Noir Alley

Hibi

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hibi »

I haven't seen it either. Looking forward to it.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I saw this one a year or two ago on good old YT. I had to look up the plot synopsis since Black and Angel are
used fairly often in noir flicks. It's pretty good, definitely above average and has a night club background
and a fairly original plot.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: November 29th, 2023, 4:49 pm I saw this one a year or two ago on good old YT. I had to look up the plot synopsis since Black and Angel are
used fairly often in noir flicks. It's pretty good, definitely above average and has a night club background
and a fairly original plot.
While I haven't seen the film, I know the plot synopsis since the film is covered in the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver), that I have and I've been wanting to see it for decades. Duryea and Lorre in this 1946 noir is something to look forward to.
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 30th, 2023, 2:40 pm

While I haven't seen the film, I know the plot synopsis since the film is covered in the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver), that I have and I've been wanting to see it for decades. Duryea and Lorre in this 1946 noir is something to look forward to.
I enjoyed it. There is also a bit of humor along the way. Well done all around.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I found IWBIYS to be fairly entertaining, even if some plot points are a bit hard to believe, like
throwing your shoes out the window and by doing so winding up as a murder suspect. I thought
Toomey might be the killer as he makes it very obvious he's in love with Ann. What better way
to get rid of hubby than by framing him for murder, even if he really had no chance with Ann.
And he also picks up a big wad of cash from the old goat he murdered. The suspect he brought
in late in the picture made me wonder, but when he is cleared, suspicion goes right back to the
bad cop. Castle and Knox were a sympathetic couple and it's good to see their happy ending,
as Castle gets out of that music loving death row.
laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: December 10th, 2023, 7:59 pm Next week's BEWARE, MY LOVELY is basically a filmed play, not especially well directed. However, Robert Ryan and Ida Lupino both give fine performances, as you would expect.
I wouldn't watch this for money. I have tried and it didn't last very long. I CAN'T STAND hostage or terrorizing stories. Some idiot psycho, yuk!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

SPOILERS

I thought Toomey was very good. So used to him playing by the book cops, he showed he could really act in this one. Yes, once that other guy was cleared there was no one else to focus on, so I figured it had to be him. I kinda felt sorry for him at the end as the wife never cared for him and was playing him along from the start. Some of Monograms transcend their budget, but this one did not. Very cheap production values. They probably splurged on that last set! Did Castle ever appear in any A films?

Overall not a very plausible story. So we're to believe Toomey just happened to be outside watching and used the shoes to implicate the husband. What great timing!
jamesjazzguitar

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:05 am SPOILERS

I thought Toomey was very good. So used to him playing by the book cops, he showed he could really act in this one. Yes, once that other guy was cleared there was no one else to focus on, so I figured it had to be him. I kinda felt sorry for him at the end as the wife never cared for him and was playing him along from the start. Some of Monograms transcend their budget, but this one did not. Very cheap production values. They probably splurged on that last set! Did Castle ever appear in any A films?

Overall not a very plausible story. So we're to believe Toomey just happened to be outside watching and used the shoes to implicate the husband. What great timing!
The detective was watching the house most of the time since he was lonely and had the hots for Ann big time. Just like Detective Cornell did in I Wake Up Screaming. Steve Fisher penned the novel IWUS and wrote the screenplay for IWBIYS.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 11th, 2023, 12:04 pm
Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:05 am SPOILERS

The detective was watching the house most of the time since he was lonely and had the hots for Ann big time. Just like Detective Cornell did in I Wake Up Screaming. Steve Fisher penned the novel IWUS and wrote the screenplay for IWBIYS.

I know. But it all seemed too pat!
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

What is on Noir Alley on Dec. 16/17? I pulled up the TCM schedule for Saturday and Sunday and there is a 1.5 hour gap where Noir Alley usually sits.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
jamesjazzguitar

ElCid wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:52 am What is on Noir Alley on Dec. 16/17? I pulled up the TCM schedule for Saturday and Sunday and there is a 1.5 hour gap where Noir Alley usually sits.
Beware, My Lovely (1952), with Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan. A domestic RKO noir.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

More like a woman in distress film! Victorian style.
jamesjazzguitar

Hibi wrote: December 15th, 2023, 11:25 am More like a woman in distress film! Victorian style.
Woman in distress film, for sure, but I'm not following the Victorian style comment. If I recall correctly the time period is the 50s, in a mid-sized American town.

(now Ladies in Retirement is Victorian style).