MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

ziggy6708a wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:00 pm
Does anyone know when A CHARLIE BROWN THANKSGIVING will be aired this month on plain old commercial television? (ABC, NBC, CBS) I am having problems with YouTube (cannot get any volume, try as I might) where I used to watch these beloved holiday classics.
See: https://www.billboard.com/culture/produ ... 235473232/

Oh ziggy thanks so much -- I can't seem to get into that link, though. I really want to watch it old-school style, on the regular commercial networks, not online or streaming. It is just not Thanksgiving (or Christmas) without the Peanuts gang and I get very nostalgic about this.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:18 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 15th, 2023, 5:55 pm
No, there really IS a photo of Marilyn with Albert.
Btw Bronxie, this might be the pic you're thinking of here...

However, the problem with this is that it might have been photoshopped.

Ya see, there really is no confirmable evidence of MM and AE ever really having met at all.

I could have sworn I saw an actual non-photoshopped pix of the two of them. There does seem to be consensus the two really did meet. Marilyn expressed in print her desire to meet and marry "an intellectual man". This, however, did not apply to Joe DiMaggio but soon afterward hooked up with Miller.

Jayne had her own problems. Mickey Hargitay was by all accounts a devoted, loving husband but she divorced him anyway.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 15th, 2023, 7:05 pm
...Marilyn expressed in print her desire to meet and marry "an intellectual man".
Yes, and according to what I've found, this story (and be it true or not) was propagated by her old roommate Shelley Winters when they were both starting out in the Biz.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:04 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 15th, 2023, 5:55 pm
Dargo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 5:51 pm

Uh-huh, and not to be outdone, Jayne Mansfield once had HER picture taken with Enrico Fermi.

(...claiming she thought Italian geniuses were especially sexy)

No, there really IS a photo of Marilyn with Albert.
Yeah, I know there is, Bronxie.

This was just once again a case of me being me here, that's all. ;)

(...and besides, what's wrong with givin' Enrico a shout out now and then TOO, right?!)

LOL

Senator Geary agrees with you -- he gave Enrico Fermi and all good Italian-American citizens a shout-out before making his strategic exit from Michael's Senate hearing in GODFATHER II.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: November 15th, 2023, 7:16 pm
...Marilyn expressed in print her desire to meet and marry "an intellectual man".
Yes, and according to what I've found, this story (and be it true or not) was propagated by her old roommate Shelley Winters when they were both starting out in the Biz.

This is news to me! From what I know of Shelley, she preferred the likes of Vittorio Gassman, Anthony Franciosa, and Burt Lancaster, three men I wouldn't ordinarily associate with the word "intellectual". (but I could be wrong, lol)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:21 pm It's NOT June's birthday. Why inflict June on us for no reason??????????

Although it could have been worse. They could have chosen Margaret O'Brien.

(and a confession: June and Van give fine performances in the wistful HIGH BARBAREE)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:16 pm

This is news to me! From what I know of Shelley, she preferred the likes of Vittorio Gassman, Anthony Franciosa, and Burt Lancaster, three men I wouldn't ordinarily associate with the word "intellectual". (but I could be wrong, lol)
The point was that Monroe was interested in "an intellectual man", not Shelley Winters.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh I know, james, I was just wondering if Shelley's apparent taste for non-intellectual lovemates contributed to that story (i.e. it would make Shelley by association appear more "classy", lol)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Anyone watching the June Film Festival today???
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:20 pm
Hibi wrote: November 15th, 2023, 6:21 pm It's NOT June's birthday. Why inflict June on us for no reason??????????

Although it could have been worse. They could have chosen Margaret O'Brien.

(and a confession: June and Van give fine performances in the wistful HIGH BARBAREE)

I've never seen that one. Is it set in Australia?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:16 pm

IIRC Marilyn had a picture of Einstein in her room but Shelley wasn't sure if they'd ever met or not. I think Marilyn played coy. That was all there was to it. Think Shelley surmised it could have happened knowing Marilyn was drawn to intellectual types..
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

I could have sworn I saw an actual non-photoshopped pix of the two of them. There does seem to be consensus the two really did meet. Marilyn expressed in print her desire to meet and marry "an intellectual man". This, however, did not apply to Joe DiMaggio but soon afterward hooked up with Miller.

Jayne had her own problems. Mickey Hargitay was by all accounts a devoted, loving husband but she divorced him anyway.
This may be what you're thinking of, Marilyn with Carl Sandberg in a Chicago hotel.

In 1985 Nicholas Roeg directed Insignificance, imagining a meeting with Einstein when Marilyn was on location for The Seven Year Itch, also featuring characters based on Dimaggio and Joe McCarthy.

You're right that she liked intellectual men. She supposedly always kept a picture of Abraham Lincoln in her bedroom.
Last edited by I Love Melvin on November 17th, 2023, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I didn't see the film of Insignificance, but the play was interesting. It was presented at the Royal Court Theatre, London, 1982, with Judy Davis as the Marilyn Monroe character (called "The Actress."). The cast also included Ian McDiarmid as "The Professor" (the Einstein character); Larry Lamb, and William Hootkins.

Andree

Post by Andree »

That's an interesting story about Carl Sandburg. The only thing I could find was that in late 1918
Sandburg was approached by a courier in Oslo who gave him a trunk full of Soviet propaganda, a
pamphlet by Lenin, and a check for $10,000. He told the American Foreign Minister about the check
and he gave it to the authorities when he reached New York. The trunk of Soviet propaganda was
confiscated, though he did keep the pamphlet written by Lenin. I suppose he could have also smuggled
jewels, though doing both seems unlikely.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky