WONKA ('23)

Allhallowsday

Re: WONKA ('23)

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: December 12th, 2023, 7:53 pm
dianedebuda wrote: December 12th, 2023, 12:00 pm ... I'm all for it - although I won't go to a theater where I'd have to mingle with ... people. :lol:
(...sorry diane, but your comment here reminded me so much of this that I just couldn't resist) ;)
My friend and I when faced with a crowd at a theater or ballgame would say to each other: "People...? Aaaaaaaaaaaaahh!!!"
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 16th, 2023, 1:05 pm he has also been watered down into the blandest character imaginable. He's just a sweet nice young man who wants to make chocolates. That's it. There is none of the slightly sadistic (or, at the very least, extremely mischievous) edge with which WW was portrayed in the original movie, which is part of what makes it memorable.
Also, finding out WW's origin story makes it seem a lot more boring than he would otherwise be.
Well that sums up my impressions just from the advertisements & promos.

"Origin story" WTF? Who cares unless it's unique & revelatory?

Wouldn't it have been more interesting if WW began making treats as a "revenge" sort of thing for his enemies? Maybe he was mercilessly teased in school for being creative or sensitive and he used candy as a weapon?

Interesting origin story could have provided an illustrated example for kids, you know like a good old fashioned morality tale.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

It's on HBO now, so I took a look over Easter weekend. The supporting characters have that degree of Dahl style maliciousness about them, but they aren't really given the same buildup that Dahl would have given them (although Olivia Colman is appropriately nasty as the ruthless runner of a shanty boardinghouse/sweatshop laundry, maybe a reason why she was just cast in a remake of 1989's The War of the Roses). What it feels like more frankly is like some follow-up of sorts to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as the whole film feels like something that wondered in from the big musical era of the late 60s. That gives it enough charm, coupled with some nifty sets and camera tricks, to make it a palatable film for children.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 3:12 pm It's on HBO now, so I took a look over Easter weekend. The supporting characters have that degree of Dahl style maliciousness about them, but they aren't really given the same buildup that Dahl would have given them (although Olivia Colman is appropriately nasty as the ruthless runner of a shanty boardinghouse/sweatshop laundry, maybe a reason why she was just cast in a remake of 1989's The War of the Roses). What it feels like more frankly is like some follow-up of sorts to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as the whole film feels like something that wondered in from the big musical era of the late 60s. That gives it enough charm, coupled with some nifty sets and camera tricks, to make it a palatable film for children.
I liked Wonka a lot.
I saw it at the theater and will probably watch it again.
Olivia Colman made a great villain although her teeth looked a little too pearly white (but I guess no wants to see yellow teeth).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 4th, 2024, 9:39 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 3:12 pm It's on HBO now, so I took a look over Easter weekend. The supporting characters have that degree of Dahl style maliciousness about them, but they aren't really given the same buildup that Dahl would have given them (although Olivia Colman is appropriately nasty as the ruthless runner of a shanty boardinghouse/sweatshop laundry, maybe a reason why she was just cast in a remake of 1989's The War of the Roses). What it feels like more frankly is like some follow-up of sorts to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as the whole film feels like something that wondered in from the big musical era of the late 60s. That gives it enough charm, coupled with some nifty sets and camera tricks, to make it a palatable film for children.
I liked Wonka a lot.
I saw it at the theater and will probably watch it again.
Olivia Colman made a great villain although her teeth looked a little too pearly white (but I guess no wants to see yellow teeth).
I also noticed how nice Olivia Colman's teeth looked in WONKA.
Like you, I enjoyed the movie.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 3:12 pmIt's on HBO now, so I took a look over Easter weekend. ... the whole film feels like something that wondered in from the big musical era of the late 60s. That gives it enough charm, coupled with some nifty sets and camera tricks
So happy you posted this. Watched it last night and found it charming. The new songs are light and within Timothee Chalamet's vocal chops. But after watching, I went down the youtube rabbit hole again for hours listening to versions of one of my favorite songs, Pure Imagination. My favorites were and still are:

and
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

dianedebuda wrote: April 7th, 2024, 9:00 am
CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 3:12 pmIt's on HBO now, so I took a look over Easter weekend. ... the whole film feels like something that wondered in from the big musical era of the late 60s. That gives it enough charm, coupled with some nifty sets and camera tricks
So happy you posted this. Watched it last night and found it charming. The new songs are light and within Timothee Chalamet's vocal chops. But after watching, I went down the youtube rabbit hole again for hours listening to versions of one of my favorite songs, Pure Imagination. My favorites were and still are:

and

I went to high school with one of the singers in the Hofstra University video!
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 7th, 2024, 5:54 pmI went to high school with one of the singers in the Hofstra University video!
What a small world!