I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
nakanosunplaza

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Swithin wrote: November 17th, 2023, 9:39 am Prince Saliano left the TCM Board long before the sunsetting, so his absence had nothing to do with that, or with the options after the sunsetting.
I miss him he was a great poster he made me laugh about requesting rare early films by Universal and Columbia,he knew his stuff ,he vanished in 2017 or 2015,maybe to a better world...
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 16th, 2023, 2:06 pm I watched You'll Find Out (RKO 1940) which is a comedy campy film that features the trio of Borris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Peter Lorre, with leads Kay Kyser and Dennis O'Keefe. I have seen this before. The running time of 97 minutes is too long for such a film, but it is funny to see that trio.

That was a big disappointment to me, the three villains are not given much screen time and are only all together in two brief scenes, not even 3 minutes! This is more for Ish Kabibble fans (if there are any left) than Karloff, Lugosi and Lorre fans.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955) - Dumb movie.

Image Image
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Allhallowsday wrote: November 17th, 2023, 2:22 pm IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955) - Dumb movie.

Image Image
Yea, I only check in to see this film for Faith Domergue. Around the same time, GRITT TV was also showing a 1955 film with Faith Domergue, Santa Fe Passage with John Payne and Ron Cameron. OK color western. The key here is the color: Faith plays a gal with a white father and Indian mother. I can't recall a film where Domergue ever looked more beautiful. The setting, lighting and make-up really highlighted her look.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 6:15 pm Don't despair, Holden! It always pops up "live" sooner or later!

Gustav and Otto will still be fighting.
Hooray!

DINNER AT EIGHT is now available on Watch TCM until November 23!

Hopefully, the sweetie and I can watch the movie this weekend.
It will be the sweetie's first viewing. and it's been years since I saw it.
We both love Billie Burke in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (which has become part of our annual holiday viewing) and I recall her being one of the highlights of DINNER AT EIGHT.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 17th, 2023, 2:46 pm ...Yea, I only check in to see this film for Faith Domergue. Around the same time, GRITT TV was also showing a 1955 film with Faith Domergue, Santa Fe Passage with John Payne and Ron Cameron. OK color western. The key here is the color: Faith plays a gal with a white father and Indian mother. I can't recall a film where Domergue ever looked more beautiful. The setting, lighting and make-up really highlighted her look.
Yes, FAITH DOMERGUE is the only worthwhile part of a wonderfully animated pointless SciFi.
Are both male leads her love interests? Are they in a threesome? :roll:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 17th, 2023, 3:39 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 6:15 pm Don't despair, Holden! It always pops up "live" sooner or later!

Gustav and Otto will still be fighting.
Hooray!

DINNER AT EIGHT is now available on Watch TCM until November 23!

Hopefully, the sweetie and I can watch the movie this weekend.
It will be the sweetie's first viewing. and it's been years since I saw it.
We both love Billie Burke in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER (which has become part of our annual holiday viewing) and I recall her being one of the highlights of DINNER AT EIGHT.
Some other favorite Billie Burke roles:

The Young Philadelphians
Topper Returns
Hi Diddle Diddle
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Swithin wrote: November 17th, 2023, 4:11 pm ...Some other favorite Billie Burke roles:

The Young Philadelphians
Topper Returns
Hi Diddle Diddle

She's always a delight, but I particularly love her in DINNER AT EIGHT .
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BORN TO KILL (1947) on TCM this afternoon. I couldn't find the old thread "Bad Movies You Love" because BORN TO KILLis BAD in so many wonderful ways, most importantly, BAD for you! Lurid, disturbing, implausible trash. I love it.

Image Image

jameselliot

Post by jameselliot »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:56 am Who Killed Teddy Bear? (1965) Tubi-8/10

A discotheque hostess (Juliet Prowse) is terrorized by obscene phone calls.

This is a sometimes sleazy, exploitative film but I love it. Sal Mineo plays the caller who is also a busboy in Prowse's disco, he is excellent. Elaine Stritch is Prowse's lesbian boss. Comedian Jan Murray plays a vice cop who plays tapes of sex assault victims while his ten year daughter is listening in the next room. There are several songs played in the club, co written by Bob Gaudio, who was one of the Four Seasons, the songs are all catchy and could have been actual hits in the 1960s. The hypnotic title song is memorable too. There are also some great on location NYC scenes of Broadway and Times Square, then just starting to descend into sleaze.
Jan Murray was convincing as a cop with problems. He was a good actor but most comedians are capable in dramatic roles. There's enough raw morbid sleaze in this unusual "adults only" film for ten movies. How Juliet Prowse got involved in this is beyond me.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Napoleon (2023) by Ridley Scott. Ultra-long and certainly epic, but for me, utterly soulless and devoid of any heart. The battles are well done but you can find better renditions of individual ones in War and Peace, Waterloo and The Battle of Austerlitz. But my main complaint, and I suspected as much going into this film, is the miscasting of Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby. Both are boring and devoid of any charisma and Phoenix is too old for starters. What a tragic, expensive misfire.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Feinberg wrote: November 18th, 2023, 12:44 am Napoleon (2023) by Ridley Scott. What a tragic, expensive misfire.
THANKS!
We have a group party of people going to see this. I'll make sure I bring edibles to enhance my entertainment.

Hope against hope: they tell some of Marengo's story.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Feinberg wrote: November 18th, 2023, 12:44 am Napoleon (2023) by Ridley Scott. Ultra-long and certainly epic, but for me, utterly soulless and devoid of any heart. The battles are well done but you can find better renditions of individual ones in War and Peace, Waterloo and The Battle of Austerlitz. But my main complaint, and I suspected as much going into this film, is the miscasting of Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby. Both are boring and devoid of any charisma and Phoenix is too old for starters. What a tragic, expensive misfire.
I was bored just watching the trailer...
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: November 18th, 2023, 7:36 am
Feinberg wrote: November 18th, 2023, 12:44 am Napoleon (2023) by Ridley Scott. What a tragic, expensive misfire.
THANKS!
We have a group party of people going to see this. I'll make sure I bring edibles to enhance my entertainment.

Great response!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: November 14th, 2023, 11:15 am
Grumpytoad wrote: November 13th, 2023, 11:13 pm Angel Heart (1987)

Saw on original release. Recalled liking the movie at that time, but no longer remembered why. Thus, decided to watch it again.

The detective has to travel to Louisiana in pursuit of his goal, where he eventually meets a young woman played by Lisa Bonet. As the two become intensely involved with each other the plot thickens (in multiple ways). Bonet does a good job in the picture, but not to the extent that the other two actors do. Because the story takes place in the 50's, and is mostly shot in faded colours, the movie kind of has a black and white feel to it.
large parts of ANGEL HEART were filmed in my home town of WILMINGTON NC, quite a few scenes were shot at a big mansion that's right around the corner from where I live and I am 99.9999% sure that the interiors in HALLOWEEN ENDS (2022) were filmed in their front hallway.

i VIVIDLY RECALL that (at the time) THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER had MULTIPLE STORIES of how SCANDALIZED BILL COSBY was over his TV DAUGHTER LISA BONET'S involvement in this movie.

(snort laughter)

God, I miss bulls*** 1980's tabloid culture that would later prove DEEPLY IRONIC.

Supposedly Bill Cosby stated that Lisa Bonet's "lifestyle" (huh???) threatened the wholesome nature he wanted to project for her character on THE COSBY SHOW and the show in general. She was written out of the spin-off series A DIFFERENT WORLD (about her character's experience in college) when the married Lisa Bonet became pregnant. After the birth of her daughter, she came back to THE COSBY SHOW briefly but ultimately was written out of that show as well. The official reason given was "creative differences."

Lisa Bonet was not even asked to appear on THE COSBY SHOW final episode. She wasn't present for a reunion show either where cast members reminisced about favorite moments from the series.
At one point Phylicia Rashad (who played Cosby's wife on the show) was speculating about what became of the show's characters later in life. She made a snarky comment that Denise (Lisa Bonet's character) was probably living in a trailer park.