Double feature: "Ivy" and "Moss Rose" (1947)

jamesjazzguitar

Re: Double feature: "Ivy" and "Moss Rose" (1947)

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: November 30th, 2023, 11:42 am
CinemaInternational wrote: November 29th, 2023, 1:30 pm
Hibi wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:19 am

That must've been when I saw it. I know it was the first time that TCM ever showed it. (and sadly, the last)
Call it the curse of Universal. Their better known titles (which also include Pre-1950 Paramount talkies) will air frequently on TCM, but the lesser known titles rarely see the light of day. I honestly don't think they care about them; if they did, old copies of them would not be flooding the far reaches of the internet, easily accessible via a video search.

Universal did a very intriguing modern noir in 1948 that is AWOL except online called A Woman's Vengeance that had a script by Aldous Huxley and came with a great cast: Charles Boyer, Ann Blyth, Jessica Tandy, Cecil Hardwicke, Mildred Natwick. I hope that one gets out some day again.
Many of Fontaine's 40s films were released through Universal as she and her husband at the time, BIll Dozier, had a production deal with them. So none of these films pop up on TCM. Ditto Maria Montez and Yvonne DeCarlo desert epics, which I'd love to see!
Noir Alley this weekend is a Universal premier, The Black Angel, with Dan Duryea and Peter Lorre. Hopefully TCM will lease more Universal films and we will get some of those Fontaine, Montez and DeCarlo films.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hope springs eternal!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: November 30th, 2023, 4:28 pm Hope springs eternal!
In some cases yes, but note that I didn't mention Joan Bennett and her Fox films!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 30th, 2023, 4:40 pm
Hibi wrote: November 30th, 2023, 4:28 pm Hope springs eternal!
In some cases yes, but note that I didn't mention Joan Bennett and her Fox films!
Yeah, that seems to be hopeless! :(