I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: November 11th, 2023, 1:16 pm
Lorna wrote: November 11th, 2023, 8:34 am It’s available on YouTube and archive.org for free and you can listen to it while you put her about the house doing things, which I love about old radio.
Thanks! I've actually heard that version. I too love radio shows and listen to locally produced "Tuned To Yesterday" where each night offers 2 hours of radio genres: comedy, drama, adventure, true history, variety shows (like Alice Faye/Phil Harris) game shows (often Groucho) and sitcoms (often My Favorite Husband or Burns & Allen)
Lorna wrote: November 11th, 2023, 8:34 am Leonard Maltin has always been a total dipshit. The Orson Welles/Joan Fontaine version is perfectly fine, and worth noting is a really strong performance from a very very very young Elizabeth Taylor.
Be careful....Leonard Maltin is a personal friend of mine.
Often the 2 sentence reviews in the Movie Guide are geared towards the average viewer, not classic film fans like us.
Leonard Maltin's Classic Film Movie Guide is geared more towards people like us. I also often consult the Psychotronic Encyclopedia for cult type movie fans.
You know I love you, TikiSoo, but I have always found Maltin's two sentence reviews snarky and dismissive.

I do respect his knowledge of classic Disney though.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I’m rusty, and I forgot how an offhand remark of mine can spark things. Lord truly forgive me.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: November 11th, 2023, 8:27 am
Lorna wrote: November 10th, 2023, 2:40 pm Almost as done to death as JANE EYRE…
Funny you mention JANE EYRE...we heard a synopsis of the book and were intrigued as we enjoy Gothic mystery romances. So I thought catching Jane Eyre as a movie would be worthwhile, aren't there several versions?

My library has the Orson Welles version and I'm always up for seeing the pompous brute overacting, but Maltin reviews that attempt as "dull & plodding", not a good introduction.

Anyone have an opinion of the best version of JANE EYRE that's out there?
I read JANE EYRE as a freshman in high school loved the book.
I did an oral book report on it.

The following year I became obsessed with JANE EYRE: THE MUSICAL (with songs - both music and lyrics - by Paul Gordon) that was on Broadway at the time. In that production Jane Eyre was played by Marla Schaffel.

I listened to the Original Broadway Cast recording from beginning to end many, many times.
I enjoy all the songs but "Secret Soul" is a favorite.
These lyrics had a special significance to me at the time in my life when I first heard the song:

Deep in my secret soul
I cry his tears.
I weather his angry voice.
I feel his fears.
He life has infected every wound
And every pore.
I feel his mystery possess me
And I pray that mercy’s hand will bless me!

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lorna wrote: November 11th, 2023, 7:21 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 12:03 am kingrat, unfortunately I think I have but get it confused with that similiar Lana Turner one where she's confronting crazed murderous hippies -- I think the title is THE BIG CUBE or something along those lines.
ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO (which is also known by another name that I can’t recall and I’m too lazy to look up) makes THE BIG CUBE look like a masterfully constructed piece of genuine social commentary with great acting to boot.

It’s baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

It was also the first film I saw on YouTube.

But I'll bet Jennifer looks good. Wonder why she would even consider doing something like this -- wasn't she already married to super rich Norton Simon?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Allhallowsday wrote: November 11th, 2023, 1:12 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 12:11 am ...They have? Wow, I give the station credit! Never saw MULTIPLE MANIACS but would love to. Is that the one where Divine is violated by an oversized crustacean?

Yes, a lobster.

Was drawn butter involved?
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 9:27 pm ...Was drawn butter involved?

At that point near the end of that slop I was glazed over so, cannot ascertain.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 9:20 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 12:03 am kingrat, unfortunately I think I have but get it confused with that similiar Lana Turner one where she's confronting crazed murderous hippies -- I think the title is THE BIG CUBE or something along those lines.
ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO (which is also known by another name that I can’t recall and I’m too lazy to look up) makes THE BIG CUBE look like a masterfully constructed piece of genuine social commentary with great acting to boot.

It’s baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

But I'll bet Jennifer (JONES) looks good (in ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO) Wonder why she would even consider doing something like this -- wasn't she already married to super rich Norton Simon?
Actually, at the risk of being body snarking and dissing Jennifer Jones, of whom I’m also a fan, she looks terrible.

She was such a stunning beauty in her younger years, but as she got older, she stayed religiously thin, and her face took on kind of a hardness that reflected a lot of the hardships of her life. Plus, the cinematography is incredibly saturated, and she wears a series of ridiculous Loretta Lynn looking wigs.

I’m sure she wanted to do the movie to prove she was still a viable actress and a viable sex symbol, and could connect to the young generation with a controversial role like some of the ones that she had done earlier, but holy cow.

It’s been 10 years since I’ve seen this movie and I still remember how absolutely mind blowingly bad it is.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

kingrat wrote: November 11th, 2023, 4:12 pm Lorna, I think it's been established that Leonard Maltin doesn't write all the reviews in his guides. Even he couldn't see or write about all those films. So even if we make snarky remarks about a dismissive review, we're not necessarily criticizing Maltin.
Well said.
I realize the 2 sentence rating/reviews in Maltin's Movie Guide are not always his and take it with a grain of salt. Many movies I lurve are dismissed there-you just have to know how to read between the lines.

The Jane Eyre snippet simply says "plodding" and knowing Mr Tiki's taste in movies, this may not be the best version of the movie for HIM. Like most guys his age he likes a lot of action in his movies, whereas I most likely will love this 1944 version of Jane Eyre.

Lorna, please don't let my comment "be careful" to rein your unique snappy style of writing at all.

The comment just insulted my friend who's a knowledgeable, good guy. But I agree 100% the movie guides make him appear kind of a jerk ...he elected to put his name on them.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

(i apologize because this is going to meander)

One of my favorite FILMMAKING ANECDOTES ever (and one from which an invaluable lesson can be gleaned) involves a day DURING THE FILMING OF JAWS when SPIELBERG threw PETER BENCHLEY off the set because he decided that in the film's grand finale, the shark was going to eat the air tank and blow up. i'm going to paraphrase from memory, but BENCHLEY told SPIELBERG that was IDIOTIC and no one in the audience would believe it, to wit SPIELBERG replied that- if he had done his job as a director- the audience would be willing to accept (or more aptly put- "swallow") anything.

and he was right. He (with an excellent group of artists) made a film so MASTERFULLY CONSTRUCTED and BRILLIANTLY MANIPULATIVE of THE AUDIENCE that I for one know that if ever I am attacked by a shark, the very first thing I am going to do is look around for an AIR TANK to shove down that mother's gullet.

Anyhow, why the Hell am i bringing this up? (you surely are now asking)

Because on a whim (hah hah) I started watching WIM WENDERS' 1984 oddity PARIS TEXAS and he hooked me for exactly two hours and 8 minutes or so of the 2 hour 26 minute film because he is a brilliant filmmaker who was working with great actors and a great crew.

it is a movie that is OBVIOUSLY constructed by someone highly intelligent- there are symbols throughout and a brilliant almost mathematical geometry to the story- apparently KUROSAWA loved this movie and I get that.

It's beautifully shot and framed- there are A LOT of shots that could honestly BE IN A MOVIE TODAY which is wild, because 2/3 of this movie is EXTERIORS of TEXAS and CALIFORNIA ca. 1983/4- but they're framed so tastefully that many shots don't have anything in them to "date" the footage.

BUT...

In the end, for all his OBVIOUS GENIUS and for all the talent and effort of the cast, WIM WENDERS and CO. cannot get me to buy their own personal "shark eating the scuba tank" moment on which HANGS the finale of the whole film.

Spoilers may follow.

This movie starts out something like RAIN MAN where HARRY DEAN STANTON- with a real JOHN CARRADINE vibe- is found NON VERBAL in a DELIRIUM in Texas after wandering the desert FOR FOUR YEARS (?!?). His brother- who is played by DEAN STOCKWELL who I LOVE and who is SO GOOD IN THIS, comes to claim him. we discover that STOCKWELL and HIS WIFE have been rasing HARRY DEAN'S SON who is now about 8 in LOS ANGELES because HARRY DEAN vanished four years ago and neither he nor his wife have been seen.

Long story short, HARRY DEAN seems almost autistic in this movie, but he becomes verbal again and plays things in sort of a "JIMMY STEWART with a head injury" fashion, and has a gentle and highly endearing nature that is built up so well by the filmmaker that, although we may furrow our collective brows with concern as an audience when( at the film's one hour mark) HARRY DEAN and HIS EIGHT YEAR OLD SON [WHO HAS BEEN RAISED BY DEAN STOCKWELL AND THIS WIFE AS THEIR OWN IN A NICE STABLE HOUSE IN THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY] just go POOF! take off FOR TEXAS in search of HARRY DEAN'S WIFE, the kid's mother WITHOUT INFORMING THE KID'S ADOPTIVE/ACTUAL/DECENT/STABLE/CARING/EMPLOYED/HOUSED/VERBAL/FULLY INVESTED PARENTS that that are doing this.

whew.

this is not okay- but WENDERS- the craftsman- has us along for the ride because he OBVIOUSLY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING, so we keep on WATCHING...

and we get to TEXAS where see that HARRY DEAN'S WIFE, the kid's mother is NASTASSJA KINSKY ( WHO WAS 35 YEARS YOUNGER THAN HARRY DEAN STANTON!!!!!!!) and she is A PEEP SHOW WORKER in A BACK ALLEY IN HOUSTON.

And the film is getting to the 2 hour mark, and I'm still along for the ride, because this film is compelling and well shot and gorgeous and a time capsule, but also so contemporary- and even though it's slow, things are happening, and the acting is good and i'm invested in the characters.

stop reading here if you don't want the ending "ruined"

and then we discover that DURING THEIR MARRIAGE, HARRY DEAN PULLED SOME REAL IKE TURNER LEVEL s*** ON NASTASSJA- BEATING HER on a DRUNKEN BENDER BEFORE BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE and causing her to flee with their four year old son.

It's like discovering RAIN MAN was actually RUSSELL CROWE'S DAD who chained him to the radiator in LA CONFIDENTIAL.

AND THEN HARRY DEAN JUST GIVES HER THE KID AND WALKS AWAY FROM BOTH OF THEM.

END OF MOVIE.

The kid never goes back to DEAN STOCKWELL and his wife who have RAISED THE UNGRATEFUL LITTLE ****, the last we see of his adoptive mom, she's in a fugue state laying sprawled on his STAR WARS SHEETS. I don't mean to shame SEX WORKERS, but OH MY GOD, what is NASTASSJA gonna do with him WHILE SHE'S WORKIN THE PEEP SHOW DURING THE LUNCH SHIFT????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS NOT OKAY, NONE OF THIS IS OKAY-

the opening theme to LAW AND ORDER should've have started playing any number of times during this movie.

it's like if LENI REIFENSTAHL directed LOVE ACTUALLY- in the end, ain't no amount of aesthetic messaging and talent gonna get over SOME SERIOUS ISSUES WITH THE BASE MATERIAL.
Last edited by Lorna on November 12th, 2023, 12:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

OH MY GOD GOLD STAR FOR ME I FIGGERED OUT HOW TO DO PICS@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lorna wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:27 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 9:20 pm

It’s baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

But I'll bet Jennifer (JONES) looks good (in ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO) Wonder why she would even consider doing something like this -- wasn't she already married to super rich Norton Simon?
Actually, at the risk of being body snarking and dissing Jennifer Jones, of whom I’m also a fan, she looks terrible.

She was such a stunning beauty in her younger years, but as she got older, she stayed religiously thin, and her face took on kind of a hardness that reflected a lot of the hardships of her life. Plus, the cinematography is incredibly saturated, and she wears a series of ridiculous Loretta Lynn looking wigs.

I’m sure she wanted to do the movie to prove she was still a viable actress and a viable sex symbol, and could connect to the young generation with a controversial role like some of the ones that she had done earlier, but holy cow.

It’s been 10 years since I’ve seen this movie and I still remember how absolutely mind blowingly bad it is.

I just looked up her marriage to Norton Simon, which actually occurred in 1971, two years after ANGEL was made. Could explain a lot, lol.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

The Holdovers (2023) Alexander Payne returns with this funny, poignant, picturesque period piece set in a tony New England boarding school. The year is 1970, and three people, for different reasons, find themselves spending Christmas break on campus: a curmudgeonly, acerbic classics professor (Paul Giamatti); a talented but troubled student (Dominic Sessa); and the cafeteria manager (Da'Vine Joy Randolph), mourning the loss of her son in Vietnam. I found Giamatti’s character a tad over the top, and his backstory a bit forced. Regardless, the film is beautifully observed and acted, and it’ll likely be another addition to the “Christmas” movie.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Last night on METV (looking forward to this episode all week!):

I've admired that greasy Space Cowboy since I was 4 years old...when the episode was new! :smiley_worship: