I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: December 21st, 2023, 9:29 pm
For a while I wondered if somehow I had something to do with Ann Reinking's death.
I watched Annie and then the next day I learned that she died.
I've had that happen too.
Also there was one time not too long ago where I was driving and THE PRETENDERS were playing on three different SIRIUS stations at once
and I FREAKED OUT thinking that something had happened to CHRISSIE HYNDE and I pulled over in the parking lot of a TRADER JOE'S and GOOGLED HER just to make sure she was okay.

She was, and is (insofar as I know) as of my writing this....I, on the other hand, BARELY MADE IT OUT OF THE PARKING LOT ALIVE, (but that's a TRADER'S JOE'S PARKING LOT for you.)

seriously, what tiny, sadistic b****** do they have designing those things?
Last edited by Lorna on December 22nd, 2023, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

posted because, WHY NOT?

BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 21st, 2023, 2:54 pm
Lorna wrote: December 21st, 2023, 12:48 pm this mentioning of WILLIAM HURT has reminded me of an amusing anecdote from my childhood in NORTH CAROLINA.

when I saw the title and newspaper ad** for KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, my heart skipped a beat.

Going off that title and florid little ad with THE LIPS and THE WEB, my warped little 8 year old brain envisioned the film to be something like a cross between a LIVE ACTION version of CHER'S ANIMATED VIDEO for the song DARK LADY and the SATAN'S ALLEY FINALE from STAYIN ALIVE.

YES!!!!!!

I saw The Cher Show on Broadway, featuring Stephanie J. Block in her Tony-award winning role.
One of the highlights of the show was "Dark Lady."
It was performed as a duet by Sonny Bono and Gregg Allman with a mesmerizing dance performance by a "fantasy Cher" and a group of chorus boys

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lorna wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 2:53 pm posted because, WHY NOT?

I was listening to that tonight. What a wonderful song. I wrote a review of that album at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... dctrvw_srp
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

txfilmfan wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:04 am Those Paul Masson ads were spoofed and joked about (Johnny Carson had a field day with it) all the time back in the day. They were hilarious enough without the outtakes. I seem to remember John Candy playing Welles in one spoof.
Happy holidays to everyone at the SSO...
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Omigod that Orson Welles/Liberace skit is a RIOT!
Thank you for making my day, lunatic! (I loathe this time of year)
Lorna wrote: December 21st, 2023, 2:21 pm I was born in 1978 and came of age in the 80's and 90's, where i went to the movies verrrry regularly. when i became a classic movie fan, I SPECIFICALLY BYPASSED FILMS OF THE 1970S and instead gravitated towards the 30s and 40s and 50s...
it wasn't until 10 years ago that i got to a point where I had seen A LOT of those decades and was looking for something new, SO I figured I'd take a deeper dive into FILMS OF THE 1970's
Amazing how similar our cinema journeys. :smiley_cheers:
I was born in 1961 and always enjoyed "Kiddie Cinema" TV shows that screened stuff like Godzilla, Road Pictures, Abbott & Costello... Gay Pur-ee was a fave.

I rarely got to go to the movies in a theater but did manage to see HELP! '65 with my older brother and WILLY WONKA '71 with friends (because THEIR parents routinely sent them to the theater-discovery of my cloistered childhood!)

By time I was a teen, Hollywood was going through it's re-discovery and I engorged myself watching 20's 30's 40's classic film on TV. Yup with all those commercial breaks.
I received cable (TCM) as a Christmas gift in my 30's and was OFF but like you, not so interested in 70s-80s. I don't like violence/gore/swearing/sex in movies.

About a decade ago realized I had completely exhausted all my favorite genres and began expanding out. Now I record mostly 60's/70's/80's films I had missed while concentrating on career & family.

Nothing is worse than having "seen them ALL"....I've only discovered gems like NETWORK in the past 5 years! And I've built up a tolerance to the violence.
But there's still movies I just can't watch-GOODFELLAS made me puke in the first 20 min.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Grumpytoad wrote: December 21st, 2023, 8:38 pm
Peter Sellers has three roles, and was recognized professionally for his efforts. I enjoyed his performances well enough...
Yep GT, and I was always especially impressed with Sellers' ability to do a good American midwestern accent while he played the President Merkin Muffley character, as I've tended to notice many British actors seem to fall into more of a southern accent when they're attempting an American accent.

(...especially so it's always seemed to me of British actors of an earlier era, as I've noticed there now days seems to be a number of British actors who can do a pretty decent "standard" midwestern accent when their roles call for it)
Grumpytoad wrote: December 21st, 2023, 8:38 pm
Nice decision choosing Slim Pickens for the role of a military officer. He fit in perfectly for portraying a sort of good ole boy for whom duty is the ultimate reward.
You probably know that Sellers was also originally slated to play the Maj. Kong part as well, but reportedly due to a sprained ankle he suffered during filming, the role was then given to Pickens.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I know the feeling of being a jinx. For a while, I had the habit of thinking of something relating to a few people and then found out they had died. JSuch was the case with Sidney Lumet, Peter Falk, Marvin Hamlisch, Celeste Holm, and a few others....
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 10:13 am
Lorna wrote: December 21st, 2023, 2:21 pm I was born in 1978 and came of age in the 80's and 90's, where i went to the movies verrrry regularly. when i became a classic movie fan, I SPECIFICALLY BYPASSED FILMS OF THE 1970S and instead gravitated towards the 30s and 40s and 50s...
it wasn't until 10 years ago that i got to a point where I had seen A LOT of those decades and was looking for something new, SO I figured I'd take a deeper dive into FILMS OF THE 1970's
Amazing how similar our cinema journeys. :smiley_cheers:
I was born in 1961 and always enjoyed "Kiddie Cinema" TV shows that screened stuff like Godzilla, Road Pictures, Abbott & Costello... Gay Pur-ee was a fave.

I rarely got to go to the movies in a theater but did manage to see HELP! '65 with my older brother and WILLY WONKA '71 with friends (because THEIR parents routinely sent them to the theater-discovery of my cloistered childhood!)

By time I was a teen, Hollywood was going through it's re-discovery and I engorged myself watching 20's 30's 40's classic film on TV. Yup with all those commercial breaks.
I received cable (TCM) as a Christmas gift in my 30's and was OFF but like you, not so interested in 70s-80s. I don't like violence/gore/swearing/sex in movies.

About a decade ago realized I had completely exhausted all my favorite genres and began expanding out. Now I record mostly 60's/70's/80's films I had missed while concentrating on career & family.

Nothing is worse than having "seen them ALL"....I've only discovered gems like NETWORK in the past 5 years! And I've built up a tolerance to the violence.
But there's still movies I just can't watch-GOODFELLAS made me puke in the first 20 min.
For me, the decade that I neglected for the longest time was the 1950s.
I became interested in classic movies as a kid as an outgrowth of my love of classic television fostered by watching Nick At Nite and other cable channels.

By the time I was a teenager, I fell in love with the movies of the 1970s (the writing, the acting, the overall aesthetic for lack of a better word.)
I also loved the the 1930s and 1940s as well as the 1960s (so many fun movies from that decade). I also loved silent movies.
But the American movies of the 1950s struck me (as a whole) as very sappy. This was the time when the restraints of the Hollywood production code seemed really ridiculous. (There, of course, were directors like Alfred Hitchcock and Nicholas Ray who were able to subvert the code.)
It has only been in the last 10 years or so that I have really begun to appreciate the 1950s.
Interestingly enough, two of my all-time favorite "movie stars" --- James Dean and Marylin Monroe --- are associated with the decade that (as a whole) took me the longest time to appreciate,
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 1:57 pm I know the feeling of being a jinx. For a while, I had the habit of thinking of something relating to a few people and then found out they had died. JSuch was the case with Sidney Lumet, Peter Falk, Marvin Hamlisch, Celeste Holm, and a few others....
in the .00000001 in eighty-thousandgooglebillionjillionth chance that your thinking of any one of those names that you listed somehow in fact DID lead to their death, then don't feel too bad. They were taken, at most, minutes before their time.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 2:05 pm.

By the time I was a teenager, I fell in love with the movies of the 1970s (the writing, the acting, the overall aesthetic for lack of a better word.)
I also loved the the 1930s and 1940s as well as the 1960s (so many fun movies from that decade). I also loved silent movies.
But the American movies of the 1950s struck me (as a whole) as very sappy. This was the time when the restraints of the Hollywood production code seemed really ridiculous. (There, of course, were directors like Alfred Hitchcock and Nicholas Ray who were able to subvert the code.)It has only been in the last 10 years or so that I have really begun to appreciate the 1950s.
Interestingly enough, two of my all-time favorite "movie stars" --- James Dean and Marylin Monroe --- are associated with the decade that (as a whole) took me the longest time to appreciate,
[the following is a controversial statement]

TO ME, the most CONFOUNDING THING about the fifties is how INCREDIBLY WRONG the critical concensus was about films of the time and how odd the public taste was- going by what films made money at the box office. I mean, if you go back every year- some of the best reviewed and most rewarded and referenced and iconized films that really influenced culture are- on 21st century viewing- some of the least interesting and/or most problematic in terms of story or casting or just presenting something that rings true all these decades later.

many (not all) of the films considered GREAT in the 30s and 40s and 60s and 70s, still hold up to viewing today, whereas a lot of the films of the 1950s that were considered MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE MEDIUM at the time and in the years after were, in my opinion, just not very good to begin with- BEN-HUR, ON THE WATERFRONT, ALL ABOUT EVE, GIANT, GIGI etc.

it's the little films- and A LOT OF FOREIGN FILMS- of the 1950s where you come across stuff that holds up today.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 10:13 am ...I was born in 1961 ...

A great transitional year... me too on All Hallows Day...
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Since Lorna and Tiki have made a go of it telling personal stories of their movie journeys, I guess I might as well join in.

My name is Brendan. I was born in 1995, which means that I am pretty close to being the baby of the board (I think NickandNora and LostHorizons are both a year younger). I caught the movie bug extremely early, while I was a toddler, actually. By the time I was three, the fever was in full force, of course mostly kids films at that age (a lot of Disney) mixed with a few of my parents' films, which tended to a lot of romances of then current vintage. I had already by that tender age started in on watching Siskel and Ebert every week on TV, and (having learned to read very early also at three) started rummaging through the newspaper every week to look at movie reviews. I especially loved the Sunday New York Times which had this big, fat section filled with posters for almost all the new releases, and it was always pure fascination.

I had seen some vintage Disney and other family films plus Shirley Temple and Audrey Hepburn titles as a child, but my first main forays into classic films were in the late 2000s, when I had become disillusioned by how bad the new releases seemed (and they would get much worse. Sigh. It feels like films fell apart completely as I came of age). So, I remember going on some tears, one involving MGM musicals, one of Doris Day films, one of Hitchcock titles. I also started browsing on the TCM website in the late 2000s, even though I had no access to the channel. But it really took off in 2011 after seeing Bringing Up Baby and Citizen Kane in quick succession. That started a search for more classic titles that proved to be quite rewarding, and then TCM entered into my life for the first time later that year, and I was an addict to the channel, watching it whenever I could. My first run with the channel ended in 2014, when it was suddenly dropped by the cable company, but by that time I had found a lot of classics on DVD and I was regularly brousing the TCM messageboards. (Full confession: I used to have an earlier account on the TCM messageboards before the one you know me from. Nobody would remember me from back then, but I remember having a tiff with the late FredCDobbs. I hope I have matured and have become a more empathetic person since then. I definitely know I am not as brash and arrogant as I was, which is good)

At that juncture, I wandered back into modern films for a while after joining the Oscar board on IMDb, and I was racing around trying to fill in gaps so I could stay current and to attend to Oscar nominated films that I hadn't seen (I really regret spending so much time on some of the post-2000 releases though; at least half the time it was a complete waste of time, although there were some good ones). It got to the point where seeing three or four films a day was normal, a pace kept up for years. But I started tilting heavily toward classics again when TCM came back to me in 2017. I went back to check out just about anything that was on demand, and hit up more DVDs, mailing services, and streaming services to go after more titles. And you have all known me since I started my main account on TCM in 2016, and I loved to talk with all of you about films, and watched some at your suggestions. And it has been great to stay with you all over there and now here, you are honestly all my best friends, and you feel like beloved family members to me. It's always a joy to get online and see you all talk on every topic whatsoever.

By now, I have canvassed over 7,600 films, with approximately half being classic, and half more "modern" (although this group is heavily bunched toward the 1963-1996 period, as post 2000 films still make up less than 13%.), with the halfway mark occuring in 1963. I kind of feel as though I am running out of things to watch, but I'm largely content with what I have seen, and will continue searching for titles on TCM and online that are classics that will be new to me.

I guess I can include a breakdown by decade of how many from each era I saw....
1900s 2
1910s 35
1920s 335
1930s 1222
1940s 1011
1950s 957
1960s 774
1970s 644
1980s 782
1990s 894
2000s 477
2010s 429
2020s 63
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE HOMECOMING (1971) My favorite TV movie, my favorite Christmas movie, I watched it on VHS since the '80s, and now DVD. My mother had her first color TV the year this premiered.

BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 5:15 pm Since Lorna and Tiki have made a go of it telling personal stories of their movie journeys, I guess I might as well join in.

My name is Brendan. I was born in 1995, which means that I am pretty close to being the baby of the board (I think NickandNora and LostHorizons are both a year younger). I caught the movie bug extremely early, while I was a toddler, actually. By the time I was three, the fever was in full force, of course mostly kids films at that age (a lot of Disney) mixed with a few of my parents' films, which tended to a lot of romances of then current vintage. I had already by that tender age started in on watching Siskel and Ebert every week on TV, and (having learned to read very early also at three) started rummaging through the newspaper every week to look at movie reviews. I especially loved the Sunday New York Times which had this big, fat section filled with posters for almost all the new releases, and it was always pure fascination.

I had seen some vintage Disney and other family films plus Shirley Temple and Audrey Hepburn titles as a child, but my first main forays into classic films were in the late 2000s, when I had become disillusioned by how bad the new releases seemed (and they would get much worse. Sigh. It feels like films fell apart completely as I came of age). So, I remember going on some tears, one involving MGM musicals, one of Doris Day films, one of Hitchcock titles. I also started browsing on the TCM website in the late 2000s, even though I had no access to the channel. But it really took off in 2011 after seeing Bringing Up Baby and Citizen Kane in quick succession. That started a search for more classic titles that proved to be quite rewarding, and then TCM entered into my life for the first time later that year, and I was an addict to the channel, watching it whenever I could. My first run with the channel ended in 2014, when it was suddenly dropped by the cable company, but by that time I had found a lot of classics on DVD and I was regularly brousing the TCM messageboards. (Full confession: I used to have an earlier account on the TCM messageboards before the one you know me from. Nobody would remember me from back then, but I remember having a tiff with the late FredCDobbs. I hope I have matured and have become a more empathetic person since then. I definitely know I am not as brash and arrogant as I was, which is good)
Thanks for sharing!

I was born in 2001 so I possibly might be the youngest person who posts here. My 20-year-old cousin (who is also my best friend) reads the postings here although she does not post herself (she doesn't have an account).

I grew up in Middlesex County, New Jersey (part of the New York City metropolitan area) and started going to Broadway musicals at a very early age. I also became interested in movie musical and discovered TCM as a kid. TCM opened the door to all kinds of movies, although musicals remain my favorite genre.
I think the first thread I started at the old TCM message boards was one about Cabaret, which is my favorite movie of all time.
Other favorites are Victor/Victoria, The Sound Of Music, Funny Girl, Mary Poppins and Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

My favorite actors are Julie Andrews, Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand, Catherine Deneuve, Elizabeth Taylor, Cary Grant and Meryl Streep.
My favorite movie directors are Bob Fosse, William Wyler, Jacques Demy, Alfred Hitchcock and Blake Edwads.

My account name on the TCM message boards was BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls. (You can probably figure out the inspiration.)
I shortened it to BagelOnAPlate here.

At the TCM message boards, I also had a run-in with another poster. That person sent me a nasty private message because I dared to correct them publicly. They also belittled me on those boards because I enjoy Disney movies.
There were a few know-it-all posters there who irritated me royally, but there was only that one that I got into an argument with.