I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

Also ANY TIME BELA LUGOSI wore A TURBAN is something I am 100% HERE FOR.
GOOD LORD, THAT MAN COULD WERK A TURBAN!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Also, no offense to PETER LORRE or KARLOFF, but KAY KYSER is easily to most unsettling, terrifying person in this film by a mile.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Well, you all know who terrifies me -- DENNIS O'KEEFE!!

Ish Kabibble looked like he would have been a continuing character on Green Acres. But that weird Moe Howard haircut....
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:55 pm Well, you all know who terrifies me -- DENNIS O'KEEFE!!.
Yes, all the younger actors and band members are trying to play it CALM, CAREFREE AND TOO COOL FOR THE ROOM a la CROSBY, but they just come off as sedate to the point of UNCANNYNESS.

Maybe they were all microdosing lithium.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:06 pm I watched You'll Find Out (RKO 1940) which is a comedy campy film that features the trio of Borris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Peter Lorre, with leads Kay Kyser and Dennis O'Keefe. I have seen this before. The running time of 97 minutes is too long for such a film, but it is funny to see that trio.
Amazingly, the most interesting part of that film are not the big 3, but KAY KISER's ORCHESTRA...
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:06 pm I watched You'll Find Out (RKO 1940) which is a comedy campy film that features the trio of Borris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Peter Lorre, with leads Kay Kyser and Dennis O'Keefe. I have seen this before. The running time of 97 minutes is too long for such a film, but it is funny to see that trio.
Bela's character was Prince Saliano, a name taken by one of the posters on the TCM Board whom I miss most. Prince Saliano knew his horror films and had great reverence for them!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Swithin wrote: November 16th, 2023, 6:38 pm
Bela's character was Prince Saliano, a name taken by one of the posters on the TCM Board whom I miss most. Prince Saliano knew his horror films and had great reverence for them!
(sniff)
let's all take a moment to pour one out for PRINCE SALIANO, JERRY'S DELI and GILLIGAN'S LAGOON.

(I REALLY WONDER how many posters from the YOUKNOWWHERE MESSAGEBOARDS have tried to log on here and failed. I know I tried 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months and never got my response e-mail until i used someone else's.)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Lorna wrote: November 17th, 2023, 8:54 am (sniff)
let's all take a moment to pour one out for PRINCE SALIANO, JERRY'S DELI and GILLIGAN'S LAGOON.

(I REALLY WONDER how many posters from the YOUKNOWWHERE MESSAGEBOARDS have tried to log on here and failed. I know I tried 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months and never got my response e-mail until i used someone else's.)
Ah I remember the Prince, totally forgotten the name was a Lugosi charactor. And yes, I miss many of the old guard, even learning to tolerate the troublemakers & know-it-alls to find they often still had something to offer. I even softened my opinion somewhat once realizing they had some great insights as well as a putrid personality.
Many have just elected not to join here & I thank them.

Gotta tell ya, Lorna....when I see the last post says LORNA, it brings an actual smile to my face. I have been on a downhill slide since before C-19 and rarely smile anymore.
Lorna Therapy:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Prince Saliano left the TCM Board long before the sunsetting, so his absence had nothing to do with that, or with the options after the sunsetting.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: November 17th, 2023, 9:31 am
Lorna wrote: November 17th, 2023, 8:54 am (sniff)

Ah I remember the Prince, totally forgotten the name was a Lugosi charactor. And yes, I miss many of the old guard, even learning to tolerate the troublemakers & know-it-alls to find they often still had something to offer. I even softened my opinion somewhat once realizing they had some great insights as well as a putrid personality.
Many have just elected not to join here & I thank them.

Gotta tell ya, Lorna....when I see the last post says LORNA, it brings an actual smile to my face. I have been on a downhill slide since before C-19 and rarely smile anymore.
Lorna Therapy:
HUBBA HUBBA!!!
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Swithin wrote: November 17th, 2023, 9:39 am Prince Saliano left the TCM Board long before the sunsetting, so his absence had nothing to do with that, or with the options after the sunsetting.
I miss him he was a great poster he made me laugh about requesting rare early films by Universal and Columbia,he knew his stuff ,he vanished in 2017 or 2015,maybe to a better world...
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

That was a big disappointment to me, the three villains are not given much screen time and are only all together in two brief scenes, not even 3 minutes! This is more for Ish Kabibble fans (if there are any left) than Karloff, Lugosi and Lorre fans.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955) - Dumb movie.

Image Image
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Allhallowsday wrote: November 17th, 2023, 2:22 pm IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955) - Dumb movie.

Image Image
Yea, I only check in to see this film for Faith Domergue. Around the same time, GRITT TV was also showing a 1955 film with Faith Domergue, Santa Fe Passage with John Payne and Ron Cameron. OK color western. The key here is the color: Faith plays a gal with a white father and Indian mother. I can't recall a film where Domergue ever looked more beautiful. The setting, lighting and make-up really highlighted her look.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 6:15 pm Don't despair, Holden! It always pops up "live" sooner or later!

Gustav and Otto will still be fighting.
Hooray!

DINNER AT EIGHT is now available on Watch TCM until November 23!

Hopefully, the sweetie and I can watch the movie this weekend.
It will be the sweetie's first viewing. and it's been years since I saw it.
We both love Billie Burke in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (which has become part of our annual holiday viewing) and I recall her being one of the highlights of DINNER AT EIGHT.