I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by TikiSoo »

kingrat wrote: November 13th, 2023, 1:42 am We have watched the first three episodes of UNCOUPLED and have enjoyed them.
UGH! Until your description thought this might be a sequel to the hilarious BBC show COUPLING 2000-04.
It starred the most mesmerizingly pretty Sarah Alexander so....guess not-

Masha

Post by Masha »

TikiSoo wrote: November 13th, 2023, 6:13 am
kingrat wrote: November 13th, 2023, 1:42 am We have watched the first three episodes of UNCOUPLED and have enjoyed them.
UGH! Until your description thought this might be a sequel to the hilarious BBC show COUPLING 2000-04.
It starred the most mesmerizingly pretty Sarah Alexander so....guess not-
An Americanized version of: Coupling (2000-2004) was attempted in: 2003 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338592/?r ... q_coupling

It was an unmitigated disaster. The original English version has an IMDb.com rating of: 8.6/10. The American remake has an IMDB.com rating of: 3.6/10. "Following poor critical reception, NBC canceled the show after only four episodes."

We have attempted to find it but we have not located it on any streaming service.

We both love the original BBC version and I strongly recommend that all adults seek it out because it truly is hilarious.
Last edited by Masha on November 13th, 2023, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

kingrat wrote: November 13th, 2023, 1:42 am We have watched the first three episodes of UNCOUPLED and have enjoyed them. Since Darren Star is co-author and the show is set in New York, this is obviously intended to be a gay SEX AND THE CITY. Neil Patrick Harris discovers via text that his partner of 17 years (Tuc Watkins) has left him. Marcia Gay Harden chews the scenery most agreeably as a woman whose husband has left for a 25-year-old woman. In Episode 3 Neil drops his towel to reveal a delightful derriere.

The show runs the risk of becoming too overly with it, but so far I have been laughing, while also having heebie-jeebies at the thought of suddenly being thrown into the world of Grindr, which is the point of the show.
You're right to think that it teeters on going overboard but I won't spoil anything by getting ahead of you. I really like Brooks Ashmanskas as his friend Stanley, who, along with Marcia Gay Harden, is one of the best sources of humor. I'd remembered being impressed with him before even seeing him when her did the voice of Gore Vidal for the recent documentary about Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, The Last Movie Stars. There's room for pathos amid the humor too, and Stanley becomes a big part of that. It wasn't renewed for another season apparently, so it is what it is. It reminds me a little of Paul Rudnick's play and film Jeffrey (1995), which dealt with the perils of gay men dating in the time of AIDS, a risk for a comedy but it paid off. I'm several generations removed from the world of Grindr, so I'm just as unnerved as you are.
Last edited by I Love Melvin on November 14th, 2023, 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: November 13th, 2023, 1:42 am We have watched the first three episodes of UNCOUPLED and have enjoyed them. Since Darren Star is co-author and the show is set in New York, this is obviously intended to be a gay SEX AND THE CITY. Neil Patrick Harris discovers via text that his partner of 17 years (Tuc Watkins) has left him. Marcia Gay Harden chews the scenery most agreeably as a woman whose husband has left for a 25-year-old woman. In Episode 3 Neil drops his towel to reveal a delightful derriere.

The show runs the risk of becoming too overly with it, but so far I have been laughing, while also having heebie-jeebies at the thought of suddenly being thrown into the world of Grindr, which is the point of the show.
Watched this when it came out, and was waiting for the next season, but Netflix cancelled it. It's supposedly moving to Showtime.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

DECISION BEFORE DAWN (1951)

Can't believe I've never before watched this excellent WWII-themed film. Recorded it the other night off the Movies! channel (this way one can FF past all the commercials) and watched it last night.

Richard Basehart gets top billing as an American Army officer who is assigned to an intelligence operation headed by Gary Merrill, and with the latter coming up with the idea to select captured German POWs to spy for American forces behind German enemy lines. Basehart's character isn't completely on-board with this idea.

Now, who actually should have gotten top billing in this would be Austrian actor Oskar Werner who is the POW selected for this venture, as a large percentage in the middle of this film is devoted to his attempting to find the information of German troop and tank movements and then eluding capture after his indentity becomes known by the Germans. Werner is excellent in this part as a man who had become disillusioned with his country's politics and war-making and enough so to turn traitor and help end the war more quickly during its closing year and after the tide of the war had turned in the Allied Forces' favor.

I was particularly impressed with how six years after the end of this world conflict the film's director Anatole Litvak was able to so effectively recreate the visuals and the chaotic circumstances of war-torn German cities and their inhabitants as the fall of the Third Reich being just months away.

(my rating: 8/10)
Last edited by Dargo on November 13th, 2023, 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: November 12th, 2023, 11:41 am OH MY GOD GOLD STAR FOR ME I FIGGERED OUT HOW TO DO PICS@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're one up on me! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 12th, 2023, 2:37 pm
Lorna wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:27 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 9:20 pm

But I'll bet Jennifer (JONES) looks good (in ANGEL ANGEL DOWN WE GO) Wonder why she would even consider doing something like this -- wasn't she already married to super rich Norton Simon?
Actually, at the risk of being body snarking and dissing Jennifer Jones, of whom I’m also a fan, she looks terrible.

She was such a stunning beauty in her younger years, but as she got older, she stayed religiously thin, and her face took on kind of a hardness that reflected a lot of the hardships of her life. Plus, the cinematography is incredibly saturated, and she wears a series of ridiculous Loretta Lynn looking wigs.

I’m sure she wanted to do the movie to prove she was still a viable actress and a viable sex symbol, and could connect to the young generation with a controversial role like some of the ones that she had done earlier, but holy cow.

It’s been 10 years since I’ve seen this movie and I still remember how absolutely mind blowingly bad it is.

I just looked up her marriage to Norton Simon, which actually occurred in 1971, two years after ANGEL was made. Could explain a lot, lol.

Yes, Norton Simon rescued her from making more of these turkeys. Still, I wish Towering Inferno hadn't been her last film (though she has a good part in it). She wanted to film Terms of Endearment, but she couldn't get it made with her as the star so she sold the rights to James Brooks. Her lines in Angel are cringe worthy. A really terrible film.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I Love Melvin wrote: November 13th, 2023, 9:50 am [...] the perils of gay men dating in the time of AIDS [...]
I read that first as: "in the time of PLAIDS"

My mind reeled a bit at the idea that fashion could be truly perilous to some people.

I believe that I need more sleep. This is not quite my time of day.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: November 13th, 2023, 12:01 pm
Lorna wrote: November 12th, 2023, 11:41 am OH MY GOD GOLD STAR FOR ME I FIGGERED OUT HOW TO DO PICS@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's um...not not hard.
gonna try and save it for special occasions!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Dargo wrote: November 13th, 2023, 11:47 am DECISION BEFORE DAWN (1951)

Can't believe I've never before watched this excellent WWII-themed film. Recorded it the other night off the Movies! channel (this way one can FF past all the commercials) and watched it last night.....
I was particularly impressed with how six years after the end of this world conflict the film's director Anatole Litvak was able to so effectively recreate the visuals and the chaotic circumstances of war-torn German cities and their inhabitants as the fall of the Third Reich being just months away.

(my rating: 8/10)
FYI- This film was nominated at the 1951/52 OSCARS for BEST PICTURE and BEST EDITING and NOTHING ELSE!

I am pretty sure it was the last BEST PICTURE NOMINEE to only get ONE OTHER NOMINATION in ANY CATEGORY until FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL in 1994.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: November 13th, 2023, 4:23 pm
Hibi wrote: November 13th, 2023, 12:01 pm
it's um...not not hard.
gonna try and save it for special occasions!
I've tried it with mixed results........
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I've been watching THE MUNSTERS original series here and there- full eps are on youtube for the moment.

I LOVED this show on THE SUPERSTATION growing up, and for some reason remembered it as not being all that funny. I was wrong- every episode I've seen has had several laugh-out-loud moments (it helps that I'm a student of classic pop culture) but the show makes a lot of genuinely funny references to politics and culture of the time, a joke about THE EDSEL MAKING A COMEBACK when someone first lays eyes on THE MONSTER KOACH had me HOWLING.

Also, the acting and SPECIAL EFFECTS are top notch.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: November 13th, 2023, 4:57 pm I've been watching THE MUNSTERS original series here and there- full eps are on youtube for the moment.

I LOVED this show on THE SUPERSTATION growing up, and for some reason remembered it as not being all that funny. I was wrong- every episode I've seen has had several laugh-out-loud moments (it helps that I'm a student of classic pop culture) but the show makes a lot of genuinely funny references to politics and culture of the time, a joke about THE EDSEL MAKING A COMEBACK when someone first lays eyes on THE MONSTER KOACH had me HOWLING.

Also, the acting and SPECIAL EFFECTS are top notch.
From the same team that brought you Leave it to Beaver, Bob Mosher & Joe Connelly. They also share an Oscar nomination for The Private War of Major Benson.