I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

I love Nicholson’s little soliloquy on the parade float:

“and now, comes the part, where I relieve you, the little people of Gotham City, of the burden of your failed and useless lives- but as my plastic surgeon always said, “if you Gotta go, GO WITH A SMILE!!!”

(Insane laughter)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Ps- fun fact, the silver throne that sits behind the Joker on his float is the same throne used for Garbo in “queen Christina.”
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Also, seeing “Batman” in a completely sold out theater on opening weekend in June 1989 was the complete opposite of saying “Mars attacks!” on December 13, 1996.

The audience absolutely ate every minute of NICHOLSON up, and they loved the rest too. I still remember them howling during the scene where the news anchor dies on screen.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: December 10th, 2023, 4:53 pm The version that is not the “STOP!” remix leaves me cold. But I get to each their own.
Agree that the Stop! Remix is superior -- no arguments there.

But the "Official" video for the first version (featuring Melissa Joan Hart and Adrian Grenier from the movie) and Britney rocking that waitress uniform in the beginning and the crop top in the dance sequence is "the bomb."
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

“Plus no one ever explained just why THE HELL they left the g**d***ed cake out in the g**d***ed rain!!!!”
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

For you, KINGRAT:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE -- I love the beautiful Latin melody woven throughout but that's about the only really positive thing I can say about this faux-Capra effort. You'd think it was made at the height of the Depression instead of post-WWII 1947, since the script doesn't seem to respect an individual's private property, especially if they are "the second richest man in the world" Hey, billionaires have rights too, even if most of us would rather think not, lol.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 10th, 2023, 8:12 pm IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE -- I love the beautiful Latin melody woven throughout but that's about the only really positive thing I can say about this faux-Capra effort. You'd think it was made at the height of the Depression instead of post-WWII 1947, since the script doesn't seem to respect an individual's private property, especially if they are "the second richest man in the world" Hey, billionaires have rights too, even if most of us would rather think not, lol.
There are things to like about the movie, but philosophically it's horse hockey. VICTOR MOORE is a delight, but what the 3 ex-servicemen do to CHARLES LANE is dreadful, unfair, stupid.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 8th, 2023, 7:16 pm
Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:22 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 7th, 2023, 5:15 pm CinemaInternational, if they were going to show a film from John Barrymore's late period a better choice (well, comparatively speaking) would have been THE INVISIBLE WOMAN.

Did anyone see THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT? In a nutshell, the Frank Tashlin sexy-cartoonish touch does not work well with Doris Day. Now, we all love Doris, who doesn't, but damn, this space-age spy spoof "romantic" screwball comedy makes her behave frankly like a complete idiot. She and Rod Taylor, however do look as though they're having fun which is more than I can say for the viewer. Adding insult to injury, the repulsive Arthur Godfrey plays her father. (he was infamous for two things -- telling the world of his vasectomy and firing Julius LaRosa on-air)

"Highlights" of this mess: Day's toe being sucked up by a robotic floor sweeper, and Paul Lynde in drag.
It's a pretty silly comedy, but it does have some laugh out loud moments. I would've cut Doris' singing on the lounge and the long drawn out ending with all the door slamming, but if it's on and I'm not doing anything of note, sometimes I'll watch it. The supporting cast is pretty funny.

I look at it like this -- anytime Rod Taylor is in a film, be it bad or good, at least I can always keep my female eyes on him, lol.

I spotted the Kravitzes -- George Tobias and Alice Pearce, but they had little screen time unfortunately. And of course another Bewitched member, Uncle Arthur (Paul Lynde).

Yeah, its too bad they didn't have more screen time (the Kravitzes-playing the same kind of couple). Paul in drag always has me laughing!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:57 am
Hibi wrote: December 8th, 2023, 10:22 am

It's a pretty silly comedy, but it does have some laugh out loud moments. I would've cut Doris' singing on the lounge and the long drawn out ending with all the door slamming, but if it's on and I'm not doing anything of note, sometimes I'll watch it. The supporting cast is pretty funny.

I look at it like this -- anytime Rod Taylor is in a film, be it bad or good, at least I can always keep my female eyes on him, lol.

I spotted the Kravitzes -- George Tobias and Alice Pearce, but they had little screen time unfortunately. And of course another Bewitched member, Uncle Arthur (Paul Lynde).

Yeah, its too bad they didn't have more screen time (the Kravitzes-playing the same kind of couple). Paul in drag always has me laughing!
Gladys Kravitz though (the original one) passed away a few months before this film was released, so maybe she was meant to have a larger role, but because of her illness it had to be cut back.....
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Dementia 13 (1963) : Roger Corman quickie involving mourning party that becomes center stage for a series of axe murders. It's preposterous, far too gory for its era, and definitely not a showcase for good performances, but it might be worth a glance because it was the first film Francis Ford Coppola directed and, in spite of all its flaws, it is very atmospheric.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 11th, 2023, 1:41 pm
Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:57 am

Gladys Kravitz though (the original one) passed away a few months before this film was released, so maybe she was meant to have a larger role, but because of her illness it had to be cut back.....
I didn't realize that. That may be true.......
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: December 9th, 2023, 12:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 8th, 2023, 6:57 pm
I know what you mean about the pastel colors but I missed the deeper, jewel tones of the more "traditional" 1950's Tashlin comedies for Martin and Lewis, Bob Hope, SUSAN SLEPT HERE and others of that period. THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT was made in 1966 and to me it tries to be hip, happening and clever but, well, fails as far as I'm concerned. It seems to straddle the pre-Beatles, more conservative atmosphere while straining to embrace burgeoning counterculture irreverence.
Nicely put here, Bronxie.

And so in essence, pretty much the very same zeitgeist that one senses while watching any of those AIP Beach Party movies made at about the same time, right?!

(...yeah yeah, doncha just love that German word up there?!...ya know, whenever ya use it, people will think your I.Q. is ten points higher than it actually is!) ;)

Thanks, Dargo but when I re-read what I wrote it just sounds pretentious.

I like that word "zeitgeist". In fact I always use it when trying to understand why Ginger Rogers won the Oscar for KITTY FOYLE.