SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:02 am Well at least the cheating Houston Astros are out.

If AZ beats Philly in game 7, that would be something.
If rookie starter Brandon Pfaadt can continue to not throw dingers tonight and as he was wont to do earlier in the season, I think the D-backs have a very good chance to win.

And yep, I LOVED that the Rangers blew out those cheatin' Astros last night as well.

(...and like any good Dodger fan would, of course) ;)
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw a funny photo on another website--A Rangers' fan with a sign saying I had a better sign, but the Astros stole it.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: October 24th, 2023, 11:47 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:02 am
If rookie starter Brandon Pfaadt can continue to not throw dingers tonight and as he was wont to do earlier in the season, I think the D-backs have a very good chance to win.
Well, I hate to quote myself here ;) , BUT it looks like I called it, huh!

With the help, of course, of a surprisingly good D-back's bullpen that kept the Philly's big three to only 1 hit in their last 21 AB's. And, with Trea Turner's impatience at the plate in the later innings once again showing up, and just like it did when he was wearing Dodger Blue in last year's post-season.

But then again, NO ONE was going to get a hit off the D-back's Kevin Ginkel who was once again lights-out and who is unquestionably their best reliever.

(...closer Paul Sewald even surprised me, as he can be quite the "high-wire act" sometimes...I've watched the guy go 0-2 on a batter and then suddenly lose his release point and end up giving up a walk on more than a few occasions during the season)
laffite

Post by laffite »

I'm old school. I would have left Ginkel in for the ninth. But that's not how not it is done these days. If you have a closer you have to use him or risk push back by not doing so. If you leave Ginkel in and he fails you face being called out. Ginkel had struck out his last five batters but those batters admittedly looked like fools for swinging at bad pitches.

It is probably especially galling for the Dodgers to see Arizona in the World Series. The Blue was demonstrably better that their Division rival during the regular season. The question is now can the 84-78 D defeat Texas? The answer is easy. Yes, of course. The regular season matters not.
"Desire" (1936)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: October 24th, 2023, 11:13 pm
Dargo wrote: October 24th, 2023, 11:47 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:02 am
Well, I hate to quote myself here ;) , BUT it looks like I called it, huh!

With the help, of course, of a surprisingly good D-back's bullpen that kept the Philly's big three to only 1 hit in their last 21 AB's. And, with Trea Turner's impatience at the plate in the later innings once again showing up, and just like it did when he was wearing Dodger Blue in last year's post-season.

But then again, NO ONE was going to get a hit off the D-back's Kevin Ginkel who was once again lights-out and who is unquestionably their best reliever.

(...closer Paul Sewald even surprised me, as he can be quite the "high-wire act" sometimes...I've watched the guy go 0-2 on a batter and then suddenly lose his release point and end up giving up a walk on more than a few occasions during the season)
Yea, what a comeback by the D-Backs. Now that the NBA has started, I'm not sure I'll watch many World Series games, and I can't pull for either team since, well one is in Texas, and the other is in the same division as the Dodgers.
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: October 25th, 2023, 12:46 am I'm old school. I would have left Ginkel in for the ninth. But that's not how not it is done these days. If you have a closer you have to use him or risk push back by not doing so. If you leave Ginkel in and he fails you face being called out. Ginkel had struck out his last five batters but those batters admittedly looked like fools for swinging at bad pitches.

It is probably especially galling for the Dodgers to see Arizona in the World Series. The Blue was demonstrably better that their Division rival during the regular season. The question is now can the 84-78 D defeat Texas? The answer is easy. Yes, of course. The regular season matters not.
The Giants have signed Melvin as their manager. The Padres will be looking for another manager. Hopefully they will sign Dave Roberts!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Well, no phantom runner on second in extra innings in WS .
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 25th, 2023, 10:56 am
laffite wrote: October 25th, 2023, 12:46 am I'm old school. I would have left Ginkel in for the ninth. But that's not how not it is done these days. If you have a closer you have to use him or risk push back by not doing so. If you leave Ginkel in and he fails you face being called out. Ginkel had struck out his last five batters but those batters admittedly looked like fools for swinging at bad pitches.

The Giants have signed Melvin as their manager. The Padres will be looking for another manager. Hopefully they will sign Dave Roberts!
I didn't know that about Melvin. Of course you jest regarding Roberts, I think the Dodgers have already given out that he was to return. Let him stay there. I would not wish Roberts to any team. Certainly not the Padres. I wish there were manages left who are old and crusty and a real son of a b**** that is not afraid to talk their batters. Bob Melvin is a pussy like most of them. Thank you Bob for a miserable season. I hope too that Mattingly is not available.
"Desire" (1936)
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: October 28th, 2023, 12:10 am

I didn't know that about Melvin. Of course you jest regarding Roberts, I think the Dodgers have already given out that he was to return. Let him stay there. I would not wish Roberts to any team. Certainly not the Padres. I wish there were manages left who are old and crusty and a real son of a b**** that is not afraid to talk their batters. Bob Melvin is a pussy like most of them. Thank you Bob for a miserable season. I hope too that Mattingly is not available.
Mattingly is available and with Bochy coming out of retirement and getting the Rangers into the World Series, I can see teams being interested in 69 year old Don.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 28th, 2023, 11:31 am

Mattingly is available and with Bochy coming out of retirement and getting the Rangers into the World Series, I can see teams being interested in 69 year old Don.
I would welcome Bochy back to the Padres but I don't think it will happen. Why would he leave a winning team, the Rangers? And yet being an elder, that might not matter so much. It would be an interesting challenge for him, to see what he could do with a team like the Padres, who have a pretty good roster. He has already proven himself in San Francisco, Texas, and now the Padres, maybe. I hope it happens.
"Desire" (1936)
jamesjazzguitar

laffite wrote: October 28th, 2023, 3:34 pm

I would welcome Bochy back to the Padres but I don't think it will happen. Why would he leave a winning team, the Rangers? And yet being an elder, that might not matter so much. It would be an interesting challenge for him, to see what he could do with a team like the Padres, who have a pretty good roster. He has already proven himself in San Francisco, Texas, and now the Padres, maybe. I hope it happens.
I didn't say Bochy was going to leave the Rangers. I mentioned Bochy as an old-school manager that came back and took a team to the World Series.
Mattingly is from the same generation as Bochy and such old-school former managers are now of interest due to what Bochy was able to do.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 28th, 2023, 4:51 pm
laffite wrote: October 28th, 2023, 3:34 pm

I didn't say Bochy was going to leave the Rangers. I mentioned Bochy as an old-school manager that came back and took a team to the World Series.
Mattingly is from the same generation as Bochy and such old-school former managers are now of interest due to what Bochy was able to do.
You said "coming out of retirement" which I mistook for Bochy leaving the Rangers after the end of this season. My bad. Too bad, then there is no hope for Bochy and the Padres. Any names popping up to take over the Pads? I haven't had time to look into this, just asking anyway, no need to reply.
"Desire" (1936)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Bochy and Mike Maddux make a very good team. I just love the way Maddux puts is hand on the pitcher’s shoulder when he visits the mound. He never puts his hand on the pitching shoulder, always the other one.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Corey Seager — ice water in his veins.
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: November 1st, 2023, 10:34 pm Corey Seager — ice water in his veins.
Today's Los Angeles Times is all about Seager and how he helped two teams to the title in < 4 seasons.