I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by TikiSoo »

Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:47 am AUTHOR'S NOTE, THIS IS A REVIEW IN PROGRESS, DON'T READ UNTIL I REMOVE THIS NOTE
OMIGOD- I can't wait!!

I saw this when it first came out, my friend was big into Ken Russell. All I remember about this movie was a compelling story but uneasiness watching it. As always with Russell's films (despite the fact it takes place in soothing water) I feel dirty after watching them.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

TikiSoo wrote: December 15th, 2023, 9:04 am
Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:47 am AUTHOR'S NOTE, THIS IS A REVIEW IN PROGRESS, DON'T READ UNTIL I REMOVE THIS NOTE
OMIGOD- I can't wait!!

I saw this when it first came out, my friend was big into Ken Russell. All I remember about this movie was a compelling story but uneasiness watching it. As always with Russell's films (despite the fact it takes place in soothing water) I feel dirty after watching them.
aw, me public.

go ahead and read, although it's a little unfocused as a review, but then again, so is the film i reviewed.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Just a few more things to tack on in re: ALTERED STATES (I know I took a real side road kvetching about the continuity/time and place issues of the movie, but they were maddening**)

the SCORE and SOUND were nominated for OSCARS, I can't really comment on what makes GREAT SOUND DESIGN, but THE SCORE was working OVERTIME to SELL SOME RIDICULOUS S*** TO THE AUDIENCE, IE THE CAVE MAN RUN AMOK SEQUENCE. and it deserved an "A" for effort no matter what, even if it was maybe more outre than innovative.

BLAIR BROWN was really good, and really beautiful in this- I'm sorry her role was written the way it was, not just the dialogue she had to utter, but some of her character's more IDIOTIC CHOICES. She actually had A BIG SCENE near the end where she breaks down and confesses she's hopelessly in love with WILLIAM HURT'S character and always has been even though he's basically a real jerk, and if it didn't come right after about an hour and 15 minutes of ABSOLUTE HOOEY, it would've been all the more impressive.

**no wait, I'm sorry, here;s ONE MORE THING, at the end of the movie, the LAB FACILITY in downtown BOSTON (you know, the one right by THE ZOO) has AN ESTABLISHING SHOT WHERE WE SEE A HALLWAY FULL OF SCIENTISTS AND ASSORTED FACILITY WORKERS. THE FOUR MAIN CHARACTERS then proceed into THEIR LAB- which is (again) one of a row of lab rooms on a crowded, fully occupied floor at a busy research facility- AND PROCEED TO BREAK THROUGH THE FIFTH DIMENSION TO THE MOTHER F****ING CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION, THEY MELT THE MACHINE, THEY TURN THE FLOOR OF THE LAB INTO A MASSIVE SWIRLING VORTEX WHICH SWALLOWS MATTER, THEY MAKE A SERIES OF SOUNDS AKIN TO TEARING A 747 APART AND NOT ONE PERSON FROM OUTSIDE COMES RUNNING TO SEE JUST WHAT' IN THE LOUDASSED HELL HAS JUST GONE DOWN . NOT ONE OF THE MANY SCIENTISTS WE SAW EARLIER COME RUNNING INTO THE ROOM LIKE, "SERIOUSLY? DID YOU GUYS JUST FIND A NEW WAY TO SPLIT THE ATOM OR GET INTO SOME INTERDIMENSIONAL S*** IN THE HERE? YOU MELTED THREE FLOORS OF THE BUILDING, KNOCKED OUT THE WI-FI AND WE'RE ALL PARTIALLY BLIND FROM THE GOD LIGHT!!!!!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: December 14th, 2023, 3:32 pm
this influx of these titles heretofore EXCLUSIVELY SEEN ON A CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK (mostly) has me wondering if THAT CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK might be waiting for CEDRIC HARDWICKE to get out of the apple tree any day now (ie ON BORROWED TIME)

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?

(Although I have my suspicions that part of why they shut down THE MESSAGEBOARDS over at youknowwhere is because 90% of the time we were talking about movies and things we'd seen on streaming services and places other than youknowwhere.

Probably those message boards were shut down because those in charge discovered that they weren't leading to any significant purchases of DVDSs, books or other merchandise that the network was selling.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:08 pm no wait, I'm sorry, here;s ONE MORE THING,

at the end of the movie, the LAB FACILITY in downtown BOSTON (you know, the one right by THE ZOO) has AN ESTABLISHING SHOT WHERE WE SEE A HALLWAY FULL OF SCIENTISTS AND ASSORTED FACILITY WORKERS. THE FOUR MAIN CHARACTERS then proceed into THEIR LAB- which is (again) one of a row of lab rooms on a crowded, fully occupied floor at a busy research facility- AND PROCEED TO BREAK THROUGH THE FIFTH DIMENSION TO THE MOTHER F****ING CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION, THEY MELT THE MACHINE, THEY TURN THE FLOOR OF THE LAB INTO A MASSIVE SWIRLING VORTEX WHICH SWALLOWS MATTER, THEY MAKE A SERIES OF SOUNDS AKIN TO TEARING A 747 APART AND NOT ONE PERSON FROM OUTSIDE COMES RUNNING TO SEE JUST WHAT' IN THE LOUDASSED HELL HAS JUST GONE DOWN. NOT ONE OF THE MANY SCIENTISTS WE SAW EARLIER COME RUNNING INTO THE ROOM LIKE, "SERIOUSLY? DID YOU GUYS JUST FIND A NEW WAY TO SPLIT THE ATOM OR GET INTO SOME INTERDIMENSIONAL S*** IN THE HERE? YOU MELTED THREE FLOORS OF THE BUILDING, KNOCKED OUT THE WI-FI AND WE'RE ALL PARTIALLY BLIND FROM THE GOD LIGHT!!!!!
I find this perfectly believable.

Have you heard of: "The Demon Core"? It was approx. fourteen pounds of plutonium molded into two hemispheres. Experiments were being conducted on the effects of neutrons being reflected back into the mass as the two pieces were brought close together. The researcher's screwdriver slipped and the two halves came together. The core instantly became supercritical and released an intense burst of radiation.

Investigation into the incident revealed that there were a minimum of ninety-four scientists/technicians/observers/guards in laboratories/workshops/offices below, beside and above where the accident happened. A few stated that they heard shouts by people in that laboratory and strange noises. Most claimed they heard nothing despite evidence that even a loud speaking voice could be heard in adjoining rooms. Radiation detectors throughout the building registered the burst.

Not one person went to see what happened. None reported any knowledge that there had been an incident before being questioned.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:08 pm Just a few more things to tack on in re: ALTERED STATES
the SCORE and SOUND were nominated for OSCARS, I can't really comment on what makes GREAT SOUND DESIGN, but THE SCORE was working OVERTIME to SELL SOME RIDICULOUS S*** TO THE AUDIENCE, IE THE CAVE MAN RUN AMOK SEQUENCE.
(snipped)
AND NOT ONE PERSON FROM OUTSIDE COMES RUNNING TO SEE JUST WHAT' IN THE LOUDASSED HELL HAS JUST GONE DOWN [/color][/b].
Haha-yes! Last night I noticed weird inappropriate music watching Ken Russell's THE DEVILS '71. Again, I had seen it went it first came out with my Russell fan friend.
(He was my BEST FRIEND's boyfriend and she is a devout Christian. I can't begin to describe how uncomfortable I was watching that crazy movie with her sitting next to me)

Most of Russell's movies contain disturbing imagery, & during the intense orgy scene of maybe 20 Nuns Possessed by the devil, the music was bombastic with confused horns & random instrumentation sounding more like a 5 minute pre-show tuning than an orchestrated soundtrack of 1600's France. Maybe it was supposed to be scary but as always, Russell misses the mark.

I know Lorna has a thing for Oliver Reed- yes he has beautiful, even proportioned facial features and cute tousled hair. Kind of smoldering handsome but with that soft barrel shaped body he NEEDS to be charming! Reed always strikes me as repugnant, maybe the roles he chooses?
Eww.

Masha wrote: December 15th, 2023, 6:16 pm I find this perfectly believable. Have you heard of: "The Demon Core"?
Wow- you sure know some amazing stories!
Guess I've always been aware how our education system falls short in comparison with others.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: December 16th, 2023, 9:00 am
Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:08 pm Just a few more things to tack on in re: ALTERED STATES
the SCORE and SOUND were nominated for OSCARS, I can't really comment on what makes GREAT SOUND DESIGN, but THE SCORE was working OVERTIME to SELL SOME RIDICULOUS S*** TO THE AUDIENCE, IE THE CAVE MAN RUN AMOK SEQUENCE.
(snipped)
AND NOT ONE PERSON FROM OUTSIDE COMES RUNNING TO SEE JUST WHAT' IN THE LOUDASSED HELL HAS JUST GONE DOWN [/color][/b].
Haha-yes! Last night I noticed weird inappropriate music watching Ken Russell's THE DEVILS '71. Again, I had seen it went it first came out with my Russell fan friend.
(He was my BEST FRIEND's boyfriend and she is a devout Christian. I can't begin to describe how uncomfortable I was watching that crazy movie with her sitting next to me)

Most of Russell's movies contain disturbing imagery, & during the intense orgy scene of maybe 20 Nuns Possessed by the devil, the music was bombastic with confused horns & random instrumentation sounding more like a 5 minute pre-show tuning than an orchestrated soundtrack of 1600's France. Maybe it was supposed to be scary but as always, Russell misses the mark.

I know Lorna has a thing for Oliver Reed- yes he has beautiful, even proportioned facial features and cute tousled hair. Kind of smoldering handsome but with that soft barrel shaped body he NEEDS to be charming! Reed always strikes me as repugnant, maybe the roles he chooses?
Eww.

Masha wrote: December 15th, 2023, 6:16 pm I find this perfectly believable. Have you heard of: "The Demon Core"?
Wow- you sure know some amazing stories!
Guess I've always been aware how our education system falls short in comparison with others.
The incredible thing is that there were two separate fatal incidents with this thing, in Los Alamos.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Oliver Reed had an interesting lineage. His grandfather was Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree, one of the great Victorian actor-managers. His uncle was film director Carol Reed.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Masha wrote: December 15th, 2023, 6:16 pm

I find this perfectly believable. Have you heard of: "The Demon Core"? It was approx. fourteen pounds of plutonium molded into two hemispheres. Experiments were being conducted on the effects of neutrons being reflected back into the mass as the two pieces were brought close together. The researcher's screwdriver slipped and the two halves came together. The core instantly became supercritical and released an intense burst of radiation.
Investigation into the incident revealed that there were a minimum of ninety-four scientists/technicians/observers/guards in laboratories/workshops/offices below, beside and above where the accident happened. A few stated that they heard shouts by people in that laboratory and strange noises. Most claimed they heard nothing despite evidence that even a loud speaking voice could be heard in adjoining rooms. Radiation detectors throughout the building registered the burst. Not one person went to see what happened. None reported any knowledge that there had been an incident before being questioned.
before i was able to join up here, I was trying to explain to my Therapist some of the unique things I missed the most about the messageboard experience, not the least among which are those occasions where- WHILE REVIEWING A FILM- I wander four farms over on a looooooooooong RAAAAAAAMBLING diatribe about something- possibly even an inconsequential detail about a film- and someone will not only take the time to READ MY CRAZED RANTING, but they HEAR ME OUT, and they REPLY with something THAT I GENUINELY LEARN FROM.

Thank you so much, Masha.

I drop THAT PARTICULAR CHARGE from MY LIST OF CINEMATIC CRIMES committed by ALTERED STATES, but JUST THAT.

and again, I thank you.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

TikiSoo wrote: December 16th, 2023, 9:00 am

OMG, WHERE DID YOU SEE "THE DEVILS"??????

I've only seen it twice, and it MELTED MY MIND BOTH TIMES. I get and respect that it was not your kind of film (it's sure as s*** not for everyone!), but do you see what I mean when I say that THE DEVILS (1971) is simultaneously the most moral and the most immoral film I've ever seen-???

on one hand, you have all the orgies and topless nuns riding the statue of Christ- but then on the other hand, you have OLIVER REED'S CHARACTER, who stands by his principles and his faith and the truth and suffers for it, but dies nobly. \

and it is a visually striking movie, i mean, even the orgy scenes are filmed masterfully- like something out of DW GRIFFITH (on acid.)
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Bananas (1971) Woody Allen satirizes Latin American political instability (a subject never out of the news) by playing Fielding Mellish, reluctant leftist rebel engaged in toppling the military dictatorship in fictional San Marcos. Loose and irreverent, funny but with a few clunkers, and quite relevant, Bananas is truly bananas. It showcases Allen’s skill as a physical comedian, and Louise Lasser is excellent as his romantic foil.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

to go on something of a tangent from OLIVER REED....

I watched this the other day and thought about posting here as it is about HISTORY and CHRISTMAS and I know there must be some ANGLOPHILES here.

One of these three archeologists actually looks a lot like OLIVER REED, but is much more useful and pleasant.

it's worth a looksie:

i did not realize until seeing it posted how oddly suggestive the thumbnail is. i don't think it's deliberate
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:47 am ...
AND YET, it is a rare instance where it's not his fault, IT'S THE WRITER'S FAULT, the writer being PADDY CHAYESFSKY- who himself wrote at least TWO SCRIPTS that (like RUSSELL'S pair of aces) command my eternal respect- MARTY and NETWORK, they're both great, I have no notes. (I think he also wrote the script for THE WAY WE WERE and THE HOSPITAL- the latter of which I've seen but don't recall much about other than it wasn't bad in spite of being awfully glib about rape, but i digress.)

I don't agree, LORNA. Both writer and director saw value in the property, so why part despising one another? If ALTERED STATES is a failure (silly anyway) how is the vision not at least partly responsible? Their visions apparently differed. The final product is ultimately the director's...vision.

I hadn't realized that the script was CHAYEFSKY and the direction RUSSELL, which is why I'd stayed up to watch.

BTW I am a fan of CHAYEFSKY for both NETWORK and THE HOSPITAL (check it out).

Have you watched MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1959) ?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Allhallowsday wrote: December 16th, 2023, 1:53 pm
Lorna wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:47 am ...
AND YET, it is a rare instance where it's not his fault, IT'S THE WRITER'S FAULT, the writer being PADDY CHAYESFSKY- who himself wrote at least TWO SCRIPTS that (like RUSSELL'S pair of aces) command my eternal respect- MARTY and NETWORK, they're both great, I have no notes. (I think he also wrote the script for THE WAY WE WERE and THE HOSPITAL- the latter of which I've seen but don't recall much about other than it wasn't bad in spite of being awfully glib about rape, but i digress.)

I don't agree, LORNA. Both writer and director saw value in the property, so why part despising one another? If ALTERED STATES is a failure (silly anyway) how is the vision not at least partly responsible? Their visions apparently differed. The final product is ultimately the director's...vision.

I hadn't realized that the script was CHAYEFSKY and the direction RUSSELL, which is why I'd stayed up to watch.

BTW I am a fan of CHAYEFSKY for both NETWORK and THE HOSPITAL (check it out).

Have you watched MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1959) ?
i see where you're coming from.

i'm taking a slightly forensic approach as to what with wrong with ALTERED STATES and I'm probably inserting my own opinions and feelings and intuitions and even prejudices as a(n amateur and unproduced) writer when getting to the root of why the souffle didn't rise with this one...

yes, there are absolutely faults with KEN RUSSELL'S direction, but I really firmly believe that (more importantly) THE SCRIPT was in DIRE NEED of a second pass/rewrite- something to make the dialogue less BAROQUE, to clear up some of the transitions from scene to scene that don't flow and leave the viewer with the feeling that at least 40 minutes of this film hit must've the editing room floor

and I have no way of proving it,
but I would just be willing to venture this was because PADDY CHAYESFSKY was reluctant to make changes because, as the author, he was too close to the source material and (AGAIN THIS IS CONJECTURE) i think this was a very personal story for him.

maybe i place more blame for the failure of ALTERED STATES on CHAYEFSKY because I EXPECT A LOT OUT OF HIM
- his script for just MARTY alone is a textbook example of how you write a great g**damn script, so i get bent out of shape when i see the problems with ALTERED STATES and it's easier to attribute those faults to his script and what I can only presume was his unwillingness to rewrite some stuff that needed it.

on the other hand, I don't tend to expect a lot from KEN RUSSELL-
so the fact that he did a competent job in certain sequences makes me perhaps cut him some slack.

this is all conjecture on my part.

and if i am right and CHAYEFSKY wouldn't budge on tweaking the script, I can't say as I blame him because he had on numerous occasions knocked it out of the park (all while fighting studios and producers who wanted rewrites) to a point where he felt like he didn't need to listen to anyone.