MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo!! I think you must have been ingesting LSD instead of listening to it. LOL

Which would put you in good company with Cary Grant.

But seriously, I thank you for your support about my doggone YT situation. It's driving me crazy.

Hey, Angeleno! I lived in San Francisco and Los Angeles for several years in the 1970's, and preferred L.A. over Frisco. More small-town-ish to me, and had a lot of cool mid-century modern architecture which I infinitely like better than S.F.'s Victorian style housing. Great hamburgers, franks, pizza and roast beef sandwiches too.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:02 pm
Hey, Angeleno! I lived in San Francisco and Los Angeles for several years in the 1970's, and preferred L.A. over Frisco. More small-town-ish to me, and had a lot of cool mid-century modern architecture which I infinitely like better than S.F.'s Victorian style housing. Great hamburgers, franks, pizza and roast beef sandwiches too.
Interesting here, Bronxie. Don't think I knew you ever resided on the west coast at any time. And, that you're probably in the minority with this opinion, as I'd say the general consensus in these regards and discounting all the bad press San Francisco is getting lately, would be that The City by The Bay is a lot more beautiful and much more a cosmopolitan city than is L.A.

(...aah, but then again you DID say here that you liked more of a small town feel and which I also find an interesting comment, and considering that your formative years took place in THE most cosmopolitan city in this country)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Modern movie musing. Is it just me or is the modern fall of movies rarely more encapsulated than they were in yesterday's Golden Globes nominations? Barbie, based on the doll, was tied for second place for most nominated film of all time, tied with Cabaret, and just behind the record holder, Nashville. The idea of a film based on a Mattel product being mentioned in the same echelons of the 70s classics makes me shudder.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Modern Movie Musing reply-
CinemaInternational wrote: December 12th, 2023, 2:14 pm The idea of a film based on a (snipped) product being mentioned in the same echelons of the 70s classics makes me shudder.
Since humans are now just code sifted through AI calculations for optimum ideas/profitability, the mudslide continues.
It seems insurmountable, but humans DO have the control if we simply vote with our dollars.

Instead, the unthinking sheep flock to whatever keywords are the most highly promoted, despite actual merit.
Think Disney, Star Wars or any other tired rehash/franchise.

So why would Hollywood take a chance on a good story, well told? Are there even WRITERS out there who understand how to write a good story that engages a human mind?
Oh, I forgot...AI does the writing now too.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

TikiSoo wrote: December 13th, 2023, 5:48 am
CinemaInternational wrote: December 12th, 2023, 2:14 pm The idea of a film based on a (snipped) product being mentioned in the same echelons of the 70s classics makes me shudder.
Instead, the unthinking sheep flock to whatever keywords are the most highly promoted, despite actual merit.

So why would Hollywood take a chance on a good story, well told? Are there even WRITERS out there who understand how to write a good story that engages a human mind?
Sure, while one has to admit that the idea of a movie based upon a popular toy would seem to be a very thin concept and premise, don't forget here that this film received quite a few glowing reviews upon its release.

Evidently (according to many established critics, as I've yet to watch it myself) it tells a much more layered story than one would at first expect and supposedly is very successful as a satirical take on a number of cultural and societal issues.

(...and so in closing...I can't believe I've just defended this flick?!!!) LOL
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I Love Melvin wrote: October 31st, 2023, 6:09 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:17 pm Pondering: Why didn't Jimmy Stewart have a fan in REAR WINDOW? It was certainly hot enough in that apartment and I am not talking about Grace Kelly, lol. I'm guessing Hitchcock thought it would be more suspenseful for the audience if they sweated along with Jeff.
Good point. We see into all the apartments and it doesn't seem like any of the others have fans either, maybe because a fan could potentially block Jeff's (and our) line of vision as he snoops. The ones who might be working up the biggest sweat are the newlyweds but we don't get to see inside to find out. ;) It's odd because the presence of a fan would actually be a reminder of how hot it is, but you're probably right that the actual sweat was important to Hitchcock, who seemed always to thrive on his characters' discomfort. Let's not forget he's the one who scared people away from showering.
I watched Rear Window for the umpteenth time. I notice something new every time. This time around I noticed there is at least one fan. You can see it in a few shots of Jeff's apartment kitchen - sitting on top of some cabinets where it would do the least amount of good. The first time is when Birdie - I mean Stella - is making the massage table/bed while explaining how she predicted the crash of '29 and how she smells trouble. You can also see it when Lisa serves the lobster.

A couple of other new things for me on this viewing:

- Judith Evelyn (Miss Lonelyhearts) has a few lines before the end of the film - when she checks on the dog in the courtyard. There was a short discussion on her elsewhere a few weeks back.
- The original story was by Cornell Woolrich, who was also the source of a recent Noir Alley feature I Wouldn't Be In Your Shoes

And one thing has always bothered me about this film: It sounds like Jimmy Stewart pronounces her name as Leeza (with a Z!) instead of Lisa with an S (as Grace Kelly does).
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

This is my favorite time of year, here are some Christmas scenes from movies that I always love to see at this time-

Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
When little Natalie Wood comes to see Santa at Macy's. He tells her he is Kris Kringle, the real Santa Claus, she gives him such a look on her face. He tells her to pull on his beard to prove it's real.

Meet Me In St Louis (1944)
Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' to Margaret O'Brien

Fanny And Alexander (1982)

The scene where the family marches through the house singing a Swedish carol

What are your favorite Yuletide scenes?
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Christmas in Connecticut (1945) flapjack flipping and the Irish stew vs Goulash debate.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Metropolitan (1990) is my favorite New York Christmas movie. I don't think any other movie shows the City in all its holiday glory as well as Metropolitan. There is even a Christmas Eve scene in St. Thomas Church (Episcopal), where, on a Christmas Eve many years before the movie was filmed, I took Communion for the only time in my life (I'm not a Christian, but as a teenager studying Theology in college, I thought I should give it a try).

This movie is so Protestant that the very first sounds you hear as the credits begin are a few bars of "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God," a hymn written by Martin Luther.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

We screened MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET as our season closer. As ticket taker, I always ask if they have seen the movie before. This was the first time every single attendee had, but all interjected they love the movie & haven't seen it in a "long" time.

The entire room was sucked into the story, many scenes you could hear a pin drop, everyone laughed in the right places. It was communal movie watching at it's BEST.

My favorite scenes are the ones with Alfred.
I like the dialogue, like the charactor & like the sentiment. I also like how Santa reads between the lines and comes to Alfred's defense.

But since my name is Susan & I looked exactly like Natalie Wood as a little girl (yes just as precocious & good performer) the movie has personal meaning for me. All I ever wanted was a loving home & family...still an unfulfilled wish.

Oh yeah and when younger, my Mother looked like Maureen O'Hara...

I keep my Great Grandmother's cane propped diagonally by the front door to illustrate my faith. Very few people "recognise" this little homage-but some do!
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Metropolitan (1990) is my favorite Christmas movie, and one of my favorite movies in general. Another is The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942), with its great ensemble cast.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: December 15th, 2023, 9:52 am
I Love Melvin wrote: October 31st, 2023, 6:09 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:17 pm Pondering: Why didn't Jimmy Stewart have a fan in REAR WINDOW? It was certainly hot enough in that apartment and I am not talking about Grace Kelly, lol. I'm guessing Hitchcock thought it would be more suspenseful for the audience if they sweated along with Jeff.
Good point. We see into all the apartments and it doesn't seem like any of the others have fans either, maybe because a fan could potentially block Jeff's (and our) line of vision as he snoops. The ones who might be working up the biggest sweat are the newlyweds but we don't get to see inside to find out. ;) It's odd because the presence of a fan would actually be a reminder of how hot it is, but you're probably right that the actual sweat was important to Hitchcock, who seemed always to thrive on his characters' discomfort. Let's not forget he's the one who scared people away from showering.
I watched Rear Window for the umpteenth time. I notice something new every time. This time around I noticed there is at least one fan. You can see it in a few shots of Jeff's apartment kitchen - sitting on top of some cabinets where it would do the least amount of good. The first time is when Birdie - I mean Stella - is making the massage table/bed while explaining how she predicted the crash of '29 and how she smells trouble. You can also see it when Lisa serves the lobster.

A couple of other new things for me on this viewing:

- Judith Evelyn (Miss Lonelyhearts) has a few lines before the end of the film - when she checks on the dog in the courtyard. There was a short discussion on her elsewhere a few weeks back.
- The original story was by Cornell Woolrich, who was also the source of a recent Noir Alley feature I Wouldn't Be In Your Shoes

And one thing has always bothered me about this film: It sounds like Jimmy Stewart pronounces her name as Leeza (with a Z!) instead of Lisa with an S (as Grace Kelly does).

There is a fan?? Wow, thanks so much for this observation, tx! I will definitely be on the lookout the next time I watch!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

dianedebuda wrote: December 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm Christmas in Connecticut (1945) flapjack flipping and the Irish stew vs Goulash debate.

No disrespect to Irish stew, but I am a paprika lover. "THAT will make it goulash!"
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 3:57 pm
dianedebuda wrote: December 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm Christmas in Connecticut (1945) flapjack flipping and the Irish stew vs Goulash debate.

No disrespect to Irish stew, but I am a paprika lover. "THAT will make it goulash!"
Do you keep your paprika in the fridge? I do. Someone once told me that paprika is the one spice that you should keep in the fridge.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

TikiSoo wrote: December 16th, 2023, 9:34 am We screened MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET as our season closer. As ticket taker, I always ask if they have seen the movie before. This was the first time every single attendee had, but all interjected they love the movie & haven't seen it in a "long" time.

The entire room was sucked into the story, many scenes you could hear a pin drop, everyone laughed in the right places. It was communal movie watching at it's BEST.

My favorite scenes are the ones with Alfred.
I like the dialogue, like the charactor & like the sentiment. I also like how Santa reads between the lines and comes to Alfred's defense.

But since my name is Susan & I looked exactly like Natalie Wood as a little girl (yes just as precocious & good performer) the movie has personal meaning for me. All I ever wanted was a loving home & family...still an unfulfilled wish.

Oh yeah and when younger, my Mother looked like Maureen O'Hara...

I keep my Great Grandmother's cane propped diagonally by the front door to illustrate my faith. Very few people "recognise" this little homage-but some do!

TikiSoo, I hope you get your wish....Blessings this holiday season.