FOR DARGO: THE AFTERGLOW AFFAIR

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
NoShear

FOR DARGO: THE AFTERGLOW AFFAIR

Post by NoShear »

Dargo, I recently ran across the following image of Patricia Crowley, which was culled from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and wonder if you could have envisioned her as April Dancer*:

Indeed, Crowley is seen in the premiere episode of the patriarchal series, "THE VULCAN AFFAIR".

* = This, of course, on the hypothetical that Stefanie Powers had never been handed the U.N.C.L.E. badge, Dargo. ;)
Dargo

Re: FOR DARGO: THE AFTERGLOW AFFAIR

Post by Dargo »

While I always thought Pat Crowley was a VERY attractive woman back during my teenage years, if I recall correctly, my first recollection of her would have been as the mother of a bunch of snotty-nosed kids on the sitcom "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" and which ran during about the same television season as "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.' did.

And so considering the U.N.C.L.E. spin-off series starring Stefanie was called the "Girl" and NOT "The MILF from U.N.C.L.E." (LOL) I'd have to say I would think Ms. Crowley would've probably been slightly too old for that part by this time in her career!

(...know what I mean?!) ;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

If I close my good eye, she looks like Jane Fonda.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: November 25th, 2023, 10:30 pm While I always thought Pat Crowley was a VERY attractive woman back during my teenage years, if I recall correctly, my first recollection of her would have been as the mother of a bunch of snotty-nosed kids on the sitcom "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" and which ran during about the same television season as "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.' did.

And so considering the U.N.C.L.E. spin-off series starring Stefanie was called the "Girl" and NOT "The MILF from U.N.C.L.E." (LOL) I'd have to say I would think Ms. Crowley would've probably been slightly too old for that part by this time in her career!

(...know what I mean?!) ;)
Crowley was 9 years older than Powers. Crowley was indeed attractive, but I don't find her as sexy as Powers. Note that Crowley's first film was Forever Female in 1953 with William Holden. While Ginger Rogers was the lead actress, I wonder if Holden ever noticed the resemblance between the two once Powers because his gal.

As for their film legacy: I have to give that to Crowley. Neither were stars but for me Crowley, overall, is in better films. E.g. There's Always Tomorrow with MacMurray, Stanwyck and Bennett, a couple of noir dramas; The Square Jungle, with Tony Curtis and Borgnine, Key Witness, with Jeffery Hunter and Dennis Hopper.

Powers was only in a two films I enjoyed, the best being Die, Die, My Darling with Bankhead and the just shown on Noir Alley, Experiment in Terror.

(yea, she was in the Stagecoach remake, but is the least interesting of the characters in this ensemble film).
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 26th, 2023, 7:47 pm
Crowley was 9 years older than Powers. Crowley was indeed attractive, but I don't find her as sexy as Powers. Note that Crowley's first film was Forever Female in 1953 with William Holden. While Ginger Rogers was the lead actress, I wonder if Holden ever noticed the resemblance between the two once Powers because his gal.
Interesting observation here, James. I agree. There is some resemblance between the two ladies, isn't there, and Holden might have indeed noticed this.
jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 26th, 2023, 7:47 pm
As for their film legacy: I have to give that to Crowley. Neither were stars but for me Crowley, overall, is in better films. E.g. There's Always Tomorrow with MacMurray, Stanwyck and Bennett, a couple of noir dramas; The Square Jungle, with Tony Curtis and Borgnine, Key Witness, with Jeffery Hunter and Dennis Hopper.

Powers was only in a two films I enjoyed, the best being Die, Die, My Darling with Bankhead and the just shown on Noir Alley, Experiment in Terror.

(yea, she was in the Stagecoach remake, but is the least interesting of the characters in this ensemble film).
Good points made here, but of Stefanie's few big screen appearances (as her TV credits far outnumber her film roles) and in addition to those you mentioned, I've always liked her in and the film itself that starred another actor who'll always primarily be remembered as a "television star"...the 1967 David Janssen-starring film 'Warning Shot'.

(...and in which, IMO, contained a number of very good performances by a number of B-List actors of that era)