi on November 6th, 2023, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.