Gay and Streaming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
TikiSoo

Re: Gay and Streaming

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:42 am If there is a separate sub-forum is everyone welcome? Of course I know you will say "yes", but is that genuine?
C'mon, don't make trouble where there is none. Or are you the one having trouble?

Of course ALL are welcome to read and/or post-

Or not, especially if the subject doesn't interest them, sheesh.

There's lots of threads I have zero interest in discussing, like Westerns. But a thread discussing the controversy over John Wayne's personal opinions- that interests me. I want to hear others' opinions.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: November 21st, 2023, 1:52 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:42 am If there is a separate sub-forum is everyone welcome? Of course I know you will say "yes", but is that genuine?
C'mon, don't make trouble where there is none. Or are you the one having trouble?

There's lots of threads I have zero interest in discussing, like Westerns. But a thread discussing the controversy over John Wayne's personal opinions- that interests me. I want to hear others' opinions.
It was you that made the point about segregation of threads, supporting what Holden said. Sometimes when there is self-segregation, others outside the target minority group are not welcome (or not as welcome). Thus, the modern-day question: does self-segregation lead to more inclusivity or hinder it?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:42 am
Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:33 am
jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 11:11 am

Did you happened to watch Bravo and Below Desk? Last night's episode was about a very similar topic. The crew (community) was talking, and one straight guy said how much he liked the gay guy and that they were all part of a community. The gay guy thanked him for understanding,,,, but said you could never be part of our community. When others tried to explain how the straight guy was just reaching out, the gay guy started to attack all of them, using points very similar to "the type of argument that people of less integrity than you and Holden would also use". An attack on the so-called good people, implying that maybe they really aren't so good. The show ends with lesbian Captain Sandy meeting with the gay guy. It wasn't a friendly meeting.
No, I haven't seen that. I don't believe that one has to be part of a group to understand how members of another group might feel. That would be pretty tragic for the human race. But not everyone is capable of that sort of compassion, and I think minorities of any type do develop a sense of sussing out the genuine.

Btw, here's an interesting website:

https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/how-to-d ... e-website/
If there is a separate sub-forum is everyone welcome? Of course I know you will say "yes", but is that genuine?
James, you're an "old-timer" from the TCM Board days. Of course I will say yes, because it would be the case, as it was on that Board.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

TikiSoo wrote: November 21st, 2023, 1:52 pm

I am not a fan of the Like button and used it once to like/thank Lomm for his efforts, including the abuse he received.
This post TikiSoo, is probably one of the reasons you are trusted as a Moderator.
I remember when Ellen DeGeneres "came out" on her then comedy show. She probably struggled with it and used a comedy skit to make the announcement. I suppose everyone has trouble revealing the truth. I have to respect that honesty.
My television news comes from San Francisco. Trust me people, we have issues.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I like the idea of a hillbilly sub-forum. I have some hillbilly blood strolling barefoot through my veins on my
pappy's side. Besides movies, maybe tips on dating cousins and how to cook collards. Perhaps it could be divided
into two sub sub-forums, based on the number of teeth left, one for between 0-16, a second for 17-32. Ponder
over it, y'all.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 2:17 pm Thus, the modern-day question: does self-segregation lead to more inclusivity or hinder it?

Must be an individual, personal choice I guess.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm old enough to know who that is TikiSoo and the TV show.
https://tubitv.com/series/300007922/row ... s-laugh-in
Yes, old enough to watch when it was new.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: November 21st, 2023, 5:05 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 2:17 pm Thus, the modern-day question: does self-segregation lead to more inclusivity or hinder it?

Must be an individual, personal choice I guess.
Good to see my overall point is understood. A big topic here in So Cal is how to celebrate different groups without leaving anyone out. E.g. Laguna Beach: The town was one of the first in CA to have a gay pride day. This went on for decades. Then this was changed to a Rainbow pride day. Older gays were upset and spoke at the town hall. They didn't wish to share their day. The younger gay men I talked to wondered what all the fuss was about.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Apologies for a long post:

To my knowledge, no poster asked TCM to create their LGBT sub-forum. They considered it the appropriate thing to do. One very practical use of the forum was the availability of information about new gay-themed films, which meant people with that interest could make a beeline for that forum, to find out, quickly, what's new in the various threads there; or perhaps find a new take on a classic film, play, or actor. We live in a time when there are a great many gay-themed works, in contrast to decades past. It was a very respectful forum. I don't remember anyone saying "why do we need this forum; or "it's segregation," or "get rid of it."

I found the forum useful to call attention to some new gay-themed plays that I'd seen, largely in London, introducing people to plays like The Inheritance, which ultimately came to Broadway where it won the Tony Award. There was also the opportunity to have substantive ongoing discussions about films and plays. It became, I think, a very rich section of the TCM Board. There are those of us here who would find such a sub-forum useful. Yes, anything posted there could have been posted in myriad other places, but the gay forum made it easy, which is why it's the norm in so many places. And ask yourselves, what harm would it do? For heaven's sake, WHAT HARM WOULD IT DO?

And another thing. I've been fortunate in that I've spent my career working in the arts. I could have had a more lucrative career elsewhere, but I made my choice, and I'm glad I did. I'm retired from full-time work but am still involved in theater in New York and London. As a result of my work, I've been lucky to have met, and work with, many creative artists in the theater and film. And so I occasionally mention them here, when I think it's relevant. But it came to my attention yesterday morning that, maybe it's not appreciated here. I mentioned yesterday that a vile post appeared, from a long-time poster. I reported the post, and it was deleted. Here is one sentence from that post, from the SSO poster who seems perhaps most in terror of a gay forum:

[Sentence deleted by Swithin.]

So, to those of you who have been offended by my name-dropping, my sincere apologies. If you don't want me ever to drop a name again, feel free to say so. (Although, having read that person's post, I probably won't do that anymore, anyway.)

Regarding the other part of that paragraph, the part which says I can't comprehend anyone else's opinions, I offer the following paragraph, written by the same poster back during the "Like" button discussions (that person's full post is still up). This paragraph is part of a much longer, virulent post, which was in response to my merely saying that anyone who didn't want to use a "Like" button didn't have to!

"Y'all should be thankful that I am not an: Admin because I would likely ban several of those who agitate for this issue. The most I can do as a member is fear what asinine demands you will make next, devirginize my: 'Foe' list and hope that you soon tire of being trolls here and go to your kindred spirit's site where any old lung disease can become god."

So, the person who says that I can't comprehend the opinions of others is saying that, if she were a Mod, she would ban those with differing opinions! So I guess in requesting an LGBTQ+ sub-forum, I may be fulfilling her worst nightmare: an "asinine demand" for a gay sub-forum. Though what the hell does devirginize mean?

In response to that poster's thread, our old pal Lawrence merely responded: "Yikes."

In closing, I have to say one more thing. I'm being honest. I think calling my request for a gay sub-forum segregation is offensive. I don't consider myself thin-skinned, or overly sensitive, I just find that line of argument offensive. I hold no grudge against those of you who've used that line, I'm just being honest.

So we'll see what Lomm decides. This is not the kind of issue that can be put to a vote. But I go back to what I wrote earlier: For heaven's sake, WHAT HARM WOULD IT DO?
Last edited by Swithin on November 22nd, 2023, 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

For heaven's sake,
WHAT HARM WOULD IT DO?
None Zip Zero Nada
Just Do It!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hello People. Make The Connection!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:11 pm Good to see my overall point is understood. A big topic here in So Cal is how to celebrate different groups without leaving anyone out.
I'm a big fan of attending cultural festivals all around the US. You don't have to be Italian to enjoy a St Anthony's Day Celebration or enjoy a green beer with a group of friends on St Patrick's Day.
Even a geographic cultural fair, like a Street or Community can be inclusive.

Any group feeling under appreciated could go a long way gathering & creatinge a celebration to introduce yourself to "outsiders". Music & food are universal tools.
Although these days I no longer feel safe in crowds :(
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: November 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm I like the idea of a hillbilly sub-forum. I have some hillbilly blood strolling barefoot through my veins on my
pappy's side. Besides movies, maybe tips on dating cousins and how to cook collards. Perhaps it could be divided
into two sub sub-forums, based on the number of teeth left, one for between 0-16, a second for 17-32. Ponder
over it, y'all.
This post quite literally made me laugh out loud and by loud I mean LOUD!

I was on the Metra train at the time on my way to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving.
(We won't be having collards though . . .)
Andree

Post by Andree »

HoldenIsHere wrote: November 23rd, 2023, 12:29 am
This post quite literally made me laugh out loud and by loud I mean LOUD!

I was on the Metra train at the time on my way to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving.
(We won't be having collards though . . .)
I tried not to lay it on too thick. My dad came from a semi-hillbilly background, though that
was many years ago. Of course a lot of the hillbilly stereotypes are exaggerated. He does
have some good moonshining stories to tell. No, I won't be dining on collards or fatback
either. Have a happy Thanksgiving Holden.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:22 pm To my knowledge, no poster asked TCM to create their LGBT sub-forum. They considered it the appropriate thing to do.
Actually, it was a poster at the old TCM message boards who requested an LGBT sub-forum there, and that poster made a point of letting everyone know. And it was not just any poster, I might add, but probably the most obnoxiously self-aggrandizing regular poster on that site. On more than one occasion, he posted in public threads about the deep, private discussions he had with one of the moderators. This same person regularly antagonized and belittled other posters but would boohoo and threaten to report someone who dared to challenge his perceived cinematic authority.
I chuckle when I remember the time when he thought he had craftily outed me. Geez Louise! You can’t out someone who has never been in!
Swithin wrote: November 21st, 2023, 6:22 pm I think calling my request for a gay sub-forum segregation is offensive. I don't consider myself thin-skinned, or overly sensitive, I just find that line of argument offensive. I hold no grudge against those of you who've used that line, I'm just being honest.

So we'll see what Lomm decides. This is not the kind of issue that can be put to a vote. But I go back to what I wrote earlier: For heaven's sake, WHAT HARM WOULD IT DO?
I appreciate your honesty. I likewise was being honest when I previously said that I find the idea of distinct LGBT sub-forums on media discussion sites offensive.
Yes, I realize they are the “norm” today, but just because something is the norm doesn’t mean it’s a good thing. My sexual orientation (I wish there was a better term) is only one aspect of my humanity albeit an important aspect. I see those kinds of demographically based sub-forums as a step backwards and harmful. And, again if I’m being honest, they make me feel sad and more marginalized. I don’t want to be shoved into the margins!